The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

modage

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on October 11, 2010, 12:48:00 PM
I really just hate how zombies are a genre.
That's fine, but the fact is there has never been anything like this before on TV.  And yeah, the zombie thing can be worn thin but thats why the drama thing makes up for it.  In a film you have your standard 2 hour arc of trying to figure out what the hell they are and trying to survive etc.  Okay, so lets say that's an episode or two of the show.  Where do you go from there?  Anywhere.  The zombie apocalypse is just a backdrop for a story about these characters trying to survive.

I mean, if you are convincing yourself that you don't want to watch this show, that's fine too.  But I would put some faith in AMC and Frank Darabont that they're going to make some compelling TV.  I've seen the pilot, I thought it was great and I can't believe they're putting it on TV.  Maybe the reason this got a greenlight was because they thought there might be an audience for zombie movies/shows out there but that doesn't diminish the quality of the show.  Let Me In got greenlit because it was about vampires in this awful Twilight/TrueBlood era, but that doesn't make the film worse for it because it found a writer director who really connected with the material.  

Darabont says "What's innovative about this series is the extended and serialized human drama that's going on. It's not so much about the zombies, it's about the characters - this group of human beings who are trying to survive, and come to terms with what's happened and with one another."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

this shows pretty tubular

modage

cronopio 2

I don't know about that, but that was a splendid pilot. i'm giddy about the idea of having that atmosphere an hour per week. TV is so good to me... :'(

modage

Walrus, did you give this a shot yet?

picolas

WOW. never before have the zombies themselves been so sympathetic... that zombie missing legs is the best zombie i've ever seen. discounting zombie shakespeare. i love the suggestion that zombies hang onto some little shred of emotional memory eg. the wife. i could practically list everything that happened in the episode and just keep adding 'was so good'... except for that kid with his delivery of '..thankyou.' what a jerk. oh and the cg blood in the shot where the cop kills his old work enemy. pretty much ruined a great shot. nitpicks.

RegularKarate

Caught this last night.  I really liked it, but I'm a little worried.

What worries me is that they may have shot their wad in the first episode.  This is the only one directed by Darabont and I'm worried the only one that will have this scope.  The CG blood was only a little distracting but if they cut back on the budget even a LITTLE, I could see it being used in excess and ruining a good thing.

The stuff with the mother was brilliant and actually got me a little misty-eyed.  I hope they don't push that sort of thing too hard, but I like the angle.

We'll see though... I'm definitely in for another few episodes.

modage

I've only seen a few scenes from episode 2 at NY Comic-Con so I really have no idea where it goes from here (besides, well, the comic).  What I saw looked good and consistent with the pilot.  I know a few directors from Breaking Bad are doing a few eps along with Ernest R. Dickerson.  Fingers crossed.

Also: Premiere ratings were higher than Boardwalk Empire and True Blood.  Suck on that HBO.

Pozer

yeah this was pretty great. aMC is pretty great.

with this & dvds for blurays deal youre two fer two in my eyes, modgers.

squints

So i've seen the first three and i'm pretty hooked.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 03, 2010, 02:30:32 PM
What worries me is that they may have shot their wad in the first episode.  This is the only one directed by Darabont and I'm worried the only one that will have this scope. 

Yeah I'm officially done with this now. Just like when I figured out all of True Blood wasn't being done by Alan Ball, it makes me think they're not really putting everything into it for their creative vision, and instead giving people something different to watch for a few seasons. I'm averse to all the series on AMC actually. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, none of them capture me but critics and old people swear by that shit. It's TV, it's not HBO.

modage

Nice try.

I will say I've been disappointed in the last 2 episodes, but I'll also say that Reelist is totally wrong.  Darabont wrote ep 2 and co-wrote ep 3.  And Mad Men and Breaking Bad are the best.  Thanks.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Man this show is slow as hell.  I'm not a huge fan of the comic, the series milks out tension, but sometimes it just drags and drags and drags.

I guess the cop out answer for "budget concerns" could be brought up, but I hate their CGI gore and blood, when they sometimes have amazing makeup, and otherwise cut corners with lame graphics.  Zombie settings are a lot of effects makeup artists' wet dream, just let them play and have it look textured and real for fuck's sake.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

AMC has done it to me again. I think I have an all out avoidance towards Rubicon after they pulled that Breaking Bad stunt with the times - making it look like the BB episode was longer or something, I can't remember.

I am liking TWD so far.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.