Magnolia and Boogie Nights also coming to Blu-ray before end of '09

Started by depooter, April 27, 2009, 06:14:53 PM

Gittes

That's awesome. I hope that doesn't somehow preclude Canadians...

Is Punch Drunk Love getting pushed forward into 2010, still? Because I just know that's going to look glorious in high-definition.

squints

Watched the new star trek on blu-ray with some friends the other day and the majority of them hadn't seen PDL. PDL came up because i could not stop commenting on all the damn lens flare in star trek and they didn't get why i thought it was such a big deal. I told them all "Well we'll have to watch Punch Drunk Love on blu-ray!" but...i forgot that it doesn't exist... :(
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Someone just tweeted "I miss Jason Robards" and I went to look up Earl's speech on regret.  Goddamn it's beautiful.

She's my wife for thirty eight years... I went behind her... over and over... fucking asshole I am that I would go out and fuck and come home and get in her bed and say "I love you... " This's Jack's mother. His mother Lily... these two that I had and I lost... and this is the regret that you make... the regret you make is the something that you take... blah... blah... blah... something, something...

(beat)

Gimme a cigarettee?

She had cancer... from her... in her stomach and I didn't go anywhere with her... and I didn't do a god thing... for her and to help her... shit... this bitch... the beautiful, beautiful bitch with perfect skin and child bearing hips and so soft... her namewasLilysee?

(beat, fading)

He liked her though he did, his mom, Frank/Jack... he took care of her and she died. She didn't stick with him and he thinks and he hates me, ok... see... I'm... that's then what you get?... are you still walkin' in that car... ?

... getthat on the tv... there...

... mistakes like this are not ok... sometimes you make some, and ok... not sometimes to make other one... know that you should do better... I loved Lily. I cheated on her. For thirty five years. And I have this son. And she has cancer. And I'm not there. And he's forced to take care of her. He's fourteen years old to take care of his mother and watch her die on him. Little Kid. And I'm not there. And She Dies. And I Live My Life. And I'm Not Fair. Thirty eight years and she has cancer and I'm gone... I leave... I walk out, I can't deal with that... who am I? Who the fuck do I think I am to go and do a thing? Shit on that and that lovely person. I'll go away... I'll go away... I can't hold this... you gotta take this fuckin' pen outta my hand... you fuckin' piss, cocksucker... take this...

Oh fuck... this fuckin' story has fallen apart and I don't even think I can... I got no punchline -- we had good times later, the best times, the love of my life, I thirty eight years -- but never the respect and the... she knew what I did... she knew... all the stupid things I've done but the LOVE was stronger than anything you can think up.

... The attachment... I loved her so much. And I didn't treat her and the goddamn regret... THE GODDAMN REGRET... and I'll die...

Now I'll die and I'll tell you: what? The biggest regret of my life: I let my love go...

... I ruined my love... jesus... jesus christ. what did I do and I had to get away... ? something, something to do... I can't explain... I love her so much... leave her there... and to punish... punish her...

... and the punishment for what? What?... nothing... and I'm so embarrassed... so embarrassed for what I've done...

I'm seventy five years old and embarrassed... .million years ago... my fuckin' REGRET AND GUILT AND these things... don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't regret anything... don't do that... don't...

... you fuckin' regret what you want... use that... use that...

... use that regret for you any way you want... you can use that ok... someone says not to regret or think about the past, something, mistakes we make... bullshit.

... this is a long way to go for no punch... a little moral... story I say... Love. love. love... this fuckin' life... ohhhhhhh, love...

... it's so fuckin' hard... and so long... life ain't short it's long... Life is long, godddmnit -- god damn... what'd I do? What'd I do? ohhhh what'dIdo?

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gittes

I don't think that Boogie Nights deal is valid for Canada. I called my local Best Buy and they had no idea what I was talking about.  :(

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Ravi

Not related to the Blu-ray, but here it is:

There are funny parts, but I wouldn't call this an out-and-out comedy...

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ElPandaRoyal

Yeap. Especially that part when Dirk masturbates to the other guy and then gets spanked. Reminds me a lot of Bill and Ted.
Si

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ElPandaRoyal

My personal favourite is when he's talking about when Napoleon was the King of the Roman Empire. That shit always drives me to tears :lol:
Si

Stefen

A storyline I wish PTA would have spent more time on is Reed's quest to become a legit magician. He was showing promise towards the end.

ElPandaRoyal

Si

MacGuffin

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2873/boogienights.html

Quite frankly, it's probably the best the movie has ever looked, probably even eclipsing the original theatrical run. The transfer might not be as eye-popping as one would want for a reference quality disc, but this is easily one of the best transfers I have seen in a long time, especially for a twelve year old movie that's initially being released, unceremoniously, as a Best Buy exclusive. It's good to see 'Boogie Nights' looking this lush and wonderful.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.