neutral milk hotel and i am the world trade center

Started by Rudie Obias, January 10, 2003, 06:51:11 PM

colbent

Quote from: Mesh on May 21, 2003, 05:28:20 PM
Quote from: tremoloslothThe Mountain Goats do a really great cover of Neutral Milk Hotel's "Two Headed Boy"

Really?  Is it on one of the albums?  Downloadable?

RegularKarate

Curious...  why is Neutral Milk Hotel sharing a thread with such an unimpressive band like I am the World Trade Center.

I saw IATWTC at South by Southwest like three or four years ago and it was the funniest, most ridiculously awful thing I've ever witnessed.  It was so amazingly void of talent or even effort... dude hops up and down and waves his fucking hand over this star trek machine that shoots out shitty beats while a chick bops her head and pushes like three keys on a keyboard the whole night... songs were pretty horendous too.

I guess the reason NMH is getting so much more recognition lately is because of a re-release last year?  I didn't know about this... I had been wondering why a 90s band was being brought up by all these kids who think the White Stripes are "an old band".

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 29, 2006, 11:47:11 PM
I guess the reason NMH is getting so much more recognition lately is because of a re-release last year?  I didn't know about this... I had been wondering why a 90s band was being brought up by all these kids who think the White Stripes are "an old band".
like i said..

Quote from: Pubrick on June 15, 2006, 02:18:16 AM
Quote from: Walrus on June 12, 2006, 11:53:42 AM
1. Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over The Sea
Quote from: JG on June 14, 2006, 11:10:58 PM
1.  Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

... you're both following some sort of trend

maybe it was on American Dad or something.
under the paving stones.

JG

haha, in all seriousness the album garnered a huge cult following through the blogosphere over the past 5 years or so, and i think it beat out ok computer in some notable magazine for the best album of the past 20 years.  i think the cherry on top for all the indie-hipsters was the 10.0 rating at pitchfork (a terrible review by the way).  i was introduced to the album through a music related message board about a year and a half ago.  it was really just a natural progression from the music i had been listening to at the time and at first i didn't get what was so great about it either,  but now i absolutely love it. 

its the most spiritual and transcendent record i own and  your doing yourself a disservice if you don't give the album a chance (many chances even).   

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Jesus, can't someone like a band anymore on their own accord?

If I state it as my number one, it can't be because it's a phenomenal album.  It has to be because Pitchfork garnered great reviews for it, everyone's talking about it, etc. My last top 10 was a long time ago and was lacking In The Aeroplane Over The Sea because I hadn't heard it all the way through and couldn't really claim it as my favorite.  I had heard a majority of it, loved it, never found this obscure thread that they share with IATWTC.

I think really what really incited this post was the suggestion of American Dad.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

i agree, and on that note, i'm tired of people throwing shit at  pitchfork .  the dudes write the worst reviews in the world and compile the shittiest lists but they're a pretty great news source. unfortunately, it is the only source of new music for some people .

fucking hell,  argentina scored a goal against germany.
context, context, context.