Jurassic World

Started by MacGuffin, July 16, 2003, 10:22:10 PM

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 15, 2011, 11:54:42 PM
A new Spielberg-produced Jurassic Park that takes full advantage of those tools could be (pre)historic.

No.. no.
under the paving stones.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

BREAKING: Universal Sets Date For 'Jurassic Park 4′
BY THE DEADLINE TEAM

Universal Pictures has set a release date for Jurassic Park 4, which will be shot in 3D and come out June 13, 2014. Steven Spielberg is returning to produce the next installment of the franchise, the last of which came out in July 2001. This comes after the studio has made plans to rerelease the original Jurassic Park in a remastered 3D version in April. Spielberg, whose latest film Lincoln was just nominated for 12 Oscars, this week put his sci-fi pic Robopocalypse on hold; he was scheduled to direct that this spring, but had a new take on the project and decided to retool. There had been speculation that Spielberg would tackle the widely rumored Moses epic Gods And Kings, but this project appears to be officially on his front burner.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Colin Trevorrow to Direct JURASSIC PARK 4
Source: Collider

Late last year, director Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) was a dark horse candidate in the running for the director's chair of Star Wars: Episode VII; now it looks as if he'll be helming the fourth installment of the Jurassic Park series.  Trevorrow had teased fans about directing a film with a significant fan base and the rumor mill quickly lumped him into the Star Wars discussion.  Not long after that, word came out that Trevorrow would be writing and possibly directing a remake of Flight of the Navigator; nothing to scoff at, but certainly not Star Wars.  With today's news that he'll be directing Jurassic Park 4, now we know the fan base he was hinting at all along.

Deadline reports that Trevorrow is the man to helm the return to Jurassic Park for Universal Pictures.  The director made his feature debut at Sundance with Safety Not Guaranteed and has only a short, a documentary and a TV movie to his other directorial credits.  Reported as being a big fan of the billion-dollar franchise, Trevorrow met with studio execs and filmmakers who "felt he would preserve and protect the characters in the story they created."  It goes without saying that this is a huge get for the young director.  Here's what producer Frank Marshall had to say via Twitter:

Frank Marshall ‏@LeDoctor
Thrilled to have director on JP4, Colin Trevorrow, an exciting young filmmaker who understands and respects the world that is Jurassic Park.

While a 3D re-release of Steven Spielberg's original Jurassic Park, based on Michael Crichton's novel, is opening in theaters starting April 5th, work can now move forward on Jurassic Park 4 scripted by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes).  Frank Marshall is producing with Patrick Crowley, and Steven Spielberg is executive producer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

What an odd choice. But then again, if this was 1978, none of would have suspected Irvin Kershner for Empire.

MacGuffin

Exclusive (Spoilers): Awesome details on the story and concept for Jurassic Park IV!
Source: JoBlo

With all the news about JURASSIC PARK 4 finally getting underway we've heard almost nothing about the story or concept of the film. Director Colin Trevorrow has teased a few things so far, including a trip back to Isla Nublar, the island where JURASSIC PARK originated in Steven Spielberg's 1993 film, as well as a "new dinosaur" that will make us "keep the lights on after you see this movie." And that's where the details end, minus the reveal of the new logo (above - which I think will eventually change). Well, today you're going to find out a lot more than you knew before, which will likely get you damned excited for the next installment.

Our trusted and reliable source has indicated the overall concept of the film, which sounds pretty great and meets up with Trevorrow saying his goal for the film is to "want people to feel like it's the last day of 6th grade again."

Jurassic Park 4 will be in 3D (apparently shot in the format, rather than post-converted). Casting has not yet begun for the film, so rumors of Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Neill, etc. are not accurate (yet, anyway). The story breaks down like this:

JURASSIC PARK 4, set in present day Isla Nublar, is now an actual theme park, as originally intended by John Hammond in the first film. It garners 10 million visitors per year and is completely safe - until it's not. The park itself is described as very Sea World-esque and includes an area called the Isla Nublar Lagoon. That means underwater dino's for the first time. No indication of what kind, but there's concept art showing one of the aquatic dino's, as part of a show, jumping out of the lagoon and eating a strung up great white shark like it was a fish for a dolphin at sea world.

As part of a show, you ask? That's right, folks, this will feature "tamed" dino's. In fact, our source indicated that the usually menacing Velociraptors (which will finally be muzzled, along with the T-Rex - until they're not) will actually be used to help fight the threat, which begins in the form of a new dinosaur, not seen in any of the previous films (and not disclosed to us) shows to be much smarter than originally thought and is the main cause of havoc breaking out at the park.

So, to sum it all up, JURASSIC PARK 4 will take place back on Isla Nublar with a fully operational dinosaur theme park (I'm sure no expense was spared) that's both prosperous and safe, until a new dinosaur figures out a way to wreak havoc, causing the use of the now tamed Velociraptors (and T-Rex? Unclear) as a means to fighting the threat.

No details on human characters (new or returning) but I'm sure they'll play a big part in the grand scheme of things. Overall, this sounds like a kick ass way to go and a solid way to continue the story, while almost rebooting in a way. It sounds like screenwriters Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver have nailed down a great concept for the 4th entry and I'm now officially excited to return to Jurassic Park.

JURASSIC PARK 4 (in 3D) is set to debut Summer 2015.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Lottery

It does sound stupid. Somehow they still managed to bring back the idea of crime-fighting dinosaurs.

EDIT:

Just figured it out, there will be three crime-fighting raptors. One will be the good one, his name is Sparky, the bad disillusioned one named Scar and the goofy pushover, J.T. And basically, young palaeontologist Channing Tatum becomes friends Sparky after bad first impressions- however Scar has betrayed the Dino Squad and J.T has followed him to join forces with the Mystery Dinosaur. Channing and Sparky must defeat the Mystery Dinosaur and after that- Scar turns up and challenges Sparky to a duel. Sparky defeats Scar by kicking him down a ravine and J.T begs or mercy. Sparky begins to succumb to his many wounds- Channing is crying because his friend cannot hold on much longer.

2 WEEKS LATER

Sparky wakes up on a bed in a Dino-Hospital. On a chair next to the bed, Channing is asleep with a copy of Dino-Weekly in his lap. Sparky smiles to himself because he knows that everything will be okay.

It writes itself.

polkablues

Finally, the gritty Jaws 3 reboot I've been waiting for!
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

Trailer dropped earlier today:

Lottery

Quote from: Lottery on June 21, 2013, 08:27:27 PM
It does sound stupid. Somehow they still managed to bring back the idea of crime-fighting dinosaurs.

EDIT:

Just figured it out, there will be three crime-fighting raptors.

Four not three. But I was close.

polkablues

I absolutely guarantee you there will be a point in the movie where one of the velociraptors saves Chris Pratt and he says "Clever girl." Gare. Un. Tee.
My house, my rules, my coffee

N

Pretty disappointed with this. Started out looking fun until the plot came in.

©brad

Why genetically mutate a hybrid dinosaur? Isn't there plenty of awesome dinosaur fuckery to be harvested dramatically from real dinosaurs from different eras we haven't met yet? Now it's just a monster movie.