Movie confessions!

Started by Sigur Rós, May 29, 2003, 09:10:40 AM

Sigur Rós

Quote from: cecil b. dementedlol

snobbiest thread ever. and comming from me, that says alot

No!, this is a good catholic-thread where christian filmfanatics can express there feelings about film! I'm not being 'snobbi', I'm being helpfull!

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: sexterossai love the movie clueless.
i hated the usual suspects. a good ending does not make up for the rest of the garbage.
my favorite movie of 2001 was vanilla sky ( or it was at the time at least).  
i though DAS BOOT was one of the worse movies i have seen in the past couple of years.

:roll: Vanilla Sky??? But God, why???
And you hate the Usual Suspects??? I think I'm going to puke.......
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

pookiethecat

sexterossa-

clueless rocks.  i wrote to amy heckerling when i was 10...waited 2 sleepless months...finally got a signed copy of the movie back.  "good luck being a movie director" she autographed.  how fucking sweet is that.

oh, and by the way, i didn't see the problem in vanilla sky either.
i wanna lick 'em.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: punchdrunk23

:roll: Vanilla Sky??? But God, why???
And you hate the Usual Suspects??? I think I'm going to puke.......

Stand up, adjust your tie and explain why Vanilla Sky deserves an eye roll but hating Usual Suspects makes you sick

polkablues

Quote from: ebeaman-I am straight as a fucking stiff arrow but if I was absolutely forced...like my life was threatened and I absolutely HAD to...HAD to had to had to had to....go out with and maybe even marry a GUY (!)...I'd probably choose Johnny Depp...I think he's really really handsome and sort of resembles Audrey Tautou in a weird way. So there it is.[/list]

Heheheh... I always say my autobiography would be titled, "I'm Not Gay, But..."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ernie

some more....

-I don't like Jim Jarmusch
-I think the music in Rear Window sucks and almost ruins the film
-I think David Fincher is very overrated...Fight Club is alright, Panic Room is not as fun as it should be and Se7en just plain sucks. I cry everytime he's fucking included as one the great new wave of filmmakers (pta, wes, spike jonze, alexander payne, dgg, etc.) by a critic or film writer, he's nothing compared to them...they are infinitely more talented than him and they use less than half the sfx
-I don't really like Eyes Wide Shut
-I don't like when people say american film is in decline...I know what they mean but I think they're too hard to please or something...there really is alot out there...you can't take the great stuff that is out there for granted...and you can't attack ALL the mainstream films and blame them for this recent "demise" that you speak of, some of them are really fun and comforting...I will admit that american film is not as consistent as it was in the 70's...that I do agree with

Duck Sauce

I think Jonathan Demme is severly overrated... especially on this board, but that might just be a PTA influence.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: ebeaman-I am straight as a fucking stiff arrow but if I was absolutely forced...like my life was threatened and I absolutely HAD to...HAD to had to had to had to....go out with and maybe even marry a GUY (!)...I'd probably choose Johnny Depp...I think he's really really handsome and sort of resembles Audrey Tautou in a weird way. So there it is.[/list]

What about Brad Pitt?.....I'm not gay!, but.....

Pas

Quote from: ebeaman-I don't like Jim Jarmusch

Have you seen Stranger Than Paradise ? Awesome movie

godardian

Quote from: ebeamansome more....

-I think David Fincher is very overrated...Fight Club is alright, Panic Room is not as fun as it should be and Se7en just plain sucks. I cry everytime he's fucking included as one the great new wave of filmmakers (pta, wes, spike jonze, alexander payne, dgg, etc.) by a critic or film writer, he's nothing compared to them...they are infinitely more talented than him and they use less than half the sfx
-I don't really like Eyes Wide Shut

That first thing- except for the order of the specific films- I couldn't agree with you more. Fincher is a shyster.

However... Eyes Wide Shut is really a nicely done movie. I know plenty of people have problems with it, but I always wonder why... it's honestly just what I would've expected from Kubrick. It's an uncompromised, uncompromising piece of work.

Quote from: sigur ros
Quote from: ebeaman
-I am straight as a fucking stiff arrow but if I was absolutely forced...like my life was threatened and I absolutely HAD to...HAD to had to had to had to....go out with and maybe even marry a GUY (!)...I'd probably choose Johnny Depp...I think he's really really handsome and sort of resembles Audrey Tautou in a weird way. So there it is.

What about Brad Pitt?.....I'm not gay!, but.....

I'm bent as a fucking paper clip, but I think Brad Pitt's sex appeal is vastly overestimated by everyone. It escapes me entirely. And if Julianne Moore, Gillian Anderson, or Naomi Watts were ever to proposition me (in my dreams), I'd be willing to reconsider the whole guys-only thing. Nobody would have to threaten me with my life or anything. It's called the Kinsey scale, people.

Ah, confessions...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: Duck SauceI think Jonathan Demme is severly overrated... especially on this board, but that might just be a PTA influence.

Maybe Silence is, yea...but Demme? I don't really think so. He gets talked about very little w/o a mention of Silence of the Lambs.

I really love Something Wild myself...Philadelphia is pretty good too, for a tearjerker. I don't really get Melvin & Howard but it was alright.

SoNowThen

If all other Demme films were to disappear from the face of the earth, and all we were left with was Melvin And Howard, I would be perfectly happy.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

i agree that fincher is overrated too, i have shared before how much i hate fight club.  i think demme needs to make a really great fucking movie soon (he hasnt done that since cousin bobby) because i am starting to lose faith.

BonBon85

Quote from: godardianI think Brad Pitt's sex appeal is vastly overestimated by everyone. It escapes me entirely.

My confession: I'd say Tyler Durden is the most do-able movie character. And while we're all making our little "I'm not gay but if I were confessions" I'd have to go with Amelie - not necessarily Audrey, but just the character.

I find myself expressing my inner ditzy teenage girl quality more and more on this board... I just used the phrase "do-able".

I mean I never had an extremely long debate with friends on the subject of who was more do-able: Tyler Durden versus Ed Norton's character...no siree...never.

godardian

Quote from: BonBon85
I mean I never had an extremely long debate with friends on the subject of who was more do-able: Tyler Durden versus Ed Norton's character...no siree...never.

Ed Norton over Brad Pitt, any day, any way.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.