Howl's Moving Castle

Started by MacGuffin, April 14, 2004, 12:07:35 AM

MacGuffin

Miyazaki's Moving Castle
A look at the renowned anime director's next.

Director Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service) has come out of retirement (again) to direct Howl's Moving Castle, his ninth anime feature.

The film is loosely based on book by Diana Wynne Jones. It centers around Sophie, a young girl who lives with her stepmother and stepsisters. The girl crosses paths with an evil sorceress who casts a spell that turns her into an old woman.  Forced to leave her family, Sophie takes refuge in an moving castle – it actually walks upright – and sets out to find a way of breaking the curse. The castle belongs to Howl, a wizard with a penchant for pretty girls. The castle is powered by Calcifer, a fire demon who lives in its hearth who is bound by a contract with Howl. He makes a secret deal with Sophie... he'll free her from the curse if she can find a way to break the contract.

Naturally, the animation is just as trippy as the story... There's an extremely short clip online over at Online Ghibli that's worth checking out if you're a fan.

Miyazaki, who has flirted with retirement often in the last several years, stepped in to direct the film when original helmer Mamoru Hosoda (Digimon) departed the project – Studio Ghibli bosses were apparently unhappy with his work.

Check out the excellent Miyazaki resource site, Nausicaa.net, for more.

Howl's Moving Castle is expected to arrive in Japanese theaters this fall.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

This is me: :|

This is me at the prospect of another Miyazaki film:  :-D

Pubrick

this is me upon reading the word 'trippy':  :yabbse-rolleyes:

and once getting over that, at the announcement of another miyazaki:
under the paving stones.

cine

This is me on a normal day-to-day basis: :multi:

This is me after I learned of another Miyazaki:  :onfire:

Stefen

This movie is underrated.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

El Duderino

:-D  <---- me when i learned about this.

:drinking:  <---- me this very moment
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Just Withnail

There are no emoticons for my current state of mind. I love this movie already.

Find Your Magali

Count me in.  :-D

This movie can't get here soon enough. I'm gonna go watch "Spirited Away" for the umpteenth time.

Gold Trumpet

Courtesy of: http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/newspro/latest_news.shtml#newsitemEEpAFuFppZzKcsZghX

Miyazaki to Continue Directing

The new Screen International (No. 1490, 25th February) carries an interview with Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki, conducted by Mark Schilling. Most interesting quote:

"A notorious perfectionist and workaholic, Miyazaki is already busy with his next project, which is pencilled in for a 2007 or 2008 release. 'He's good for another ten years at least,' insists Suzuki. 'He has no plans to retire.'"

Other things: "Ghibli is planning two 30-minute animations, that may be helmed by someone other than Miyazaki. They will be released in a double-bill, tentatively in the summer of 2006. The stories are still a secret, Suzuki says."

- "(Suzuki) does not intend to change Ghibli's release pattern of a new Miyazaki every 3 years. "People are eager to see his films because he doesn't make them quickly," says Suzuki. "If he made one a year, they wouldn't be nearly as interested." Pixar, suggests Suzuki, "ought to slow down."

- There are "no plans" for any special comemoration of Studio Ghibli's 20th birthday.

- "In South Korea, Howl is on its way to five million admissions, a record for a Japanese film."

- "Inside the lobby of their headquarters, Miyazaki, Suzuki and the semi-retired Takahata all have their punchcards in a rack, together with those of the studio's hundred or so other employees."

Myxo

I can't wait for this. Spirited Away was incredible.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Howl's' a natural draw for an anime master
Hayao Miyazaki made a tale by a British writer uniquely his, and now his hit film has an English-language version.
By Jake Forbes, Special to The Los Angeles Times

Japanese animation has been influencing American pop culture for years now, appearing in everything from "Teen Titans" to Tarantino to Nike ads. How fitting, then, that Japan's top animator, Academy Award winner Hayao Miyazaki, still looks to Old Europe and English literature for inspiration.

Miyazaki's latest project, "Howl's Moving Castle," is no exception. In fact, while many of his films feature castles, witches and Alsatian vistas, this is the first time he's directed a film adapted from Western source material. (He previously contributed as an animator to adaptations of "Heidi" and "Anne of Green Gables.")

On Friday, Walt Disney Studios will release an English-language dub of "Howl's," in collaboration with Pixar Animation Studios and featuring the voices of an all-star cast led by Christian Bale, Jean Simmons and Billy Crystal.

It's easy to see what attracted Miyazaki to "Howl's Moving Castle," the 1986 novel by prolific Brit scribe Diana Wynne Jones. With its warring wizards, quirky and cute characters and magical transformations, the book practically howls to be animated.

"Howl's" tells the story of Sophie Hatter, a modest and thoroughly normal girl who is transformed into an old woman by the Witch of the Waste. When she sets off in search of a way to reverse the curse, Sophie crosses paths with the wizard Howl, a lovable cad who, when he's not off stealing young women's hearts (some say literally), lives in an ambulatory castle with his fire demon, Calcifer, and a young apprentice.

For Miyazaki, making a straightforward adaptation was out of the question. "In a Miyazaki film, he is the storyteller," explained Pete Docter, who directed "Monsters Inc." and, along with Rick Dempsey, co-directed the English-language dub of "Howl's." "In America, making an animated feature is such a collaborative process, but he just locks himself in a room and starts writing and drawing."

While the film starts off remarkably close to the book, it isn't long before Miyazaki's sensibilities take center stage.

Visually, Miyazaki's version of the fantasy realm of Ingary is far more sumptuous than Jones' descriptions.

"There's so much color, there's so much detail," Dempsey said. "You really need to take a step back to appreciate everything."

Ever since his landmark children's film "My Neighbor Totoro," Miyazaki has been famous for his ability to make nonhuman and even nonspeaking characters rich and complex. In "Howl's Moving Castle," the demon Calcifer and the dog Heen almost steal the show. Even spiders and scarecrows have a soul in Miyazaki's hands.

"Rarely do you find a film where you can watch and see something you've never seen before," said the film's executive producer, John Lasseter, a longtime friend of Miyazaki. "This guy is one of the greatest that's ever lived."

Evil takes a break

Miyazaki isn't just a great visual storyteller — he's a man of conscience. And here, he has molded "Howl's" to fit his own worldview.

For one thing, in his version, there are no evil characters. Even the Witch of the Waste, who seems like a traditional villain in the opening scenes, is rendered sympathetic by Miyazaki and is accepted with open arms by the very girl she cursed. Instead of a villain, Miyazaki adds an entirely new subplot — a brutal war between two kingdoms. And Howl becomes an antiwar martyr who destroys warships regardless of for whom and why they fight.

Man's destructiveness is offset by quiet moments of reflection on nature's beauty, even as the film is charging toward its climax.

Studio Ghibli, which produced "Howl's Moving Castle" and was co-founded by Miyazaki, is seldom subtle in its environmental and pacifist themes (the Ghibli-produced "Grave of the Fireflies" has been called one of the best antiwar films ever made).

"Telling stories about the past can help us in how we think about the future," said Toshio Suzuki, Miyazaki's longtime friend and producer on "Howl's." "We make films believing that it's something worthwhile."

Miyazaki's film's don't so much follow logic as they do the director's instincts.

"What he says in the morning can make a 180-degree shift by evening," Suzuki said. "The staff is bewildered by this, but once you learn to look at it differently, it all makes sense."

Miyazaki, who rarely grants interviews, once said: "It's not me who makes the film. The film makes itself, and I have no choice but to follow."

Apparently, Miyazaki's instincts were once again spot-on. "Howl's" opened in Japan in November to record-breaking success. Already it has earned $210 million in international box office and ranks as Japan's third-highest-grossing film of all time (Miyazaki's last film, "Spirited Away," remains No. 1).

When it came time to prepare the film for U.S. release, Studio Ghibli requested the aide of Pixar's Lasseter and Docter. Docter joined with veteran Disney voice director Dempsey to co-direct the Disney release. Overseeing the script adaptation were Cindy and Donald Hewitt, who wrote the English-language script for the Oscar-winning "Spirited Away."

First came casting. "The characters are so strong in 'Howl's,' especially Old Sophie," after the girl is transformed by the witch's curse, Dempsey said. "We knew we had to get her right. We couldn't fake the age." Docter and Dempsey found their Old Sophie in a screen legend — Simmons ("Spartacus," "Great Expectations"). "She really got into the character" during the dubbing sessions, Dempsey said. "She hunched over, making her posture like Sophie's to ensure that she would sound like that character."

For Howl, the directors wanted a strong, commanding voice. They found their man by laying voice clips of Bale as Batman over images of Howl. (Adam West, take note — Dempsey previously cast Michael Keaton to do the dubbing for the DVD release of Miyazaki's "Porco Rosso" by pairing Keaton's version of Batman with the character).

They enlisted Crystal as the voice of Calcifer, the fire demon. "Calcifer is such a great comedic character," said Dempsey. "We thought maybe we could bring a bit of [Crystal's] character to the role."

At ease, anime purists. Although Crystal improvised some takes in the recording process, what appears in the film is a very literal translation of the Japanese.

The greatest cultural barrier that the directors faced was the ambiguity in the script.

"Japanese audiences don't mind as much when a film leaves things a little mysterious," Dempsey explained. "For American audiences … we don't like to leave the theater scratching our head and asking, 'Now what was that about?' "

The reasons for Miyazaki's war, for example, were unclear. The Hewitts suggested three spots where the story could be clarified to explain the reasons behind the war. Ghibli approved only one.

Another subtext that could have easily been lost in translation was taken straight from Jones' original book. "All of these characters are in love with Howl," Docter said. "It's very subtle in the Japanese, but we tried very hard to make sure it came out in the English."

As it comes full circle with the English-language dub, "Howl's" is either the most English of anime or the most Japanese of English fantasies ever made. Either way, it's unlikely audiences have ever seen anything like it — a mongrel of the highest pedigree.

Skeleton FilmWorks

noyes

god i can't wait to see this film. mostly likely gonna watch it at the moma.
south america's my name.

w/o horse

It went into wide release.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

RegularKarate

I saw this yesterday.  It's not nearly as good as Spirited Away.
Doesn't really come close, actually.

I still liked it.  Just don't expect TOO much.

Visually, it's pretty fantastic in spots.  It's also extremely creative (as per usual when it comes to his films).  It just never really sucked me in.  I was really interested in the universe it created, I just wasn't that interested with what was happening in it.

Also, I'm really waiting for the DVD release because the celebrity overdub gets annoying.  Especially Billy Crystal.  And there are scenes where I'm sure the translation was altered for the sake of overexplaining things.