Love Liza

Started by aclockworkjj, June 07, 2003, 03:04:45 PM

aclockworkjj

ANyone see it....the DVD is nothing special...but if you haven't seen this, check it out.  If you like Phil Hoffman.....I would probably rent it though....it's enjoyable, but slow at times....still worth seeing though....

Ernie

I thought it was really bad and really depressing. There are some funny parts, not too many poignant ones...it's pretty one note. It's really a shame that Phil Hoffman had to have a debut like this. Kathy Bates was such a horrible character in the movie...that co worker of his too. He was alright but nothing compared to any of his great supporting roles.

aclockworkjj

I kinda had a feeling I would be the only one who liked it....

He took the role cause his brother wrote it....

Ghostboy

I liked it. It's not a great film, but it's a great performance, and I think the film would mainly be of interest to PSH fans. There's a lot going on in his performance, more than there is in the actual story, but you have to have a lot patience to find it. The best moments were his interactions with Kathy Bates; their different methods of dealing with grief were just fascinating, and the moment where Bates finally reads the letter is just devestating.

I was surprised the film won the screenwriting award at Sundance; it seemed mainly a vehicle for the performances to shine through.

xerxes

i agree with you for the most part ghostboy, although i  can't really say that i liked the film, PSH's performance was really great though... the movie itself had its moments, but PSH really made it seem a lot better than it actually was.

soixante

Just saw it.  Hoffman did a fine job, as usual.  Overall, the film was pretty good.  After seeing it, I now realize the dangers of sniffing gasoline.
Music is your best entertainment value.

jasper_window

I think it's a bit underappreciated.  Reminds me of a 70's movie, and PSH is outstanding.

aclockworkjj

I dunno, I am not saying it amazing or anything, but Phil is great in it....almost every line that came out of his mouth was great.  I liked the way the score worked with it as well....

ksmc

I bought the DVD having not seen the film on the basis of the buzz surrounding PSH's performance, and I was not disappointed. I thought it was a very good film. The audio commentary on the disc is really amusing too.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

Quote from: ksmcI bought the DVD having not seen the film on the basis of the buzz surrounding PSH's performance, and I was not disappointed. I thought it was a very good film. The audio commentary on the disc is really amusing too.

I did the same.. I saw it was written by Gordy and that the movie was centered arround PSH.. so.. i picked it up.. Great movie.. and ofcourse PSH is wonderful as always..  

Listening to commentary now!
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Ghostboy

Off topic, but 82, I just want to compliment you on your avatar. I watched that video clip one morning last year and it ruined my whole day.

children with angels

Quote from: GhostboyOff topic, but 82, I just want to compliment you on your avatar. I watched that video clip one morning last year and it ruined my whole day.

Someone else has said that - what is the clip? Is it someone killing themselves on film or something...?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

edison

Quote from: children with angels
Quote from: GhostboyOff topic, but 82, I just want to compliment you on your avatar. I watched that video clip one morning last year and it ruined my whole day.

Someone else has said that - what is the clip? Is it someone killing themselves on film or something...?

that is correct, ive seen different versions of it, some in color and some in black and white, and also from different view points, and no i dont search the net looking for suicide videos, some guys had it on my dorm floor last semester.

Pubrick

on avs:

more of this

less of this
under the paving stones.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i am all for more girl ass, at this point could someone post a pic of kylie mynoes ass because i would if i knew how to post pics in my posts