OMG NOT ANOTHER LIST! (Slant Magazine's 100 Essential Films)

Started by ono, September 27, 2004, 09:13:31 PM

RegularKarate

Well you don't like Halloween... so you don't like Slashers (though that's a good movie)

You're just plain wrong about Alien... that's a good movie and exists beyond being a mear horror film.

How about The Shinning and The Exorcist... if you haven't seen these then clam up and watch them.

The Changeling
Candyman
Silence of the Lambs
The Living Dead series
Peeping Tom

Just to name a few of the more popular "Essentials"

ono

The Shining is excellent, and Silence of the Lambs is very good as well.  Others I'll definitely check out when I get a chance.  I've been reading about Peter Jackson's stuff on and off.  Which of his is your favorite?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ono.As for horror, it's just personal taste.  I cited Halloween and Alien as two of the worst examples.  On the opposite end, Psycho and 28 Days Later would have to be two of the better examples.  I was pleasantly surprised by 28 Days Later, to say the least.  And this was because of the humanity injected into the characters.  In most horror films, there is no hook, no reason to care.  The characters are just pawns.  28 Days Later changed that.  One scene I still remember is where the father gets the contaminated blood drop in his eyes, realizes he's been infected, then says goodbye to his daughter.  That's good writing.  That's drama, that's what makes a good movie, and in this case, it made a horror movie worthwhile.

then from your rationale, alien, should be something you would like.  its has "humanity injected into the characters" or what about the exorcist?  i just dont get it[ you are almost as bad as GT :wink: ] but seriously, i could maybe see your point if you were bashing aliens because [even though its a fun film] its basically gratuitious action and over the top. it reminds me of predator for that matter.  but alien is more along the lines of the type of horror film you would like.

also, when you make a statement that 28 days later changed your outlook about having humanity put into the characters and not being pawns. then clearly you havent seen enough b/c thats not the first horror film to do so.  and its definately not the best example for that matter either.

and RK, the way i was arguing for horror films in my previous post was not my overall plan of attack [so to speak] it was just "bait" to get ono to fess up.  my  apologies if it came off wrong.

soixante

Horror is my least favorite genre.  There are a few great horror films, like Rosemary's Baby, Carrie and The Exorcist, but most horror films rely on cheap jolts, not storytelling or character development.  I think Alien is a B-movie that has A-level cinematography but flat characters.  Halloween is vastly overrated, and gave the world a plague of 10,000 slasher films.
Music is your best entertainment value.

RegularKarate

Horror and sci-fi are my 2 favorite genres and they really are 2 of the best, they're just not very consistant.  

You can't say that it's a bad genre just because bad movies come out of it.  There are more bad dramas that bad horror flicks.

soixante

I totally disagree that there are more good horror films than drama films.  Many of the greatest films of all time are dramas, and horror films seldom, if ever, appear on critics' Top 10 lists or win top awards.  Quite often, horror films rely on gimmicks and speical effects, not on strong storylines or in-depth characters.
Music is your best entertainment value.

such is the tragedy of being a new member: i find this thread incredibly stupid and confusing

Alethia

Quote from: soixanteand horror films seldom, if ever, appear on critics' Top 10 lists or win top awards.

you'll come to find that many many deserving films do not recieve this honor either.

Pubrick

Quote from: 03such is the tragedy of being a new member: i find this thread incredibly stupid and confusing
such is also the tragedy of being an old member. it never ends..
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: soixanteI totally disagree that there are more good horror films than drama films.

That's not what I said though

and 03... you're right, this IS stupid

modage

Quote from: ono.Well-written drama and effectively-executed comedy are exciting.
and so is well-written and effectively executed horror.  what makes making someone laugh (or cry) somehow a more noble task than making them scared?  and the same narrow thinking that says 'poor people = lazy' leads one to think 'horror films = bad'.  sometimes its the case, but not always.  just try not to be so closeminded.

Quote from: RegularKarateclearly you haven't watched much horror... letting that prejudice keep you from seeing some great films.

to each his own, but you have no place speaking out against something you clearly don't know much about.
yeah, i mean if its just not your taste, thats one thing.  but to say its not your taste because it sucks is just not the case.  

Quote from: soixanteI totally disagree that there are more good horror films than drama films.  Many of the greatest films of all time are dramas, and horror films seldom, if ever, appear on critics' Top 10 lists or win top awards.  Quite often, horror films rely on gimmicks and speical effects, not on strong storylines or in-depth characters.
well, most critics, like ono, are usually a bit prejudiced against horror films, not that it really matters.  what are lists anyways besides a jumping off point.  quite often comedies rely on slapstick or snappy dialogue, not on strong storylines or in-depth characters.  who cares?  does that make Bringing Up Baby any less of a good film?  no, movies arent there to serve one purpose.  its narrowminded to think that only dramas etc. can be successful.

ono.  oct. 1st is coming up soon and thats halloween season.  you've got 30 days to see these movies......

-Nosferatu (1922) F.W. Murnau
-Bride of Frankenstein (1935) James Whale
-Dead of Night (1945) Various
-Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) Don Siegel
-Night of the Living Dead (1968) George A. Romero
-Suspiria (1977) Dario Argento
-An American Werewolf in London (1981) John Landis
-Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn (1987) Sam Raimi

these are not neccesarily MY personal favorites, but there's a little bit of what the genre has to offer.  this is ONO's HORROR MOVIE CHALLENGE.  see these movies, it will give you something to do this month.  if you dont like them, we (or atleast i) can discuss specifically how you felt about each film and why it wasnt any good, or how we are gods for introducing you to how good movies could be.  i will be beginning my monthlong ALL HORROR/SCI-FI marathon on friday so i'll be properly immersed in the subject matter. if you DONT like any of these, i'm sure at the very least it might spark some lively discussion in these dormant boards.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Now there's a decent response.  Thanks.  It's a wonder why more people can't contribute like this.

I've removed all Spielberg movies from my Netflix queue (HAH! -- another can of worms :-D) and will be checking these out.  This should be fun.

Pubrick

Quote from: ono.Now there's a decent response.  Thanks.  It's a wonder why more people can't contribute like this.
uh maybe cos this is like the third fucking time we've humored this problem of urs..
under the paving stones.

modage

well great.  last year i watched about 55 horror/sci-fi films during the month of october, (both re-watching my favorites and seeing as many new ones as possible.)  this year my list of horror films i need to see has grown to 101.  an unreachable number, but i'm hoping to knock out about 30 of them while still revisiting as many annual favorites as i can.  depending on how many you have time for all month, theres plenty more where those came from.

i also encourage anyone else on the fence about horror to join in.  or anyone who just hasnt seen enough.  october's the time, it'll be fun!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: ono.Now there's a decent response.  Thanks.  It's a wonder why more people can't contribute like this.
uh maybe cos this is like the third fucking time we've humored this problem of urs..
Was I talking to you, P?  No.  Stay out of it.  No one's addressed this "problem" (if you could call it that) seriously until now.  Just a matter of difference of opinion which you seem to take oh so very personally.  Your whole attitude is tiresome.  Accept the fact that some people do have different opinions than yours, and you aren't right all the time.