Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

July 21, 2014

Alain Resnais' Life is a Bed of Roses (1983) and Love Unto Death (1984) on blu-ray in a 2-disc set form Cohen Media Group

Alain Resnais pays tribute to three influential French filmmakers Georges Melies, Marcel L Herbier and Eric Rohmer with this lighthearted film about happiness and the power of the imagination. Life Is a Bed of Roses is divided into three parallel narratives. The first section is set around the first decade of the twentieth century in the Ardennes, where Count Forbeck (Ruggero Raimondi) unveils his architect's designs for a utopian city. In a modern day mirroring of this story, a group of professors now inhabiting Forbeck's castle seek a new form of education through the use of the imagination, under the guidance of a guru named Guarini (Vittorio Gassman Big Deal on Madonna Street). The third segment depicts a Wagnerian fantasy landscape of kings and dragons, which arises from the imagination of the children of some of the professors at the school. With ingenuity and great craftsmanship, Resnais weaves together these three threads to make Life Is a Bed of Roses a compelling and entertaining mixture of drama, satire, comedy, fantasy and music.

In Uzès, a mysterious, austere town, four characters who live in seclusion have a simple yet superb life. It is the story of two couples. The first, Judith and Jérôme, have been living for ten years in deep, exalted mutual understanding. Both clerics, they have their own ideas on faith. Elisabeth and Simon are the other couple. Their love which is a few months old is shot through with a terrible, inescapable threat: that of their separation. Life and death, red and black, happiness and pain, passion and solitude come together in exaltation. She is illuminated by their mutual love. He is dark and tortured by a disturbing memory. This film goes beyond analysis, calling for an emotional approach. Like the passion which shines through it, it radiates violence, suffering, but above all, an immense hope, that of triumphant love.

Love Unto Death / Life is a Bed of Roses - Amazon

wilder

New 2K Restoration of Jacques Rivette's Out 1 Heading to Cinemas and Blu-ray
via blu-ray.com

French label Carlotta Films and Carlotta Films U.S. will screen a new 2K restoration of Jacques Rivette's Out 1 (1971), starring Michèle Moretti, Hermine Karagheuz, Karen Puig, Jean-Pierre Léaud, and Michael Lonsdale. The new 2K restoration will also be released on Blu-ray in France and the U.S. in Q4.

Paris, April 1970. Two theatre groups each rehearse avant-garde adaptations of plays by Aeschylus. A young deaf-mute begs for change in cafés while playing the harmonica. A young woman seduces men in order to rob them. As a conspiracy begins to be uncovered, the protagonists' stories start to intertwine... Crowned with success after L'Amour Fou, Jacques Rivette throws himself into a film project "without any time limitation" and films a group of actors in an almost constant state of improvisation as they interact with and move through the cafés, the streets, and the apartments of Paris. Equally inspired by Honoré de Balzac's History of the Thirteen and Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark, as he was by the serials of Louis Feuillade, OUT 1 is a unique snapshot of post-May 1968 society, when the utopian dreams of a new era give way to a general malaise.

AN INVISIBLE FILM FOR OVER 40 YEARS

When Jacques Rivette and his producer, Stéphane Tchalgadjieff, began the OUT 1 project, they did not set a time limit on the work. The final cut, divided into eight episodes, is 12 hours 30 minutes long and the ORTF (the national agency charged with providing public radio and television in France) refused to buy it, afraid of the extraordinary and unclassifiable nature of the film. OUT 1 was shown in its full working version in a projection, which is now considered a legendary event, at the Havre in September 1971, but was shown neither in theaters nor television. Jacques Rivette spent the entirety of 1972 on editing another version of the film, reducing the running time to just over 4 hours. This cut of the film, called OUT 1 : Spectre, which proposes a different vision from the original film, was released in French cinemas in 1974.

The public had to wait until 1989 for the long version to finally be shown in its integrality at the Festival of Rotterdam, followed by various other European festivals, and finally on French and German television in the early 1990's. From that point on, the original film is called OUT 1 : Noli Me Tangere, and has a slightly different cut from the version shown in 1971. After this, Jacques Rivette's monumental oeuvre virtually disappeared from the silver screen.

OUT 1 has remained particularly rare and almost invisible in its integral version since its creation. Restored in 2015, OUT 1 : Noli Me Tangere and OUT 1 : Spectre are finally available in 2K!

wilder

May 5, 2015

GoodFellas (1990) 25th Anniversary Edition, from a new 4K master

GoodFellas (1990) - Amazon

jenkins

Jun 29, 2015
Playback Region B (A, C untested)

wilder

August 18, 2015

Gerald Kargl's Angst aka Schizophrenia (1983) on blu-ray from Cult Epics (US)

Angst (1983) - Amazon

wilder

June 22, 2015

Sam Fuller's Forty Guns (1957) on blu-ray from Masters of Cinema

Forty Guns (1957) - Amazon UK

wilder

Awwwwwwwwwyyyyeeeah

August 18, 2015

Hackers (1995) on blu-ray from Shout Factory

Hackers (1995) - Amazon

jenkins

i promised myself i'd never cry in front of you but, here i am crying

there's a longtime friend of mine with whom i'm now going to have to find some other way to begin our conversations than "have you written your letter to the studio president requesting hackers on bluray?" and i shall miss the corollaries of "twice this morning" and "licking the envelope on my third this hour" etc.

jenkins

has anyone seen this movie

it has this adorable synopsis: During WW2, a man persuaded to live on an isolated island and spot aircraft finds himself responsible for a teacher and several students, all female.

a 7.4 on imdb and five stars on amazon with all these glowing reviews

director ralph nelson, a bit of an unknown to me except for requiem for a heavyweight (because of rod serling)

wilder

August 17, 2015

Nagisa Oshima's Cruel Story of Youth (1960) on blu-ray from Masters of Cinema

Cruel Story of Youth (1960) - Amazon UK

August 24, 2015

Haskell Wexler's Medium Cool (1969) on blu-ray from Masters of Cinema

Medium Cool (1969) - Amazon UK

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) on blu-ray from Eureka Classics

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) - Amazon UK

wilder

Quote from: wilder on April 29, 2015, 02:43:28 PM
August 18, 2015

Gerald Kargl's Angst aka Schizophrenia (1983) on blu-ray from Cult Epics (US)

Angst (1983) - Amazon

Gerald Kargl's Angst Heading Back to U.S. Cinemas
via blu-ray.com

Cult Epics will present director Gerald Kargl's Angst a.k.a. Schizophrenia (1983) uncut and uncensored for the first time in U.S. theaters, starting June 12, 2015 at Cinefamily in Los Angeles and the Grand Illusion Cinema in Seattle.

Angst is one hell of a gorgeously stylized and shockingly visceral experience: a forgotten classic on the fringes of the slasher cycle. Zbig's innovative "first person" camerawork grabs you by the throat, never letting go.

The Los Angeles opening engagement of Angst includes a rare personal appearance by the film's cinematographer, legendary Oscar-winning Polish animator/experimentalist Zbig Rybczynski. Mr. Rybcynski will be in attendance for a special introduction and Q&A on June 12th.

Scored by Krautrock synth god Klaus Schulze (Tangerine Dream), Angst stars Erwin Leder (DAS BOOT, SCHINDLER'S LIST) as a maniacal killer based on the real-life serial murderer Werner Kniesek. Director Gaspar Noé (IRREVERSIBLE, ENTER THE VOID, LOVE) calls ANGST "the rarest unknown masterpiece of cinema" and cites the film as a major influence, "one that I have watched more than 40 times."

Following the Los Angeles and Seattle screenings, Angst will be showing at independent theaters and festivals in cities across North America through fall 2015 (additional theaters TBA).

6/12/2015 - Cinefamily, LA - Zbigniew Rybcynski in person!
6/13/2015 - Cinefamily, LA
6/15/2015 - Cinefamily, LA
6/16/2015 - Cinefamily, LA
6/17/2015 - Cinefamily, LA
6/12/2015 - Grand Illusion Cinema, Seattle
6/13/2015 - Grand Illusion Cinema, Seattle
6/20/2015 - Grand Illusion Cinema, Seattle
6/17/2015 - Alamo Drafthouse Vintage Park, Houston
6/19/2015 - Coolidge Corner Theatre, Boston
6/20/2015 - Coolidge Corner Theatre, Boston
7/10/2015 - Film Bar, Phoenix
7/10/2015 - Hi-Pointe Theatre, St. Louis
7/11/2015 - Hi-Pointe Theatre, St. Louis
7/10/2015 - Nitehawk Cinema, NYC
7/11/2015 - Nitehawk Cinema, NYC
7/10/2015 - Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH
7/11/2015 - Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH
7/12/2015 - Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH
7/13/2015 - Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH
7/14/2015 - Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH
7/15/2015 - Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH
7/16/2015 - Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH
7/16/2015 - The Royal Theatre – Rue Morgue Cinemacabre, Toronto
7/17/2015 - Doc Films, Chicago
7/18/2015 - Capital Theatre, Cleveland, OH
8/3/2015 - Alamo Drafthouse, Yonkers, NY

Synopsis: Lensed by acclaimed Polish cinematographer Zbigniew Rybczynski (Tango) and boasting a music score by Klaus Schulze (Manhunter), Schizophrenia tells the story of a psychopath recently released from prison.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaspar Noe recently listed this as one of his 10 favorite films

wilder

May 26, 2015

Shakma (1990) from Code Red, limited to 3,000 copies

Shakma (1990) - Screen Archives

Did I buy one? You bet your red baboon ass I did.

wilder

2015 TBD

Benoit Jacquot's A Single Girl (1995) on blu-ray from Cohen Media Group