David Lynch Interviews

Started by MacGuffin, January 04, 2007, 12:14:19 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Sleepless on June 20, 2013, 02:06:13 PM
Dude, what happened? I thought IE was all about showing how anyone could make a movie nowadays. This defeatist attitude is really depressing to me. I guess there's a glimmer of hope in that he's not discounting the prospect of doing something in TV. Shame he's not more focused on exploring the idea of same medium/different delivery though.

IE was a long time ago. I feel like everyone is talking about the distribution problem right now. I think he could manage something low budget that would get into theaters, but I guess I don't blame him for the pessimism.

A Lynch series would be amazing... although he could certainly do an HBO movie or a Netflix original or something. Maybe a tight little miniseries where he actually writes and directs all the episodes... I keep wondering why that's not more common right now.

MacGuffin

Waxing lyrical: David Lynch on his new passion - and why he may never make another movie
From fine art and films to TV and now music - Lynch seems able to turn his hand to anything and transform it in the process. So why does he seem so out of touch with the modern world?
Source: The Independent

For several years in the late 2000s, David Lynch used to post an almost-daily weather report on his website from his hometown, Los Angeles. I guess he finds something brilliantly surreal about the meteorological stasis of Southern California, and on the day I drive to meet him at his studio, the weather is the same as it is virtually every other day in the Hollywood Hills. Blue skies, golden sunshine, a gentle breeze.

The studio, which he has occupied for almost 20 years, is in the house where Bill Pullman lived with Patricia Arquette in Lynch's brilliantly surreal 1997 noir, Lost Highway: a cluster of geometric patterns in poured concrete, spread across a slope in a quiet neighbourhood just below Mulholland Drive. Los Angeles may be the capital of the mainstream, but it's also the home of the weird, which makes it an ideal habitat for the director and his unique brand of bizarre Americana.

"I always say people should find a place where they feel good, and I feel good here," he says. "I like LA because of the light. The light makes me feel so good. It's really beautiful. And there's something about LA being so spread out that gives you a feeling of freedom. Light and freedom."

That LA sunlight streams uninterrupted through the large windows into Lynch's workspace, which is not so much an office as an artist's studio. Large canvasses recline against the walls; an apparently unfinished abstract drawing lies flat on a table; the desk is cluttered with art tools and creative detritus, leaving just enough empty space to accommodate his modest Apple laptop.

Now 67, Lynch still wears his signature white shirt buttoned to the neck, a pair of paint-spotted old khakis and a dark sports jacket with at least one elbow worn through. He still styles his grey quiff like a rockabilly. He smokes from a pack of Natural American Spirit cigarettes ("100% Additive-Free Natural Tobacco"), deftly flicking the spent butts on to the concrete floor around the desk. He drinks from a vast cup of coffee, a beverage he loves so much that he recently put his name to three "David Lynch Signature Cup" organic coffee blends.

"I must have a very high tolerance for caffeine," he says. "I always associated smoking and drinking coffee with the art life. They go hand in hand. There's something about drinking coffee and smoking that makes me happy and facilitates thinking. I just really love those things."

Lynch may be best known for his movies, but the last time he made a feature – the epically odd Inland Empire – was in 2006. So we're here to talk not about his filmmaking, nor his art, nor his signature coffee blends, but instead about his burgeoning music career. In the bowels of the house beneath us is the well-appointed recording studio where he recently recorded his second solo album, The Big Dream. And tinkering at the mixing desk is his collaborator and engineer "Big" Dean Hurley – who is, in fact, relatively small.

Lynch released his debut LP, Crazy Clown Time, in 2011. As you might expect from the director of Blue Velvet, the album's blues- infused electronica was angst-inducing and atmospheric. The Big Dream is more of the same: dark, layered soundscapes, marked by the lyrical and musical motifs of early rock'n'roll. Lynch plays guitar and sings, and, once again, accentuates the dreamlike atmosphere by distorting and processing his vocals to unsettling effect. In the absence of any new movies, the records make an intriguing addition to his oeuvre.

The director was born in Montana in 1946, and, during the first 10 years of his life, he recalls, "I would hear a lot of music on the radio, classical and popular, but I wasn't choosing the stations. Then Elvis Presley came along and, for me and about 10 trillion other people, he changed the face of music. It was just so fantastic, so powerful, so beautiful."

Over the years, Lynch's sound design has become almost as celebrated as his imagery – indeed, he once said that although "people call me a director, I really think of myself as a sound man" – and his films contain several renowned music cues, such as the tiny woman in the radiator serenading Jack Nance in Eraserhead (1977); or Dean Stockwell (aka Al from Quantum Leap) miming Roy Orbison's "In Dreams" as Dennis Hopper gurns violently in Blue Velvet (1986). He's also enjoyed an enduring working relationship with film composer Angelo Badalamenti, who wrote the unmistakable synth theme for his influential early 1990s television drama, Twin Peaks.

Lynch didn't cut a record himself until 1997, when he was put in contact with the Scottish vocalist and fiddle-player Jocelyn Montgomery, and produced her LP Lux Vivens: The Music of Hildegard von Bingen (a 12th century German Benedictine nun). It was after that project, unlikely as it sounds, that Lynch found his current, electro-blues groove. "I started to make sound effects with the guitar. That's what got it going, right there. I've always loved the electric guitar: to hold it and work it and hear what it does is unreal. All of the songs on both of my albums started with a jam, pretty much. Dean and I jam. If we're lucky we catch something in a certain sound or beat. And that's our point of departure."

There is, however, one non-original song on The Big Dream, a cover of Bob Dylan's "The Ballad of Hollis Brown". It has a simple plot – in contrast with Lynch's own cryptic narratives elsewhere – but a characteristically unsettling one: a man kills his family and himself out of despair at their grinding poverty. "That was Dean's idea," says Lynch. "We covered a cover: Nina Simone's version of the Dylan song. It's a great song, but also what Hollis Brown is going through is, unfortunately, really timely right now."

He goes on: "I love Bob Dylan. Who doesn't? He tapped into some kind of vein and it keeps on keeping on. There's nobody like him. He's unique, and just... way out cool."

He could almost be talking about himself. Like Dylan, Lynch has acolytes of all ages, and certain music critics have even identified a "Lynchian" strain in recent pop, exemplified most prominently by Lana Del Rey, of whom he professes to be a fan. Another case in point is band du jour Bastille: they recently released a single named "Laura Palmer", after the teen victim at the heart of Twin Peaks, while the cover of their k debut album featured Lynch-like headlamps playing across a road at night.

The esteem in which Lynch is held in the pop world is also evident in the hip vocal collaborators he has attracted, from Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to Swedish singer Lykke Li, who appears on The Big Dream's spine-chilling bonus track, "I'm Waiting Here".

As for his audience, not so long ago Lynch made a spoof iPhone ad that went viral, in which he railed against the phenomenon of people watching films on their phones. Many people will likely hear his music the same way. Is he comfortable with that possibility?

"Headphones mean that the sound is right in your head, and that's OK – although it does seem that if someone's really into the music they shouldn't be driving or even walking, because they could get killed. But I can't listen to music and do other things. I hate it. Music as background to me becomes like a mosquito, an insect. In the studio we have big speakers, and to me that's the way music should be listened to. When I listen to music, I want to just listen to music."

"It's the same with cinema: if you have a chance to enter another world, then you need a big picture in a dark room with great sound. It's a spiritual, magic experience. If you have the same movie on a little computer screen with bad sound – and this is the way people are seeing films now – it's such a shame. It's a shameful, shameful thing. It's so pathetic."

Lynch hasn't directed a movie in almost a decade, and though there are occasional rumours of a script in the works, he seems doubtful that he'll ever make a feature film again. In 2011, he told another interviewer, "I don't know what's happening to cinema. It hasn't settled into what it's going to be next." Now, he says, it is settling – and he doesn't like what he sees.

"It's a very depressing picture. With alternative cinema – any sort of cinema that isn't mainstream – you're fresh out of luck in terms of getting theatre space and having people come to see it. Even if I had a big idea, the world is different now. Unfortunately, my ideas are not what you'd call commercial, and money really drives the boat these days. So I don't know what my future is. I don't have a clue what I'm going to be able to do in the world of cinema."

To many, Lynch's masterpiece was Twin Peaks, and he has attempted to return to the small(ish) screen since: his much-admired 2001 movie Mulholland Drive was initially planned as a television pilot. Last year, he and his fourth wife, actress Emily Stofle, had a baby daughter, who currently keeps him from watching much television, but he admits to enjoying Mad Men and Breaking Bad. He doesn't count out the prospect of making another show himself, and the economic models of AMC, HBO or Netflix might prove more amenable to his vision than the movie studios. "I like the idea of a continuing story," he says. "And television is way more interesting than cinema now. It seems like the art-house has gone to cable."

While his followers await further screen work, Lynch is happy to continue focusing on "small projects": evangelising about transcendental meditation via his David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness- Based Education and World Peace; appearing in a very funny recurring cameo role in the FX sitcom Louie; waiting for a new, 18-tonne press to be delivered to his favourite printing workshop in Paris, so that he can get to work on some vast lithographs. He also has an exhibition of paintings and drawings coming up in LA this autumn. Lynch started his career as a fine artist, and for now he seems content to end it the same way.

There will most likely be a third album, too. "Dean will say to me, 'David, you know this is the ninth song we've done since the last album?' I'll say, 'You're kidding me. So if we do three more, we'll have another album?' It's so much fun to experiment and find something that feels good. It's like painting: you get on one thing and that's what keeps coming out. But pretty soon it becomes boring to you, and it leads to something else. There's a transition, when you're sick of what you're doing and yearning for the next thing. And the only way to get there is to just keep trying and not be afraid to destroy something. And eventually an idea for the next thing will come out of it."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 23, 2013, 07:15:49 AMdeftly flicking the spent butts on to the concrete floor around the desk.

Gross...

Reel

You never saw the documentary 'Lynch'? It shows him do that like 5 times.

Jeremy Blackman

I must have tuned that out or assumed he was putting them in some receptacle.

Gross!

Reel

he probably smells like a thrift store

Lottery

Dammit, I thought JB was stating some sort of innuendo. Anyway, yeah Lynch, be more sanitary.

jenkins

from nov 24:

Ten Lessons on Filmmaking from David Lynch
1. The thrill is in the hunt for a good idea.
2. Inner strength is key to working in the entertainment business.
3. Positivity is essential to the creative process.
4. Everything must serve to push the idea forward.
5. Don't get ahead of your idea.
6. Everyone must be on board with your idea.
7. Get inspired, not influenced.
8. Don't ignore your transitions.
9. Cinema doesn't need to make sweeping statements on society.
10. Stop the film vs. digital debate. There's room for both.

http://filmmakermagazine.com/88420-ten-lessons-on-filmmaking-from-david-lynch/

Drenk

10 is stupid. There's room for both if you're David Lynch. We're not.
Ascension.

jenkins

Jeremy Blackman

No, David Lynch Didn't Actually Praise Trump

Lynch is not politically sophisticated. That much is clear from the list of political figures he's supported: Reagan, Obama, Bernie Sanders, Gary Johnson. I'm not going to attempt to sugar-coat his idiocy around these issues. He's an old man with some old-fashioned views, and like many old men, the part of his brain that deals with politics is withering away. The fact that he supported Bernie while believing in libertarianism ("I still would lean toward no government and not so many rules") means he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

(I think that Vice article does reach a bit in defending him, btw.)

Here's the actual quote from the article that started all of this:

He is undecided about Donald Trump. "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history because he has disrupted the thing so much. No one is able to counter this guy in an intelligent way." While Trump may not be doing a good job himself, Lynch thinks, he is opening up a space where other outsiders might. "Our so-called leaders can't take the country forward, can't get anything done. Like children, they are. Trump has shown all this."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/23/david-lynch-gotta-be-selfish-twin-peaks

And Lynch's subsequent clarification:

Dear Mr. President,

This is David Lynch writing. I saw that you re-tweeted the Breitbart article with the heading – Director David Lynch: Trump 'Could Go Down as One of the Greatest Presidents in History.' I wish you and I could sit down and have a talk. This quote which has traveled around was taken a bit out of context and would need some explaining.

Unfortunately, if you continue as you have been, you will not have a chance to go down in history as a great president. This would be very sad it seems for you – and for the country. You are causing suffering and division.

It's not too late to turn the ship around. Point our ship toward a bright future for all. You can unite the country. Your soul will sing. Under great loving leadership, no one loses – everybody wins. It's something I hope you think about and take to heart. All you need to do is treat all the people as you would like to be treated.

Sincerely,

David Lynch

jenkins

the hard line i want to create, the insistence i want to make, is that Trump has been bad in a big way, and from the bad comes the good, but this does not mean that the bad was not bad

Jeremy Blackman

I suppose Lynch might be onto something, that Trump has opened the door for future populists. But he's also opened the door for demagogues.

Either way, Mark Frost (a hardcore lefty) needs to sit him down for a serious chat.

polkablues

Quote from: jenkins on June 26, 2018, 02:09:15 PM
the hard line i want to create, the instance i want to make, is that Trump has been bad in a big way, and from the bad comes the good, but this does not mean that the bad was not bad

This, 100%. All of these "it's okay to burn it all down because then we can rebuild it all better" arguments come from a place of ultimate privilege. Real people will suffer real harm, and the people making the argument are comfortable that it will only ever impact them on a hypothetical level.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

You can dismantle that argument with one simple fact. Supreme court appointments cannot be "burned down." They may endure for a generation.