Where do you write and what do you use?

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 11:27:21 PM

Ernie

Quote from: pgr
Quote from: GhostboyI write in my room, in the dark, with music playing (or sometimes a movie playing in the background).

Sounds VERY familiar! I use Final Draft though. I have one of those microcassette recorder things which come in very handy if you are too lazy to write or if you wake up in the middle of the night with a great idea.. I also tend to scribble notes on anything that happens to be lying around..

Yeah, I'm always writing down notes on scrap pieces of paper around my room. It's getting kind of hard though, some of the papers are completely filled with notes, I can't even understand some of the stuff I wrote, it's so sloppy. I'm thinking about doing that cassette recorder thing.

Recce

Not that I write much, but I use Final Draft. The whole coffee shop thing sounds pretty good, though. I should try that.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Ghostboy

The problem with the coffee shop thing is that, if someone you know comes in and sits down, so much for writing.

Recce

Well, I'm not terribly popular, so not much chance of that.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

bonanzataz

People that sit in coffee shops with their laptops bug me. Me and my friends created a word - "finto" short for "fintellectual" (faux intellectual) and that is one of the characteristics. Not saying you guys are fintos are anything, there's a lot more to it than sitting in a coffee shop with a laptop.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Those would be the people who sit there with their laptops BECAUSE they have laptops, not because they have anything to write on them, right?

manhattanize

the only thing i hand write would be notes i write down when i'm not able to access a word program...

majority of the time i type...like some of you have said, typing just really speeds up my thought process, while hand writing is so primal i can't think of anything else except how i can't hear the keys...oh, how technology trains us  :wink:

when i write it becomes hard for me to stop, which can be considered a good thing most of time, but when i miss classes it can turn into something bad. oops.

i've never used any sort of program specifically for script writing...are those pretty handy? i imagine so...formatting everything becomes quite cumbersome...
"we are the dreamers of the dreams"-wonka

BrainSushi

In my room. I use Appleworks. I can't afford screenwriting software (though I'm often tempted to download something from Limewire). I don't listen to music or put on a movie while I'm writing. It distracts me.

UglyApe

I write in my dorm with Sophocles.   Damn fine program.
I AM the Pumpkin King!

The Silver Bullet

The first draft is written wherever I go and on whatever. The first third of what I am writing now was done in a caravan over New Years on a laptop; some of it was written at school on school desktops; some of it in notebooks. The official draft is on my home computer in my room, all saved to hard and floppy disk, of course. Losing writing is my biggest fear.

I usually write in a somewhat quiet area [if I'm not listen to soft music I am sitting in silence, although I did have the cricket on for most of the time in the caravan]. I am always reading to myself, and I don't mean in my head, but to whoever is listening, or to myself. I am very, very musical and rythmic in the way that I write, just in terms of trying to make something sound very fluent. I'm not always one for realism in my dialogue, and so I will sit and debate myself for hours over how to make a line fit in rythmically with another. Sorta hard to describe.

The computers I write on are not connected to the Internet, either. Which is nice. It means that I'm not tempted too much [it isn't like I can't walk two rooms down to this one though...]
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

cowboykurtis

how the hell do you write anything in a noisy cafe, or with a movie playing, or chatting online? i dont see how  that is possible to concentrate -- my writing would be gargabe if it wasnt quiet. different strokes for different folks.
...your excuses are your own...

cine

Final draft...

I sometimes use Sophocles (and I have a bust of the man himself too).. but usually I like to just sit in solitude and brainstorm shit and then just scribble down all the ideas I can.

Slick Shoes

I like writing in cafes because you are surrounded by people you don't know and sometimes by looking at them you can imagine what their life would be like and you can incorporate that into your script. I have this weird thing, though, where if I am at a cafe with my laptop, I must be sitting with my back to the wall, so nobody can see what is on my screen.

More often than not, though, I write at home. I have a studio apartment, so my bedroom is also the living room. In a typical writing session, which usually spans several hours, I alternate between my desk, the bed, and a papazan chair. I use Final Draft, but I will usually have filled up a notebook with outlines and crap before even turning on the computer. The television is turned on, but there is no sound.

ShanghaiOrange

I gonna get a voice rocorder thingy for Christmas so I can say my ideas into there and transcribe them later. That'll help because I have ideas all the time and half of them just get lost. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeI gonna get a voice rocorder thingy for Christmas so I can say my ideas into there and transcribe them later. That'll help because I have ideas all the time and half of them just get lost. :(

Little Sony recorders that cost like $40 are great... just hit a button and record.  I wouldn't go for a digital though... unless it has removable media or something...