halogen

Started by metroshane, June 15, 2004, 12:39:59 PM

metroshane

anyone know how halogen photographs or videos?

Big Lots has a two halogen light package, 1000W each, for $25.  They are really work lights..but that's a great deal.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ghostboy

I've used 'em, but be careful because they're really too bright to be used effectively. Mine were 500w, and even those were too bright. You can stick them outside a window and get a good blast of sunlight. The best way to use them is to bounce them off a series of reflectors, so that the final light hitting the subject is substantially diffused. It's also a good idea to put some corrective gels on them, but be careful when doing that because they'll melt.

But they've gotten me out of a pinch many a time, so I'd say go for it.

metroshane

Thanks for the input...if  nothing else, they'll make good work lights.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

metroshane

They came out to be only $18.88...and they are adjustable at 250W increments.

mutinyco

Just so you know, 1000 watts is usually refered to as 1k.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

metroshane

That's the same thing they told me in film school.

But these don't have 1K lamps.  It's a combined 1000W.  And I'm pretty sure they don't have the same color temp as a real 1K like an HMI or Kino would.

mutinyco

Kino isn't 1k. Kinos are just color-balanced fluorescent lights. There are daylight Kinos, but they're no brighter than any other Kinos. Which aren't very bright.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

bob4000

Do you guys know a good site with information about lightning and  filters (for video) or else a good book?
thx
bob

Gamblour.

I'm wondering, I'm gonna shoot a dv project, and I want to know how fluorescent lights would show up? Would they diffuse enough on their own? Also, would they mess with the final color of the shot, I know they cast a blue hue on certain films, but is it the same with dv? This probably sounds really amateurish. I just wonder, I plan on shooting a scene in a fairly dark hallway.
WWPTAD?

metroshane

In my experience, flourescent videos slightly green.  And it can flicker varying degrees.  Of course you can white balance to it...but then any other type light you use will photograph slightly off.  In my original question I was really wondering if halogen photo'd more like tungsten or flourescent.  Most flourescent diffuses because the bulb is painted white.