JACKIE BROWN

Started by Rudie Obias, January 10, 2003, 06:45:47 PM

Rudie Obias

i just bought JACKIE BROWN on dvd and i was surprised when i put it in my dvd player that it didn't play in the widescreen format on my TV.  i then borrowed PULP FICTION and RESERVIOR DOGS from a friend and both movies play in the widescreen format on my TV.  all three movies are in 2:35.1 widescreen.  what's the deal with that?  why won't my JACKIE BROWN play in widescreen?  should i return it and exchange it for a new copy?

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Cecil

actually jackie brown is 1.85

yup, i used to think it was scope as well.

life_boy

I had the same problem.  I kept trying to find it but it was nowhere to be found on the DVD.  The problem is that it says 2.35:1 on the back cover when it talks about widescreen.

©brad

I love Jackie Brown.

The little intro. w/ Quentin talking about the Jackie Brown fans was funny. He talked about going into video stores, but do established filmmakers go into video stores? Do you think PTA goes to Blockbuster? I always thought they ordered their shit either off the internet or got free copies somehow. If PTA or Tarantino came into Blockbuster I would shit myself.
Also, do they go to movies at the theater and pay like we do? I know they go to premieres and stuff, but they can't make all of them.

I know George Lucas, Spielberg, Coppola, and Scorsese usually screen their movies for eachother.

A side note about Jackie Brown-

Okay, the one thing I don't really understand is Samuel Jackson's Ordell. I guess you would call him the bad guy, but I grew to like him almost as much as Jackie. If you think about it she really fucked him over, totally tricked him and lead him to his death. Then she steals his car! I kind of thought that was fucked up, I mean, it IS his money, and she did steal it from him. Does anyone else feel this way?

Cecil

Quote from: cbrad4dI love Jackie Brown.
Okay, the one thing I don't really understand is Samuel Jackson's Ordell. I guess you would call him the bad guy, but I grew to like him almost as much as Jackie. If you think about it she really fucked him over, totally tricked him and lead him to his death. Then she steals his car! I kind of thought that was fucked up, I mean, it IS his money, and she did steal it from him. Does anyone else feel this way?

who cares. hes a gun salesman.

©brad

Yeah but so is Wal-Mart. I still think he's an alright guy who we grow to like.

RegularKarate

Quote from: cbrad4dYeah but so is Wal-Mart. I still think he's an alright guy who we grow to like.

I just can't like a guy who says it's okay to smack a girl around a little.

Cecil

Quote from: cbrad4dYeah but so is Wal-Mart.

and if someone tripple crossed them, it would be okay by me. :D

©brad

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: cbrad4dYeah but so is Wal-Mart.

and if someone tripple crossed them, it would be okay by me. :D

Okay, you got me on that one.

GodDamnImDaMan

Deniro........makes........me..........cream........the shit.......out........of........my..........pants.......
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

ono

And a year and three months later... I give the only real Jackie Brown thread the bump it deserves.

I first saw Jackie Brown a little over a year ago on VHS, and immediately ordered the then-new DVD from Amazon.com.  Oddly enough, I only watched the extras at first; haven't actually watched the film itself on DVD until now.  Just haven't had the chance.  Funny coincidences today.  El Duderino has a new avatar (cool).  Someone in the chat mentions how underrated this film is (it is).  And I end up watching it (I had planned to anyway).  Fun times.

Dialogue - great.  Style - cool.  It really is such a funny movie, too.  Like when Melanie is telling Louis about when she was in Japan and then out of the blue says "Wanna fuck?"  There's a couple of lines like that, where in the delivery they become laugh-out-loud funny.  And it's a smart film, too.  The whole money exchange sequence is really brilliant.  Shame we never did get to watch this one as part of the QT Fest.  Oh well.  Better planning, next time around, when he gets another film made, perhaps.

El Duderino

best part of the movie....see my signature
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ravi

I watched it again this weekend.  The first time I saw it on VHS, I didn't care for it, but now I like it much more, probably because I know what to expect.  Like many, I was expecting a riff on blaxploitation when I first saw it.

It's a bitch getting the DVDs out of the hubs.  I feel like I'm about to snap the discs in half.  I haven't had a problem with the PF DVDs in the same style case.

Alethia

one of my favorite little moments from the movie...when they're discussing the girl ordell is gonna get for the exchange:

"and don't get some rock-hoe - "

"hey HEY, she ain't gonna BE no rock-hoe."

ElPandaRoyal

I rank this as Tarantino's best film (have not seen Mata a el Bill - Volume 2 yet). Its pace, humour, music, characters, performances... everything's in the right place here. This is almost just talk talk talk, and I can't grow tired of listening to them. Jackie B. is one of my all-time faves.
Si