Will PTA alienate fans with future projects?

Started by Gold Trumpet, June 27, 2003, 06:40:13 PM

budgie

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetwatching this film, the viewer is blessed with a dazzling barrage of images that transcend language.

This is why he will alienate fans to a certain extent, because people insist on writing stupid comments that pin the concept of language to words. And unfortunately most people believe them.

Quotethe movie draws some surprising connections between various peoples and the spaces they inhabit

I didn't know about Baraka either. This sounds like my kinda concept. I very much hope PTA will do this and take his stuff so far to its natural cinematic... conclusion... oops. What a way to go, though. And it would only be going out of the mainstream, leaving forever the Spielberg dream.

QuotePDL was alienating in some ways with general fans here and generally not as well received as his previous works by people around here.

I find the fans to be the most alienating thing around here, not PDL.  :(

aclockworkjj

It is his filmmaking that I am a fan of....meaning his look, compisition, tempo, pacing, and over all direction.....all of which is very similar in all 4 of his films...

PDL just had a different story and plot compared to the rest, but the filmmaking was there...to say it alienated anything, well....would only happen if you were just looking at it from a story point of view...

And it is pretty obvious that Paul will rein final cut on all of his projects from this point forward...even though they don't make a lot of money in the theaters I am sure all of his films have come close to breaking even with sales total....and I have a feeling the people putting the money up for the films, well, don't mind breaking even...as long as we have a film to show for it...it seems as if Paul has a pretty tight group, people with actual feelings, and I think they strive on watching Paul do what he does.....which is throw himself into almost every frame we are given.....

Gold Trumpet

Ono, I never heard of Baraka until you did give me a specific spelling of it and it made me remember what it was and remember hearing about it from years back on top ten lists and such and its form being talked about the most. I've never seen it personally and both films are next on my ordering, but I know how Baraka is like and all. A lot of times someone will say a film which has a unique way of saying it and I completely go blank on what it is but when written out, I know it. Just from not being in an environment where movies like this are talked about.

My own personal feelings is that PDL was alienating somewhat considering when it opened, half of the PTA fans at JoBlo.com hated it when the big controversy before was that Magnolia was too tough. Half of the defenders of those films just gave up with PDL. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Nah, because he does need to grow and all even if I believe his work will continue to get alienating for some, I think most of his fans are willing to watch him expand and want to see him expand.

~rougerum

SHAFTR

PTA has made 4 very good films, I will allow him to do a bad one.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

idiots.

one: hard eight/sydney- who knows what this person is up to, but it is good, we trust.
two: boogie nights- he hasn't had a happy family, he finds it, he makes a mistake, they forgive, we walk on with him.
three: the family is broken apart from mistakes made before the film, they are brought together and forgiven, we believe jim kurring for sum reason, we just do.
four: punch drunk love- everyone who isn't jim kurring is saved, sure his 7 worlds are telling him he is doomed, one beyond it tells him he is fine, i believe it, it works. we swim in harmony, no more fear.
FIVE: baraka like x5 - so he's in love, purely, forget about u idiots, no more fear no more doubt, he has eaten her alive in the PDL sex scene, she is with him and they create their natural habitat... it may be beastly like a lion, it may be beautiful like an eagle, fuck u if u don't love nature. i'm sorry if u don't appreciate truth.

occasional course language. MPAA SAYS: deal with it.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: Pbaraka was my favorite Mortal Kombat character on the SNES.
i hope he does alienate everyone, to filter out the phonies.. or attract more  :yabbse-sad:

haha. baraka was sick, esp. when he did that one trick move where he kneels down and just goes ape shit w/ da knives. nasty. i liked kitana cuz she had those fans that could cut ur ass up real good. plus her tits would jiggle when she did jump kicks.

as for this topic at hand- blah. aliennation?? can't even spell it. pta gets more and more fans w/ each movie he does. my predickshawn is that the next one will be good and ppl will like it.

Quote from: PFIVE: baraka like x5 - so he's in love, purely, forget about u idiots, no more fear no more doubt, he has eaten her alive in the PDL sex scene, she is with him and they create their natural habitat... it may be beastly like a lion, it may be beautiful like an eagle, fuck u if u don't love nature. i'm sorry if u don't appreciate truth.
:-D  8)

budgie

Quote from: Phe has eaten her alive in the PDL sex scene.

You know what I wanna say.

subversiveproductions

i like the sound of baraka, i'll have to check it out, but i think that one of the things that really sets pta head and shoulders above other filmmakers of his generation is his writing, and it sounds like a project like baraka wouldn't exactly be a script-intensive film.  i'm not saying there's anything wrong with non-narrative films (i.e. gummo) just that pta is so gifted in terms of writing plot, dialogue and characters that it would be a shame to see him go away from that.
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I thought "Couch" was a little alienating.

Unless you watch Mr. Bean on B&W tv's.

(Bean never did weird/cool fake leg things; the weirdest thing is when you saw his butt.)

PTA better do a fuckin' musical.

It's about time he shows the Moulin Rouge fans how it's done.

My one friend said PDL was the film equivalent to installation art, like a stool sitting in the corner of a white room.

I can understand that coming from a 19 year old who has never had a girlfriend.

He should shut up.

As for the PDL sci-fi, I think Barry was the robot at first.

Then he got better.

"99 cents. Pudding."

aclockworkjj

speaking of aliens.....I saw a little white car yesterday, the exact same make and model of Lena's car.....it had no plates.....I then realized, it's offical ....we are being invaded....

SoNowThen

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones
Quote from: rudieobi think he should expand ass an artist. !!

no that will be me, i will bring to cinema a love of Female booty like no other film maker before me

dogma95 had its rules i have mine , its only female ass,  sorry mesh, and the girls must have big butts,  but not big gross celulite butts, that kind of thing is just wrong

im talking j lo, karen mcdougal ,  jenna van oy , even britney spears whos ass is way under rated

now in a vincent gallo esc move i have to talk kelly clarkson into making this movie with me, and please no "this is the real brown bunny" puns thats benith all of us

yes it will be my tribute to the budunka dunk

yes i see the irony of me making fun of anyone elses spellin, but damnit i went for it anyway

I just read this and must comment: Karen McDougal has the finest ass EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah! So cool that you mentioned her. My horny high school life was haunted with fevered fantasies of her perfect naked ass. Damn! Good call, Pants. Those sound like some good rules for film.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Derek

Quote from: SoNowThenKaren McDougal has the finest ass EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!

um. yeah.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.