huge directorial debuts

Started by pete, November 30, 2004, 09:33:35 PM

pete

are there any first-time directors, hack or god, who got to direct like huge epics, or at least big-scale, big scope, spectacular features?  I really can't think of any.  do you always need to direct a low-budget horror/ comedy/ coming of age drama before you can tackle star wars, lord of the rings, or even desperado?
unfortunately, I think Michael Bay is like the only one I can think of.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: peteare there any first-time directors, hack or god, who got to direct like huge epics, or at least big-scale, big scope, spectacular features?

I'm assuming you mean directors first, and not actors or other crew turned directors. Otherwise, Kevin Costner for Dances With Wolves.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

Stefen

McG undirected the shit out of charlies angels. That guy Tarsem with the cell.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Rudie Obias

\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

samsong

Quote from: rudieobORSON WELLS, duh!

:evil:

Stefen

Welle, samsong is pissed. This could get ugly.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Quote from: StefenWelle, samsong is pissed. This could get ugly.

You're right. samsong might toss rubieob down a whell.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen