TOP 10 2007

Started by modage, January 01, 2008, 04:06:10 PM

NEON MERCURY

ZODIAC sunshine THERE WILL BE BLOOD across the universe NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN eastern promises 300 the lookout THE BORNE ULTIMATUM knocked up....yeah, theres still alot i need to see :(

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

1. Zodiac
2. Lake of Fire
3. No Country For Old Men
4. There Will Be Blood
5. The Assassination of Jesse James
6. Eastern Promises
7. Persepolis
8. Knocked Up
9. Superbad
10. Lynch (one)
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

I'm not going to pretend I've seen every contender best film of the year. I don't have a Top Ten list and probably never will do another full one, but it's good to distinguish the genuinely great works of last year:

Good Art: Alexander Revisited, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and Michael Clayton.

Good Entertainment: Ratatouille and The Bourne Ultimatum.

That's it. I'm not a movie buff. I don't make too much out of the simple enjoyment a lot of movies possess. I believe in the idea that 95% of films made suck. I also just looked back and was pleased whenever I saw a list that didn't have There Will be Blood anywhere on it or had better movies like Super Bad or Knocked Up ahead of it. Haha, good fun.

brockly

not to be an asshole or anything, you're entitled to your opinion, and you're entitled to think it's better than everyone else's, but saying super bad and knocked up are better movies than blood is a little inconsistent with your method of separating art from entertainment.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: brockly on March 27, 2008, 06:25:45 PM
not to be an asshole or anything, you're entitled to your opinion, and you're entitled to think it's better than everyone else's, but saying super bad and knocked up are better movies than blood is a little inconsistent with your method of separating art from entertainment.

Decent entertainment trumps awful art.

brockly

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on March 27, 2008, 06:29:58 PM
Quote from: brockly on March 27, 2008, 06:25:45 PM

Decent entertainment trumps awful art.

:(

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

to clarify, in case it wasn't obvious, i wasn't implying that blood is better than either of those movies because it's art. it is, but that wasn't what i was getting at.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: brockly on March 27, 2008, 09:30:36 PM
to clarify, in case it wasn't obvious, i wasn't implying that blood is better than either of those movies because it's art. it is, but that wasn't what i was getting at.

I'd be interested in an explanation because I don't follow. I'm not trying to be a prick.

brockly

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on March 28, 2008, 12:52:15 AM
Quote from: brockly on March 27, 2008, 09:30:36 PM

I'd be interested in an explanation because I don't follow. I'm not trying to be a prick.

neither am i. it just seemed like you were contradicting yourself a little making that assessment (sb/ku > cmbb) after refusing to rank art amongst entertainment, which is what everyone else is doing. though after reviewing your post, it doesn't appear you were even ranking the films you mentioned, which is what i originally thought you were doing.

picolas

because i haven't done a top ten for a few years and this year was absolutely amazing and i got to see most of the great movies i did a top 30.

pete

what was number 25?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

picolas

Gamblour.

While we're at it, what was 13, 18, and 19?
WWPTAD?