8.Big Fish
7.Matchstick Men
6.21 Grams
5.School of Rock
4.Cold Mountain
3.City of God
2.In America
1.Lost in Translation

the biggest dissapointment was Kill Bill, the biggest suprise was Love Actually, the worst was Mona Lisa Smile

MacGuffin

1.) Finding Nemo
2.) Seabiscuit
3.) Magdalene Sisters
4.) Lost In Translation
5.) In America
6.) Mystic River
7.) 21 Grams
8.) City Of God
9.) Matrix Reloaded
10.) Open Range

Runner-Ups:
11.) Monster
12.) Gerry
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

1 - 21 grams
2 - dogville
3 - american splendor
4 - city of god
5 - kill bill
6 - hulk
7 - finding nemo
8 - return of the king
9 - intolerable cruelty
10 - lost in translation

whatever i need to see more

Henry Hill

1. Kill Bill: Volume One
2. City of God
3. Lost in Translation
4. Mystic River
5. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
6. Finding Nemo
7. Peter Pan
8. Cold Mountain
9. The Last Samurai
10. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

runners up....
Matchstick Men
Hulk
X2: X-Men United
Big Fish

wanted to see....
21 Grams
Seabiscuit
The Station Agent
In America
American Splendor

Alethia

Quote from: filmboy701. Kill Bill: Volume One
2. City of God
3. Lost in Translation
4. Mystic River
5. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
6. Finding Nemo
7. Peter Pan
8. Cold Mountain
9. The Last Samurai
10. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

now that's a list...

picolas

1. 21/g
2. Gerrray
3. Trans(Lost)lation
4. ill ill
5. Loaded Again!
6. Ahmayrickanne Schplendore
7. *NAmerica
8. The Belvits of Tripoli
9. Finding Waldo
10. Lotter Rot'k

*due for an update apres M. Riv, Region of Gosh et l'ephant.

Gold Trumpet

I've seen most of the films of last year so this list is pretty complete. Only a few changes could happen with the last few major films I have yet to see.

1.) City of God
2.) Sylvia
3.) Finding Nemo
4.) Whale Rider
5.) The Triplets of Belleville
6.) Capturing the Friedmans
7.) Winged Migration
8.) Nowhere in Africa
9.) Irreversible
10.) The Fog of War

modage

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI've seen most of the films of last year so this list is pretty complete. Only a few changes could happen with the last few major films I have yet to see.

1.) City of God
2.) Sylvia
3.) Finding Nemo
4.) Whale Rider
7.) Winged Migration
8.) Nowhere in Africa
9.) Irreversible
10.) The Fog of War
well arent you just mr. arthouse!   :wink:  sylvia huh?  that died a pretty quick death at my local arthouse and dont remember it getting a whole lot of word here either to get me interested enough to see it (even though i did get free passes). i dont remember you writing a review, so do you mind explaining why it was good?  or what you liked about it enough to rank number 2.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

horrorchick76

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Film Student7. Cabin Fever

But no 28 Days Later?

Okay whats this with EVERYONE liking 28 Days later?! My friend and i left in the middle of it.. because any movie that starts with diseased monkeys killing everyone in the world..and turning them to zombies is alittle gay.. :twisted:  :?:  :!:
poo

horrorchick76

Okay..

The Ring
21 Grams
House of 1000 Corpes <-- i think thats how you spell it
SPiderman
Kill Bill:v1
Cold Creek Manor
CABIN FEVER
Secret Window
Big mommas house
Office Space
poo

76chicky

Quote from: horrorchick76
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Film Student7. Cabin Fever

But no 28 Days Later?

Okay whats this with EVERYONE liking 28 Days later?! My friend and i left in the middle of it.. because any movie that starts with diseased monkeys killing everyone in the world..and turning them to zombies is alittle gay.. :twisted:  :?:  :!:

Exactly! 28 Days later is gay! Listen to the lady when she talks! And Cabin Fever is the bomb!

Pubrick

are u the same person.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: horrorchick76The Ring
21 Grams
House of 1000 Corpes <-- i think thats how you spell it
SPiderman
Kill Bill:v1
Cold Creek Manor
CABIN FEVER
Secret Window
Big mommas house
Office Space
Do you know how many of those are actually from 2003?

phil marlowe

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI've seen most of the films of last year so this list is pretty complete. Only a few changes could happen with the last few major films I have yet to see.

1.) City of God
2.) Sylvia
3.) Finding Nemo
4.) Whale Rider
7.) Winged Migration
8.) Nowhere in Africa
9.) Irreversible
10.) The Fog of War
well arent you just mr. arthouse!   :wink:  sylvia huh?  that died a pretty quick death at my local arthouse and dont remember it getting a whole lot of word here either to get me interested enough to see it (even though i did get free passes). i dont remember you writing a review, so do you mind explaining why it was good?  or what you liked about it enough to rank number 2.

I heard almost nothing about Sylvia too upon initial release. No thread or even mention here. I read the Stanley Kauffmann review of it but immediately forgot everything he said. I still haven't went back to it to see how my thoughts correlated with his. It just so happened I was wondering around my video store and rented the film because I was surprised my little city even had it.

Its really one of the most exceptional biography films I've seen in a while. Of the last 25 years, Raging Bull is prolly the most applauded. I think its overrated. A good film that captures the fire of Jake LaMotta in the ring but generalizes his life outside the ring that doesn't get beyond typical drama. For those who love Raging Bull, I wish they'd see This Sporting Life from 1963. A movie that really captures the fire of frustation a sportsman has in his whole life and the ambiguilty of that pain. Sylvia does the same for Sylvia Plath's paranoia and sense of loneliness in a magnificent texture of feeling put onto film. The movie never talks about her general, hallmark events but the traumatic secrets that dominated her existence and kept her from any happiness. Gywneth Paltrow finally gets a role she can speak for just on physical characteristic and she is great through out the entire film. Her best performance ever. I couldn't imagine anyone else in the role.

I almost put this as the best film of the year. City of God has the filmmaking power of almost no other film in a long time, but Sylvia is the drama of recent years for me and ten times the film City of God is in substance. The filmmaking achievement in City of God just won me over. I'm going to buy the dvd of Sylvia and watch it again and hopefully elaborate more in my appreciation.