the life of david gale?

Started by tpfkabi, February 05, 2003, 11:32:53 PM

tpfkabi

whats the word on this? i've seen a lot of ads for it. it looks like Spacey is playing the guy from se7en, but it looks interesting. i have yet to read any movie articles on it though.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Duck Sauce

I honestly wouldnt expect much, mostly based on its timing of release. It is not eligible for an Oscar and it seems (from the trailer) like it was supposed to be. I think the studio might be dumping it. I might be wrong though, I dont plan to see it unless it gets great reviews.

life_boy

Quote from: Duck Sauce
I dont plan to see it unless it gets great reviews.

Same here.

polkablues

I expect it to be at least a little good.

Directed by Alan Parker, starring Kevin Spacey, Laura Linney, and a thin Kate Winslet?  It's got a hell of a lot going for it.  Now the big hope is just that they didn't fuck it up.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Dr. Gonzo

It's not getting good reviews at Rottentomatoes. I wanted to see it until I read a few of them.

Cecil

Quote from: polkabluesI expect it to be at least a little good.

Directed by Alan Parker, starring Kevin Spacey, Laura Linney, and a thin Kate Winslet?

oh boy does it suck... oh god does it suck...

every single thing about it sucks (except for winslet, spacey isnt bad), but man is the screenplay BAD!!

i guessed the ending 15 minutes into the movie.

Bud_Clay

Doesn't surprise me...that's the kinda movie that looks like it can easily go either way. ill see it never the less.

Duck Sauce

Premier gave it no stars and check out Eberts review

Ghostboy

Ebert's review is great. The movie really is terrible. Alan Parker's directorial talent shows, but the screenplay has so many godawful lines right in the first ten minutes that it's impossible to take the rest of the movie seriously. Not that the rest of the movie is any good. The ending is seriously lame.

Jeremy Blackman

I thought the ending was not only lame, but offensive and viscious. See it if you want to get really pissed off.

Cecil

did anyone think that the score was bad as well? i thought it was too... funky. it didnt seem appropriate.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI thought the ending was not only lame, but offensive and viscious. See it if you want to get really pissed off.

Only if you actually believe that everyone executed is guilty.

Its not a bad message its just not a good screenplay...  Also Kate Winslet sucked balls, they needed someone with a little more klout to counter kevin spacey.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: 82Only if you actually believe that everyone executed is guilty.

I sympathized with the first part of the movie, which is why I hated the end.

Recce

I thought it was so predictable, it ruined it completely. All those little details that they'll usually sort of try to pass and then explain t you later were way to obvious. He was jsut trying to be terribly dramatic. I literaly figured out the ending within the first 30 minutes. Its ridiculous.

Special note: I was at a movie theatre when this movie was finishing. All these old people were talking about it. They were all going "Oh, man, I never saw that coming. Very good." I think this is what's wrong with the world. All these older people don't want complex stories, they want something to keep them occupied and then be explained to them in the end, without the possibility of confusion. I call it the old geizer factor. And it's ruining movies.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

bonanzataz

Just wait a few more years. They'll die.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls