Battlestar Galactica

Started by meatball, June 12, 2005, 09:40:42 PM

pete

see?  not funny, and patronizing.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

New Battlestar Prequel Coming

SCI FI Channel announced that it will air a new Battlestar Galactica two-hour prequel movie, set to air in 2009 following the conclusion of the series.

Directed by star Edward James Olmos, the as-yet-untitled new film will be set before the events of the original Battlestar miniseries and will focus on Cylons: Number One, known as Cavil (Dean Stockwell), resistance leader Sam T. Anders (Michael Trucco) and Chief Galen Tyrol (Aaron Douglas).

In the beginning, the Cylons had a plan, but it didn't account for one thing: survivors. During the chaotic aftermath of the nuclear destruction, two powerful Cylon agents struggle with plots and priorities on the human ships that got away and among the resistance fighters who were left behind.

The film will be written by Jane Espenson and will begin shooting in Vancouver, Canada, at the end of the summer. After airing on SCI FI, it will be released on DVD by Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

The final 10 episodes of the fourth and last season of Battlestar Galactica will begin airing on SCI FI Channel in 2009.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Just finished Season One... Why didn't anyone tell me how frackin' fantastic this show is? After a string of disappointing shows (True Blood, Sarah Conner, Heroes...), this is such a welcome. None of the storylines have me reaching for the fast-forward button; they are all equally riveting. It's such a well-written, well-crafted series. The visual style of a 'documentary' feel doesn't get in the way and call attention to itself, and the special effects are top-notch. I am completely and utterly in love with Tricia Helfer and the character of Number Six. On the down side, I am not a fan of the actress playing Boomer and her limited acting skills for such a difficult role. And I'm on the fence about the actress playing Starbuck (although I like that Starbuck is female). Sometimes she comes off as trying to act tough instead of just being tough. She was terrible on Bionic Woman, but I can't hold that against her since everything about that show was terrible to begin with.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 30, 2008, 02:49:53 AM
Just finished Season One... Why didn't anyone tell me how frackin' fantastic this show is?

Because you never listen to me?  :yabbse-sad: I keep telling you what you should watch (the wire comes to mind and sopranos, although I know you didn't like it after seeing a few eps) anyway, you should must check out weeds, dexter, big love, entourage, almost anything by hbo and showtime.

After a string of disappointing shows (True Blood, Heroes...)

TB is awesome as for heroes I told ya! and I don't even know how you made it that far, one season was enough shit for me.

And I'm on the fence about the actress playing Starbuck (although I like that Starbuck is female). Sometimes she comes off as trying to act tough instead of just being tough. She was terrible on Bionic Woman, but I can't hold that against her since everything about that show was terrible to begin with.

I didn't like her character at first too, but she gets better and shows other things besides being tough.

MacGuffin

Sci Fi greenlights 'Battlestar' prequel
'Caprica' to star Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales
Source: Varitey

Sci Fi Channel has greenlit "Caprica," the much-anticipated prequel to hit series "Battlestar Galactica."

"Caprica" will star Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales, Paula Malcomson and Polly Walker, and will be set 50 years prior to "Galactica's" seminal attack on human civilization by those dreaded 'droids the Cylons. Family-drama-themed series will focus on the Earthlike planet of Caprica as two rival families deal with, among other topical issues, the broader implications of their society's emerging artificial intelligence technology sector.

Produced by Universal Cable Prods., "Caprica" will be exec produced by "Galactica" masterminds Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, along with Remi Aubuchon ("24"). The pilot was co-written by Aubuchon and Moore and directed by Jeffrey Reiner ("Friday Night Lights.")

Having already produced a two-hour backdoor pilot, Sci Fi is aiming for an early 2010 bow for the series, with production starting around the middle of next year, probably in Vancouver, where both "Galactica" and the spinoff's pilot were shot.

" 'Battlestar Galactica' was absolutely our flagship show. It put us on the map and helped transform the perception of the network," said Sci Fi prexy Dave Howe, noting that the cabler hopes to draw a broader audience to a series it sees as more compelling family drama than "space opera."

"We want people to come to this who have never heard of 'Battlestar Galactica,' " he added. "I think, because ('Galactica's') backdrop was space and spaceships, there was a barrier to entry for some viewers. 'Caprica' has none of that. It's an intense family drama set on an Earthlike planet, in the near future, speaking to a lot of the ethical dilemmas that we as a human race are going to have to face very shortly."

"Galactica" has had its fourth and final season in the can for several months, with the final 10 episodes culminating their run March 20. A two-hour movie adaptation, "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan," is slated for early summer.

Mark Stern, original programming topper for Sci Fi and Universal Cable Prods., says waiting until 2010 to bow the prequel will give the producers time to regroup the core of "Galactica's" writing staff, which has largely scattered to other shows.

"One of the other things we have going for is, this is one of the first shows we've done in conjunction with our new cable studio," Stern added. "There will be a lot of coordination between the studio and the network, not just on production, but how the series is launched, as well."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: Fernando on December 01, 2008, 10:25:39 AMBecause you never listen to me?  :yabbse-sad:

Well, it took a friend who was dressed like Number Six for Halloween to convince me. If you had done that...

Quote from: Fernando on December 01, 2008, 10:25:39 AMI keep telling you what you should watch (the wire comes to mind and sopranos, although I know you didn't like it after seeing a few eps) anyway, you should must check out weeds, dexter, big love, entourage, almost anything by hbo and showtime.

Dexter I watched a couple times when it was on network TV, and did enjoy that. I might pick up the DVDs if they are cheap. Same goes for Wire. As for Sopranos, Entourage and Big Love, I just couldn't get into them the few episodes I've seen.

Quote from: Fernando on December 01, 2008, 10:25:39 AMTB is awesome as for heroes I told ya! and I don't even know how you made it that far, one season was enough shit for me.

I'll admit that the ironic part that got me watching Blood was Alan Ball's involvement, but the episodes he hasn't written are better. But I'm still not a fan of the show. I just don't find myself caring about the characters. As for Heroes, now I'm just curious how each week it continues to jump the shark. I have slight hope that it will get better with every bit of news I hear about restructuring the series, but I know I'm just lying to myself.

Quote from: Fernando on December 01, 2008, 10:25:39 AMI didn't like her character at first too, but she gets better and shows other things besides being tough.

She's coming around to me. One minor character I had an attraction to was Cally; just liked her mousy personality. But after watching the Resistance episode when she pulled a Jack Ruby, she has become my new hero.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 03, 2008, 07:34:19 PM
Well, it took a friend who was dressed like Number Six for Halloween to convince me. If you had done that...

haha, I only hope your friend is a she and not.. :shock:..either way, you should post her (his) pics as #6

MacGuffin

Quote from: Fernando on December 04, 2008, 04:31:02 PMhaha, I only hope your friend is a she and not.. :shock:..either way, you should post her (his) pics as #6

We did take a pic together (with me in a poor attempt as Milton from Office Space). When I see her again, I'll see if I can get a copy from her.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Finished season 2, and it started off so well with season 2.0, but what happened with 2.5? That portion of the series just dropped off what was great built up; episodes were disjointed one-offs with a lot of 'where did that come from?' moments occurring; like this bad-ass killing machine Cylon, Scar, who's been a thorn in the Galactica's side for so long but was never talked about before or Apollo's relationship with D, or his lost love that he relives with some hooker he's been seeing for a while but was never mentioned in any previous episodes. It's like when Back To The Future 2 tacked on Marty's sudden gripe about being called 'chicken.' Where did that come from? That was not referrenced in the first film. Same deal here. It felt like they were bending the storylines as they sought fit to steer the show in a different direction and not worrying about reprocussions.

On to Season 3...

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Just finished Season 3...

Holy Frack!!!! I will never listen to "All Along The Watchtower" the same way again. That finale was one of the best episodes of the series. I slowly began to piece together why only they heard the music, and when the confirmation arrived as they all converged at the same place (kinda like Close Encounters when only the chosen few saw the visions of Devil's Tower), I seriously got chills. That speech by Apollo was just an example of great writing. And I can't wait to see what happens to our Savior, Baltar - Free At Last!

The series seriously got back on track this season after a weak Season 2.5, with maybe only a few misteps, but it continues to be a tried and true example of what great television should be.

On to Season 4.0 before the 4.5 premiere.

Skeleton FilmWorks

i stopped watching, and it's kinda sad that this is as good as it gets with tv sci fi nowadays. i don't know what else could be better than this, and it's really a great story, but something is missing. at christmas eve  a friend, an uncle and myself theorized about galactica til 4 am and it's a great show to talk about, but then it'll go and make stuff that will prevent it from getting to greatness. am i alone on this?

looking forward to caprica.
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Finished 4.0, and really can't wait for the premiere tomorrow. I have no idea what's in store for the charcaters, and that's a good thing because I never want to be one step ahead of the show.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Battlestar Galactica Movie Exclusive
IGN has heard that BSG will be coming to theaters.
by Jim Vejvoda

IGN Movies has learned that Universal Pictures is planning to turn the TV series Battlestar Galactica into a feature film with series creator Glen A. Larson being lined up to script and produce it.

We were informed that the film will be based on the original BSG series from 1978-79 rather than the recent reboot from Sci Fi Channel. The story followed a band of humans who were the only survivors of a devastating attack on their colonial homeworld by the vicious cybernetic race known as the Cylons. The survivors, led by Commander Adama, embark on a journey through space aboard the military vessel Battlestar Galactica to find refuge on a distant planet called Earth.

Battlestar Galactica has been in cinemas before. Re-edited versions of television episodes were released theatrically: Battlestar Galactica (1978), Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack (1978), and Conquest of the Earth (1980).

A Universal spokesperson refused to comment on rumored projects before ultimately denying it; we were later able to confirm our scoop independently. (This studio denial was reminiscent of Sony's dismissive response to our scoop about Jaden Smith starring in a Karate Kid remake, which we broke a YEAR before the project was officially announced.)

Although we understand that nothing is final yet on the BSG film front, fans should likely expect an official announcement on the project in the coming weeks.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

:yabbse-cry:

I couldn't help but go a big rubbery one. What a great and suitable finale.

Hope Caprica can follow in its footsteps.

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

SPOILERS!

No way, this finale was a huge cop-out!

FUCK THIS SHOW!

Man, it started getting less than amazing the second season, then less than great after New-Caprica... once the "All Along The Watchtower" shit started, I realized it was headed downhill, but at least it kept redeeming itself occasionally.... BUT ALL THE PROMISES IT MADE FELL TO SHIT!

What a God Damned Travesty!

There were some good moments, but what an epic way to drop the ball.  Just kept getting worse until the very end, someone stuck a dick on a fart.