Jeff Goldblum...

Started by Leatherface, September 18, 2003, 10:07:05 AM

Leatherface

I am really upset that he hasn't had any really good roles of late. I think he is a superb actor and I love his quirky attitude.

Anyone else a fan of his?

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

He's in Anderson's The Life Aquatic ... coming soon!

I remember him most from Contact for some odd reason.  He always seems to play the smart guy.  Some notables for me: Jurassic Park, Igby Goes Down, Independence Day, and a cameo in Annie Hall.

Pas

His cameo in Annie Hall is actually truly great ! I always listen to that bit a couple of times when I watch the movie.

budgie

I used to dislike Jeff Goldblum very much. I don't know why, he just reverberated badly in my psyche or something. Some actors just produce an almost phobic reaction, don't they?

Thankfully I got over it, due, I think, to The Fly... I can't remember. Suddenly, for some reason, I thought he was watchable. He did some adverts, maybe that was it. Budweiser? Perhaps that made him seem more accessible.

Now I think he's special, and his presence in a film is a draw. He was the best thing in Igby, very creepy-convincing. The only thrilling moment in the whole film was when he beat Igby up, his physicality as well-used as it was by Cronenberg. He does that manic normality thing very well. I like him in Invasion of the Bodysnatchers too, but then I love everyone in that film.

Alethia

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaContact for some odd reason.  

robert zemeckis' contact or a contact i have never heard of?

Cecil

i like him in those apple commercials

Find Your Magali

As a journalist myself, I love Goldblum's self-absorbed, self-deprecating, sex-obsessed, borderline-obnoxious, overly-chatty character in "The Big Chill."

I don't know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations. They're more important than sex.

Also, Goldblum has to be the in the top three on the list of "Guys Who, Against All Odds and Logic, Became Borderline Action Stars" -- Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Independence Day.

Banky

i think the role of his life has been, yes, Independence day.  One of the best, most entertaining, summer popcorn flick.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: budgieHe was the best thing in Igby, very creepy-convincing.

Absolutely. But you can't forget Russell, the performance artist.

ono

Quote from: eward
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaContact for some odd reason.  

robert zemeckis' contact or a contact i have never heard of?
Fuck, nevermind.  He wasn't in Contact.  That's some other guy.  Don't know who I got him confused with.  And maybe it wasn't even contact I was thinking of.  Oh well.

MacGuffin

How could you confuse Jeff Goldblum with Matthew McConaughey?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

I didn't.  I confused him with some scientist guy Ellie worked with.

MacGuffin

How could you confuse Jeff Goldblum with Tom Skerritt?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Touche'.  Your guess is as good as mine.  :-D