Preproduction

Started by subversiveproductions, December 14, 2003, 01:12:26 AM

subversiveproductions

What's your guys' process on preproduction?  You've got a completed script in hand, where do you go from there?  What kind of shot breakdowns do you do?  I'm talking feature length on location, with real actors, meaning no "just get out there and shoot it".
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

Ghostboy

I'm in the last three weeks of it right now. It's fun in a hellish sort of way. Let me see...

After officially beginning in August, we set about casting, spent a little over a month on auditions and callbacks (derived from 2000 headshots we recieved from a casting notice we posted at the beginning of the summer, began weekly rehearsals in November (soon to become twice a week as we've hit crunch time), and continued the weekly production meetings we'd been having since September in which we've lately been fine tuning production design in preparation for set construction; also thrown in there was securing equipment, soundstage, various crew positions (haven't done that yet, actually, but we're having interviews tomorrow), camera tests (next week), planning the shooting schedule, buying tape stock (miniDV), creating shot lists/storyboards (due next week), wardrobe fittings, securing insurance (finally got through that on Tuesday)...and last but far from least, raising money, raising money and raising money. Which we suck at, unfortunately.

That's been my process so far. Sometimes it gets so hectic I feel like I should just get out there and shoot it.

Kal

What's the project you're working on GhostBoy? I think I actually asked you that in a PM but you never told me  :roll:

Cecil

Quote from: andykI think I actually asked you that in a PM but you never told me  :roll:

heheheh, how humiliating

Kal

Quote from: Cecil
Quote from: andykI think I actually asked you that in a PM but you never told me  :roll:

heheheh, how humiliating

nah, was just a reminder... and it worked!

TheVoiceOfNick

I sometimes work with a producer on projects, so he does a lot of the pre-production.  As far as directing, I storyboard everything out ahead of time... I usually write notes about what I want actors to do in particular scenes.  I do the blocking in my mind and draw little overhead drawings next to the storyboards.  If there are effect shots, I talk to the effects supervisor and talk about how we want to setup the shot... and what he needs for the effect to work.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Ghostboy.and last but far from least, raising money, raising money and raising money. Which we suck at, unfortunately.

in my opinion this is a very poor decision -- always have your money before you go into pre-pro -- just a suggestion. a guess it might be different depending your budget -- 5 grand is a little different, the 5 mil -- reagardless the last thing one should think about during pre-pro is how to get the money, you may never get it, which in effect will be wasting much of others time and energy -- i just think you owe it to everyone to have the money secured, beofre you even tink about setting a shoot date.
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

I always have money before pre-production. Enough to get the movie made. But when you're working on a miniscule budget, you can never have enough padding. Thus, fundraising is useful all the way through post-production.

SHAFTR

This is going off short films I have made (that meant nothing) but this is what I would do.

First off, location scouting:  I would find the locations, all of them.  I would spend a lot of time in the locations.

At the locations I would storyboard all the scenes.  The more detail the better, I can always riff off my storyboards during production.

When it comes to actors, I'd prefer to spend little time with them.  I really enjoy it when acting isn't as refined and it has an improv quality to it (the nouvelle vague in me).  I'd probably give the actors the story before hand but not the script for the scenes until the day of the shoot.  Someday if I have professional actors, I might approach it differently.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

subversiveproductions

Thanks for the advice guys.  I noticed pretty much everyone mentioned storyboarding.  What type of techniques do you guys use for storyboarding?  I've tried to start doing this several times, but I can't draw for shit, and sketching out every shot seems like it would take an impossible amount of time and leave me with a lot of sketches that I won't be able to understand when it comes time to shoot.  Any suggestions?
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: subversiveproductionsThanks for the advice guys.  I noticed pretty much everyone mentioned storyboarding.  What type of techniques do you guys use for storyboarding?  I've tried to start doing this several times, but I can't draw for shit, and sketching out every shot seems like it would take an impossible amount of time and leave me with a lot of sketches that I won't be able to understand when it comes time to shoot.  Any suggestions?

I suggest you just do stick figures.  I think it was Spielberg who said he makes stick figures in his storyboards... him or another big director of today... i read that somewhere... anyways, even if you can't draw, you can still make basic shapes... make these basic shapes look like something or someone... it doesn't have to be realistic... just enough so that you get an idea of what shots you want.  And always consider the editor in your storyboards... how will he/she cut this scene with what you shoot?  Make sure everything flows.  Ultimately, the storyboards are for you (if you're the director)... maybe you'll have to explain to people what you're going for, but if you're a director then you're likely someone who is good with descriptions and words.  The storyboards will remind you of where you're going.... the only person it has to make sense to is you.

SoNowThen

It was Michael Chapman who said Scorsese does terrible stick figure drawings that work out perfectly for him as a cameraman, because they convey the idea of the shot, but don't impose in any picture-type way.

Anyway, it seems to me that the more films I make, the more I wanna improvise, and the more I just wanna figure out shots on the day. I guess because when I'm doing my no-budget movies, there's only time for so much. Like others have said, a lot of time goes into location scouting (which has got to be THE biggest headache of pre). I figure if you can find the right place at the right time (in terms of natural or practical light, in case you can't afford many rental lights), and cast the best available people, the shots will come. But you can have the best storyboard ever, with a perfect cutting strategy, and find out it all goes to shit on the day.

Of course, that being said, it's always nice to have a plan to fall back on...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

The first step of preproduction is setting the first day of the production. If you can get past that it's all downhill...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

kotte

I'm in pre-production hell right now. I'm looking for a hotel to shoot in. The reason it's hell is because I've set the first day of shooting. Like mutinyco said, setting the first day of shooting is perhaps the most important thing in pre-production. That will get your ass moving and do what has to be done.

My biggest problem really is 'locking' the script. I tend not to rewrite once pre-production starts. I'm really hard on my self and it takes time for me to get a script I'm really happy with.

Ravi

Quote from: subversiveproductionsThanks for the advice guys.  I noticed pretty much everyone mentioned storyboarding.  What type of techniques do you guys use for storyboarding?  I've tried to start doing this several times, but I can't draw for shit, and sketching out every shot seems like it would take an impossible amount of time and leave me with a lot of sketches that I won't be able to understand when it comes time to shoot.  Any suggestions?

I draw storyboards so I don't waste too much time on the set trying to decide what shots to use.  Usually I have the locations in my mind so I know the layout well, and I'll often find inspiration for new shots when I'm about to shoot, but for the most part I stick to my storyboards.  I'm not a great artist, but I draw the basic composition out, making notes underneath each frame as to what the shot is, whether it is a wide or telephoto shot, camera movement, slow motion, handheld, etc. so I know what I'm looking at.