Great news! Scorsese doing Dylan bio!

Started by Just Withnail, May 20, 2003, 02:07:06 PM

Just Withnail

EmpireOnline reports some great news!

QuoteMartin Scorsese has managed to persuade the notoriously taciturn Bob Dylan to let him film a documentary about the singer's early career.
:o

It may only be for TV, but interesting nonetheless. Check the link for more!

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i hope they talk about that the time when he found jesus and he went on tour trying to convert the mass's

such a wacky guy

Alethia

phil marlowe

bah. bob dylan is boring. id cheer if he did the mayhem story though.

godardian

"Bob Dylan would've had more fun if he'd been in the New York Dolls." - Morrissey
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: godardian"Bob Dylan would've had more fun if he'd been in the New York Dolls." - Morrissey

what the fuck does that mean

ohhh moz for shame

Derek237

Great news. I can't wait. Is it out yet?..... How about now?

Duck Sauce

Royal Tenenbaum

Yeah, Todd Haynes, whose film would have probably been better. He wanted to make a bio-epic type film.

bonanzataz

speaking of bob dylan in the movies, has anybody seen this wonderful piece of celluloid?

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0093163
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: Royal TenenbaumYeah, Todd Haynes, whose film would have probably been better. He wanted to make a bio-epic type film.

First thing I thought when I heard this was what bearing this might have on Haynes's project. I think they'll be two extremely different pieces of work, with Haynes's being heavily fractured and fictionalized and Scorsese's being what sounds like a documentary, but... well, I'm hoping Haynes's film will come many months later (script's not even finished yet) and maybe ride any ripples of success Scorsese's doc might have.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mesh

Quote from: godardian"Bob Dylan would've had more fun if he'd been in the New York Dolls." - Morrissey

Yeah, good point, ya ponce.  Who wouldn't have been?

modage

according to SPIN MAGAZINE...

Martin Scorsese has announced plans to film a biography about Bob Dylan. The movie is set for release to PBS sometime in 2005.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Blood on the Granite

So long as Scorsese resists the temptation to crawl up his own ass, this could well be one of THE best music documentaries ever. :)
Tick,tick,tick...its like a movie,
Looking up he sees it,
Blood on the Granite.

modage

from rolling stone...

scorseses tenatively titled Bob Dylan Anthology will focus on his early years- from his stint at the university of minjnesota to the recording of Blonde on Blonde in 1966- and will feature Dylan talking about himself (his first on-camera interview in twenty years).  It will include never-before-seen footage from the 1963, 64, and 65 Newport Folk Festivals, outtakes from the D.A. Pennebakers 1967 Dont Look Back and silent home movies from 1961.  The Scorsese project will also contain rare television footage, including Dylans 1964 appearance on the Steve Allen show.  The doc is expected to debut at upcoming US film festivals and air on PBS sometime in 2005.

and for you godardian...

Haynes movie, tenatively titled Im Not There: Suppositions on a Film Concerning Dylan, is the impressionistic account of the man.  Haynes says the drama will "draw from [Dylans] life but will retract who he is into a cluster of characters played by different actors."  Though the film hasnt yet been cast, at least one of those Dylans will be plyaed by a woman.  Somehow, this project has the musicians blessing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.