You might be obsessed with Paul Thomas Anderson if....

Started by boombanglarrabee, October 21, 2003, 08:04:40 PM

boombanglarrabee

Thanks, Gold Trumpet.  

I'm starting to scare myself a bit though.  But I'm on a roll.

Newtron

Quote from: boombanglarrabeeYou will only refer to Hard Eight as "Sydney" and correct other people when they make the mistake
No, that just means you're a complete idiot.

Wonderful thread.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: boombanglarrabeeYou bought a DVD player just so you could watch the behind the scenes stuff in Magnolia

Not far from the truth.

Spike

Goddamn, a brillant thread, dude!
If PTA reads this some day, he'll think we're fuckin' weird!
But PTA also has done something kind of bad to my life - I began to smoke Camel Lights. I'm so fuckin' mad!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Find Your Magali

This thread should be permanently sticky-ed near the top of the PTA board, because I can think of nothing better that defines our mind-set.  :-D

Here's another sign you might be obsessed: You write for a newspaper and sneak subtle PTA references into your stories.

Before the high school football season, I wrote a tongue-in-cheek column in which I came up with a psych-up song for each local team, something to get them fired up before the game.

Two of the entries were are follows:

DELONE CATHOLIC — Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now, by McFadden & Whitehead: There hasn't been much stopping the Squires during Denny Frew's 26-year tenure as head coach. This long-lost sports anthem came out in 1979, when Frew was in his second season. Now, Frew is closing in on his 300th career victory.

EASTERN YORK — The Touch, by Stan Bush: It may seem a bit goofy to include a song from the soundtrack of "Transformers: The Movie." But if lyrics like "And you never get hit when your back's to the wall/Gonna fight to the end and you're takin' it all" don't make you want to go pummel the quarterback (or some evil robot), then you shouldn't have a helmet on.

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Your eyes light up whenever you see Philip Baker Hall in a non-PTA movie.

You excessively use the phrases, "this is bullshit, mothafucka," "shut the fuck up," and "now you must really shut the fuck up."

You know who Michael Penn is.

You always bet on the hard eight at the craps table.

You refer to Hard Eight as Sydney.

You're not here for the fucking nachos.

Ghostboy

What would be good (or food) would be to create an upper left banner with scrolling text containing all these things. Can you do that without Flash? That's the only way I'd know how to do it. Unless it was scrolling horizontally.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: RaviYou know who Michael Penn is.

Yeah, he's the guy who did "No Myth." .... One of the best pop songs EVER.  :-D

aclockworkjj

TheVoiceOfNick

What's sad, is that I can relate to almost all of these things... with the exception of 5 or 6... but you forgot:

Started a plunger business in Canoga Park after watching Punch Drunk Love...

ok, so I can't relate to that, but I was thinking about it...

boombanglarrabee

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickWhat's sad, is that I can relate to almost all of these things... with the exception of 5 or 6... but you forgot:

Started a plunger business in Canoga Park after watching Punch Drunk Love...

Good one!!!!!!!!!! :)

Find Your Magali

Quote from: aclockworkjjMags..

what if I was romeo in black jeans?

You would have my heart forever.  :kiss:

Derek237

Read the list, I guess I'm not obsessed. But I knew that already. I'm a pathetic PTA fan that fits into the "Well....I taped his 3 most popular movies off TV" category. Though I did dress up as rollergirl for Halloween. Twice.