Banning

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, January 05, 2004, 05:43:32 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I just want to know what's going on.  That's all.  There was discussion over Pantalones getting banned, and JJ getting banned, which sparked its own controversy (that was quickly hushed by certain Admins.)  Now this isn't an attack on admins, nor a plea for JJ's return, but a request.

It seems swift persecution is the easiest way to quash any other opinions. People with high post counts seem to get more respect (some of them) even though it's said over and over the amount of posts dosen't matter.  Well, it dosen't to me.  I may have said it in the past, but it was jokingly.  

The banning of Neatahwanta and cowgoesmoo were quick, hushed actions.  Now, I wasn't a huge fan of Neat, and just recently started talking to cow.  I can understand people disagreeing with them, I did on several occasions, but banning them?  I understand bannings when the person posts endless pictures of Goatse or strings of profanities, but no.  They were over disagreements on certain topics and opinions.  That, or they tried to start a "revolt."  Rest assured, any admins afraid I'm taking the path of the problem starter, I'm not trying to cause any "revolts."

I'm trying to prevent them.  Why would revolts need to happen?  I doubt Pantalones or JJ decided that it would be hilarious to try to turn this message board on it's head for the entertainment value.  They know they'd be banned, and it's not like they'd inspire any posters to try the same.  

Furthermore, how exactly does one instigate a "revolt" in a message board? It's not like anyone's getting hurt.  The worst case scenario is people stop coming here, but that's very worst.  People like this board, I love this board.  That's why I'm concerned.  This board is where I get a lot of my movie information and movie discussion, but also just some great conversations with people I don't know.  Idle Chatter is just as much an important element to this board as Everything Else Cinema.  We're cinephiles, it's true.  That dosen't mean we only think abuot movies 24/7.  If that's truly the case, I picked the wrong board.  I realize someone will quote me on that, but it's true.  There's more to life than movies and having status on a message board.

My question is: can we get some justice?  If an admin hates someone, it's very fascist like to ban them on that grounds.  Even if all the admins don't like him, just as many admins didn't want JJ as those who wanted him back, but those weren't admins.  It's true we didn't have any power over you guys...shit, I started going on abuot JJ.  Sorry, it's not the fact it was JJ, but the principle.

So, I'm sure a lot of you skimmed this, it's ok.  I'm not saying stop banning, and I'm not saying you have to do exactly what I say, but my main complaint, that I hope I'm the only one who thinks it, but am sure more people feel it as well:

With people getting banned or ridiculed for having a different opinion, it makes it so that no one wants to post their own thoughts.

Engineering the same thoughts dosen't sound like a message board, but reassurance to those in charge that they're right.

Anyone else's thoughts?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

kotte

If cow's banned...I'm glad.

He posted alot of stuff not related to the subject of the thread. In this case I do think post count matters.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong here. Cow posted stuff he knew people would react to...and when they did he just went in the opposite direction and went like "I'm just kidding, guys". Why the hell post in the first place if you don't mean it. By 'stuff' I don't mean 'I dwell in baby anuses" but real arguments about serious subjects. Example.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

cine

Christ, it's making threads like this that just provoke more bullshit. Whoever was banned was banned for the good of the site. Can we just please drop this admin-banning shit? If the Cow was banned, Xixax will be better for it. The Bozo posts were pathetic. And don't get me started on Xeditor. Ugh. Let's not talk about this again.

Pedro

it seems "hip" to take a DOWN WITH THE ADMIN stance, but they know what they're doing...if moocow's gone, that's good.  i didn't dig him on the board, though if i talked to him online or any other place im sure we'd get along.

Sleuth

Dear Upton Sinclair,

oh nevermind, just dear Upton Sinclair.
I like to hug dogs

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Ok.  Let's not talk about it.  Let's ignore it.  The less free thinking, the better.

I'm bringing it up for clarity for myself.  Maybe I'll cut out all the "questions" and close my eyes later on, ok?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Xixax

Quote from: CinephileChrist, it's making threads like this that just provoke more bullshit. Whoever was banned was banned for the good of the site. Can we just please drop this admin-banning shit? If the Cow was banned, Xixax will be better for it. The Bozo posts were pathetic. And don't get me started on Xeditor. Ugh. Let's not talk about this again.
:yabbse-thumbup:
Cinephile gets my vote to be the next Xixax admin. He "gets it".

There was nothing hushed about it at all. There is a protocol that is followed when a user is banned, and every recent instance of user removal on Xixax has followed that protocol.

It's pretty simple, but that protocol does not include public discussion of the user in question, nor does it include consideration of the opinions of anyone other than the Xixax admins.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The only reason I wish you'd involve us, the non-admins, or if I'm speaking for myself, ME, is because I don't know why a person gets banned and suddenly BOOM they're gone?

How am I supposed to post my own opinion if it differs from those in charge?

I'm not trying to start shit, but I want to know I won't be dropped because the admins "know what they're doing."

And by that, I'm not making an attack on them.  I'm just referring to whoever has banning power should consult people so they know the line, rather than trying to assume it.

kotte

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobHow am I supposed to post my own opinion if it differs from those in charge?

I'm pretty sure that's not why people get banned.

EDIT:
Quote from: kotteHe posted alot of stuff not related to the subject of the thread. In this case I do think post count matters.

I just have to emphasize this. Don't want it to come off the wrong way.

Pedro

people get banned because they start too much shit, sorta like this.  i dont think that opinions really have anything to do with it.

Banky

Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator!

Pas

I think people should just SHUT THE HELL UP about most of the things they talk about, and the banning of annoying members is one of these things.

MacGuffin

I'll address this matter, and maybe some of the other Admins might wanna weigh in with their own thoughts.

Yes, over the weekend, cow and XEditor and the other two new members he subsequently created were banned. But...

This has nothing to do with difference of opinion on anything that is discussed here.

Walrus, why do you assume that it's the Admins that hates a member just because he doesn't like something he has an opinion on? Ever think it's the other way around? Have you had you PM box flooded with hate messages, full of slander and offenses and Bozo pictures by any of the Admins.? I doubt it, but I would think you would be pretty upset by it, and seeing them every time you logged on here. And would you want to have the entire Idle Chatter full, and I mean full, of "Does Walrus Know What He's Doing?" topics and have polls for other members to conduct?

If this was a member who really just wanted to discuss movies and political issues and have general discussions, why would he antagonize other members (not just the Admins. either) with every one of his posts? I can also tell you this was not a swift decision. Numerous PM's to stop were met with either another insult or were just ignored. From there it escalated to warnings, and there were many. So please know it wasn't just an over-night decision.

If the Admins. really wanted to prevent free thinkers, we would have deleted this thread. In fact, we'd just get rid of the board as a whole. Why do you think we are against free-thinkers and those outspoken? Jesus, if that was the case, Gold Trumpet would have been our first member banned. But you see the difference between GT and someone like cow is, GT can conduct debates and discussions without it turning personal. The Admins would never think of sending GT PM's with four letter words because he didn't like "The Matrix" and he wouldn't send us any because we didn't like "Die Hard".

Let me reitterate again: THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DIFFERENCES OF OPINION OF MATTERS ON THE BOARD. You are all open to discuss whatever the heck you want.

The Admins are trying to prevent the worst case scenerio.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobThe only reason I wish you'd involve us, the non-admins, or if I'm speaking for myself, ME, is because I don't know why a person gets banned and suddenly BOOM they're gone?

How am I supposed to post my own opinion if it differs from those in charge?

I'm not trying to start shit, but I want to know I won't be dropped because the admins "know what they're doing."

for the love of... dude no one has been banned b/c of an opinion. can you imagine if we actually did that?

and yeah, you are starting shit.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobI'm not trying to start shit, but I want to know I won't be dropped because the admins "know what they're doing."
Banning is never a surprise. For every Xixax ban that has ever happened, the member in question is given a personal warning saying bluntly "stop doing x or you will be banned."

The theory that we enjoy banning people to crush dissent and filter public opinion has absolutely no merit. Haven't we proven this before?