Henri-Georges Clouzot

Started by modage, February 28, 2004, 10:58:03 PM

modage

dont think there's a topic for him, so i'll make one.  saw Diabolique last year and loved/bought it.  and tonite i watched Wages of Fear also very good.  the suspense was INTENSE!  anyone else have any thoughts on him or suggestions for what else is good?  i noticed godardian recently bought the raven, how's that?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I've also only seen Diabolique and Wages Of Fear, but man, they're great. Especially Wages Of Fear...I remember watching that with some friends for the first time, we had our own 24 hour art film fest, and by the time we got to that one, we were so hopped up on espresso and ephedrin that one of my friends literally got sick, he was in such suspense (not that you need espresso and ephedrin to be in suspense while watching it, as it does an excellent job all by itself).

MacGuffin

I love Wages Of Fear and Diabolique (which was fucked up with a shitty remake). Hitchcock and Clouzot were rivals for the title of Master Of Suspense, Hitchcock even persued the rights to make Diabolique, and Psycho was his effort to one up that film.

If you want to check out more Clouzot, watch Quai des Orfevres. It's not on the same level as the above mentioned, but still worth seeing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

so far, Les Diaboliques is the last movie that actually scared me...one scene made me jump in silence...i watched very late at night, alone, like six years ago or something like that...

The Raven was inmensely cool and funny too...

Find Your Magali

"Wages of Fear" is one of my all-time favorites.

As long as we're talking in other threads about double-dipping Criterions ("M"), I wouldn't mind at all getting double-dipped on Wages of Fear. That puppy needs a commentary and a behind-the-scenes doc. And maybe they could even get something from William Friedkin, who remade the film in the 70s.

w/o horse

Quote from: Find Your MagaliAs long as we're talking in other threads about double-dipping Criterions ("M"), I wouldn't mind at all getting double-dipped on Wages of Fear.

You did this, it was you.

I was thinking of picking up Quai des Orfevres, that's why I was in this topic.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

modage

i just realized i never took anyone up on their recommendations.  sorry everyone, i've been busy.   :oops:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Lottery

Finally watched Wages of Fear. Excellent stuff but I still prefer the absolutely incredible Sorcerer- which comes across as a far more desperate, miserable experience and just overall appeals to my sensibilities more.
A small thing about both- I loved how real and natural the small towns/villages were in both films. For some reason that means a lot to me.

Also, I'm wondering if this film influenced TWBB in anyway.