Jack Motherfucking Nicholson

Started by modage, June 26, 2003, 03:33:20 PM

modage

i dont know about anybody else, but there is nothing quite like a 1970's era Jack Nicholson performance.  for me, i dont know if it gets any better than that.  lets review...

-EASY RIDER (1969)
-FIVE EASY PIECES (1970)
-CARNAL KNOWLEDGE (1971)
-CHINATOWN (1974)
-ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST (1975)
-THE SHINING (1980)

thats just from what i've seen.  theres more.  other career favorites of mine include...

-BATMAN (1989)  
-AS GOOD AS IT GETS (1997)
-ABOUT SCHMIDT (2003)

and others, but those are my favorite.  i want to see GOIN SOUTH, because he directed it, but mostly because of the cover art.

how great is that?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

The King Of Marvin Gardens

Fucking class. Jack is the man.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: themodernage02i dont know about anybody else, but there is nothing quite like a 1970's era Jack Nicholson performance.  for me, i dont know if it gets any better than that.  lets review...

-EASY RIDER (1969)
-FIVE EASY PIECES (1970)
-CARNAL KNOWLEDGE (1971)
-CHINATOWN (1974)
-ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST (1975)
-THE SHINING (1980)

?

how can you leave out THE LAST DETAIL... Robert Towne/Hal Ashby combo, if im not mistaken -- great film.
...your excuses are your own...

modage

Quote from: themodernage02thats just from what i've seen.  theres more.

i left it out because i havent seen it!  but ill add detail and marvin gardens to my must see list, thanks!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

oakmanc234

Nicholson is like the human equivalent of gold. He's a legend.

He's done too much good stuff to mention. I can watch 'As Good As It Gets' repeatedly and not get tired of it. 'Cuckoos Nest' is too good for words. His performance in 'The Pledge' (and the film itself) is under-rated. I really liked 'About Schmidt'. I felt so sorry for him throughout the whole thing. It was good to see him enjoyng himself in 'Anger Management'. I'll definately see his next comedy with Diane Keaton and Keanu Reeves.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Alethia

honestly - and dont make fun of me too much - but my favorite JACK performance is from TERMS OF ENDEARMENT.  I'm sorry, i really love that movie.

ProgWRX

i know its cliche as hell to mention this but my favorite performance of his has to be The Shining...
-Carlos

Redlum

Look up cool in the dictionary and there he is. If Homer Simpsons hero is Steve Mqueen, then mine is Jack Nicholson. Legend indeed.

I gotta say Cuckoo's Nest is my favourite but The Last Detail comes close.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

jonas

I love Jack.

65 and still kicking ass, enough said.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

MacGuffin

Just watched "The Pledge" last night, and damn does Jack Muthafuckin' Nicholson command the screen in that role. It's like the dark side of Warren Schmidt.

The film, by the way, foregoes the normal 'cop out to find the killer' story line that starts off the first act and quickly becomes a brilliant character study.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

anyone ever see this film? the pledge is a remake of it

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedanyone ever see this film? the pledge is a remake of it

Actually, they are both based on the same book. And both would be remakes of this film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jasper_window

Quote from: ewardhonestly - and dont make fun of me too much - but my favorite JACK performance is from TERMS OF ENDEARMENT.  I'm sorry, i really love that movie.

it's not my favorite of his but it's up there.  He's got one of the best lines of all time.

Shirley Maclaine's characters asks him if he'd like to come in for tea, and as he slides across the hood of his corvette he says; "I'd rather stick needles in my eyes."  Gets me every time

jonas

I'd like to add that every time I drive along Mulholland Drive and pass Jack's house, I yell "You're the fucking man!" out my window.

I wonder if he's ever heard me?
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove