White Stripes Video - The Denial Twist

Started by sickfins, September 27, 2005, 10:16:37 PM

sickfins

sweet jesus

michel gondry is directing the music video for 'the denial twist' by the white stripes

matt35mm

Quote from: sickfinssweet jesus

michel gondry is directing the music video for 'the denial twist' by the white stripes
sweet jesus!  that is drool-worthy.

sickfins

sweet jesus!  conan o'brien is in michel gondry's new music video for the white stripes!

The White Stripes are reuniting with director Michel Gondry, and to celebrate, they've assembled a crew of characters that's, well, pretty darn Gondry-esque.

A cast of little people, giants, roadies, stagehands and one solitary Conan O'Brien

Michel Gondry will join the Stripes in their Gondry-helmed video for the song "The Denial Twist." It's the first collaboration between the band and the French auteur since 2003's "The Hardest Button to Button", and their fourth time working together overall.

"It's going to be a real — how do you say it? — a mindblower," Gondry said. "It is based on one day in Jack and Meg's life. It's re-enacting a day when they went to play on the Conan O'Brien show, in a very bizarre way. We see them playing on the stage, then they talk to Conan, and then they take their car and drive amongst giant people, and then they go home and watch their performance on TV. But the whole time, they will be distorted and stretched."

The video is based on the week in 2003 when, to celebrate the release of their album Elephant, the Stripes had a weeklong residency on Conan's show, performing a different song each night. But though it sounds like it comes from the White Stripes' personal memories, the idea for the video was actually all Gondry's, and much like everything he does, it's got some really strange roots.

"I had made a statue of Conan, as a big square head, and I gave it to them and they gave it to him [while they were on the show]," Gondry laughed. "It was made of plaster and it was like something a little kid would do for their mother. And it got on TV, so I thought it would make for a funny and weird video."

And from everything Gondry said, the "Denial Twist" video is going to be plenty funny and weird. He's building a compressed set in New York — Conan's just wouldn't cut it for the complex camera tricks he plans on using — and he wants to do the video all in one take. He also promises plenty of bright colors and a fair amount of post-production wizardry too. And while Gondry swears that O'Brien will definitely make a cameo in the video, it might not be as the host of his show.

"We might have someone wearing his picture on their face, because we have to stretch that person, so we might have to get a [little person] and put a compressed image on their face," Gondry said. "But who knows? All I can tell you is that Conan will be in the video."

The "Denial" video is scheduled to film in three weeks, and after that, he intends on keeping his collaboration with the band going — he's already got ideas for videos number five and number six in his head. And sorry, Stripes fans, he says unlike the clip for "Fell in Love With a Girl," none of them involves Lego bricks.

"Yes, people are always asking me to redo my older videos, but I won't ever do another Lego video with the White Stripes. But I do have plenty of ideas," he said. "I've done six videos with Björk, and I want to tie that record with the Stripes, then beat them again by doing another video with her."

modage

awesome.  thats my favorite song on the album.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

72teeth

anyone have a pic of gondrys conan statue?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

matt35mm

Quote from: modageawesome.  thats my favorite song on the album.
Amen, brother.  It's a bitchin' song.

brockly

Quote from: 72teethanyone have a pic of gondrys conan statue?

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

sickfins

whassis

it seems gondry is getting busy again

"This was bound to happen: Michel is directing Kanye West's next video. Entitled Heard 'Em Say, it features Adam Levine of Maroon 5, and will be filmed this week in NYC. No word yet on the video's concept."

sickfins

watch the denial twist here.

i don't fucking get it.  it doesn't make any visual sense to me.  i think i need to see it on a tv or something because my brain hurts

mogwai

Quote from: sickfins on November 05, 2005, 10:57:25 PM

i don't fucking get it.  it doesn't make any visual sense to me.  i think i need to see it on a tv or something because my brain hurts

yes, i think you need to see it on tv. if you have a widescreen tv set it in 16:9 mode. wraa.

JG

Pubrick

Quote from: sickfins on November 05, 2005, 10:57:25 PM

no it makes sense. gondry can do no wrong.

he is literally redefining the way we see.. conan. :yabbse-lipsrsealed:
under the paving stones.

sickfins

i meant that in the best possible way

more viewings have increased my apprecation for it exponentially

did anyone catch the reference to 'come into my world' when meg goes under jack's arm

brockly

only just saw this and i must have watched it at least five times just now. seriously, this blew my mind. :shock: