Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 26, 2005, 10:47:59 PM

noyes

Changes - Band Of Gypsys
south america's my name.

squints

the Whistling tune from the disney Robin Hood by Roger Miller

"Dee ta dee dot dee ta dough dough"

or pretty much anything from Roger Miller
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cecilia

I've been putting this one off since I'm such a nut about music but I enjoy thinking about what I really love every once in a while...

Favorite song of 2005 so far is "The Party's Crashing Us" by Of Montreal.
http://www.polyvinylrecords.com/twins/    So much fun and always puts me in a good mood.  

Some that are evergreen favs:
"Heroes" or "Ashes to Ashes" Bowie
"This Will Be Our Year"  The Zombies
"Oh! Sweet Nuthin" Velvet Underground
"Strange Magic" ELO
"Waterloo Sunset" Kinks
"More Than This" Roxy Music
"Seaside Rendezvous" Queen
"Surrender" Cheap Trick
"I Live" Jason Falkner (demo version)
"New Mistake" Jellyfish
"Here We Go" and "Meaningless" Jon Brion
"Alex Chilton" Replacements
"The Good Life"  Weezer
"Near Wild Heaven"  REM
"Well Alright" and "True Love Ways" Buddy Holly
"Tonight You Belong to Me" Patience & Prudence (Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters are awesome too!)
"Dreaming" Blondie
"Sir Duke" Stevie Wonder
"Pop Life" Prince
"Monkey Gone to Heaven"  Pixies
"Dream All Day" Posies
"If I Ever Feel Better" Phoenix
"Saint Simon" The Shins
"Anytime" Neil Finn and "Four Seasons In One Day" Crowded House
"There is a Light That Never Goes Out" Smiths
"When the Rainbow Comes" World Party
"Couldn't I Just Tell You" Todd Rundgren
"God Only Knows" Beach Boys
"I Will Wait For You" Michael LeGrand (Umbrellas of Cherbourg love theme)

That was fun.  Sorry for my indulgence.
I just met a wonderful new man. He's fictional but you can't have everything.

JG

heres a few

elliott smith - waltz #2
weezer-        falling for you
                  across the sea
beatles -       a day in the life
beach boys - god only knows

i'll add more when i think of them....

polkablues

A few years ago, I wrote a script in which the main character, a musician, confessed his dark secret to the girl of his dreams: his favorite song of all time was Del Amitri's "Roll To Me".  I'm finally ready to admit that his dark secret is mine as well.  There has been no pop song in the history of recorded music that has been quite as perfect as "Roll To Me".  I should also admit that I'm extremely drunk at the moment, and I have my iPod set on "shuffle".  Please do not take that as some sort of abnegation of my prior statement; I love that damn song.

It feels good to get that out in the open.  Cleansing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

there were like a few songs from that era that all sounded and felt like Roll To Me.  Like "Runaround" by the Blues Travelers and "All for You" by Sister Hazel.
GODDAMMIT I'm gonna download all three of those songs right now.  that was a fun time in high school--pop songs you couldn't sing or dance to.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

I own the cassettes of all those songs and "Breakfast at Tiffanys."  Haha, there's a couple more that i can't think of but i loved those songs when i was little.   

godardian

"Panic" - The Smiths. Pretty much says it all in under 2:30. Very punk, very pop; my ultimate song.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.