Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

MacGuffin

BBC Worldwide Music Television has signed a deal with Radiohead to distribute internationally a new and exclusive live performance of Radiohead's eighth album, 'The King of Limbs'. Radiohead –The King of Limbs: Live From The Basement is a 55-minute performance from one of the most successful and critically acclaimed acts of their generation, who have sold over 30 million albums worldwide. The programme will feature the notoriously elusive band performing the entirety of their celebrated new album in a studio setting with some additional behind the scenes material. It is scheduled to be the first time that the grammy-award winners are captured on camera this year. The King of Limbs album was released digitally in February 2011 and physically at the end of March 2011, yet this exclusive performance will be the first time the band will have played this collection of songs in public. The band will be performing for acclaimed music show 'From the Basement', the brain child of production genius Nigel Godrich, who has either engineered or produced all of Radiohead's albums since The Bends and has worked with a variety of international acts including Paul McCartney, U2, R.E.M and Air. Having launched the title at MIPTV, BBC Worldwide has already received pre-sale offers for a number of major territories and expects to have a substantial network of broadcasters in place for its premiere. Salim Mukaddam, VP Music Television at BBC Worldwide said, "It is a real honour to be working with Radiohead on this project. Radiohead are a band that rarely performs for television, but when they do, it's a moment to savour. There is already huge anticipation for this performance and we're delighted that they've decided to work with us at BBC Worldwide, confirming our position as market leaders in Music Television. As a fan I cannot wait to see these beautiful songs brought to life in this programme." Bryce Edge of Courtyard Management, Radiohead's management company said, "This will be Radiohead's first collaboration with BBC Worldwide and the band are excited at the prospect of having their first live performance of 'The King of Limbs' broadcast around the world . The band will be filmed and recorded by the From The Basement team, which includes Nigel Godrich their long time producer, Dilly Gent ,who commissioned many of the memorable Radiohead videos and Grant Gee who filmed the Radiohead documentary 'Meeting People is Easy'" Radiohead –The King of Limbs: Live from the Basement becomes available to international broadcasters in June and is embargoed for broadcast until 1st July 2011. The programme is filmed in HD, will have no audience and no presenter –just a rare opportunity to see an intimate performance from one of the greatest bands in the world.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

A few years ago I was really into downloading live performance movie files of these guys.  Still have a lot of them somewhere.  Only certain songs are really enhanced by a live performance, but still, I look forward to this.  And yeah, Supercollider is something special.  The album as a whole is a bit too sparse, but flashes of brilliance have started to emerge as they typically do.  I think I'm alone in liking Little by Little, but it's delightfully creepy.  The inhale-exhale of Feral is smooth -- it's alive!  And I loved how Chuck used Codex.

picolas

made this to get supercollider out of my system

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 03, 2011, 08:02:36 PM
obligatory statement from promoter "As a fanboy I cannot wait to see these beautiful unsatisfying songs brought to life in this programme."

fixed. i mean, yes i too would like to see them bring life to the half dead corpse that is king of limbs.

also:

Quote from: picolas on May 04, 2011, 01:13:04 AM
made this to get supercollider out of my system

well done good mashup.

wait.. what the fuck is this? this song is amazing! WHY ISN'T IT ON THE ALBUM?  yeah radiohead have no idea what they're doing anymore. either they stopped believing in the idea of a good album or they just plain don't give a fuck. same goes for Harry Patch which is pretty much the best thing they've done in years.

all i can hope for now with all my strength and wishes is that they come to their senses and acknowledge that this last album was at best half a dud, so when it comes to any upcoming concerts they only play the good ones mixed with their bona fide classics (almost every other album) and pretend the rest never happened. it's just a shame that any chance i get of seeing them now has the risk of being tainted with the worst fragments of Limbs.

seriously, something is really wrong when their NON album singles are better than anything on the actual fucking thing. and everyone is eating it up! it baffles me.. maybe i just dont like radiohead anymore. no.. that's not it.. after the king of limbs debacle i relistened to every other album and was blown away by what radiohead REALLY sound like.

even though they've always been constantly changing they always managed to retain some MEAT on their albums and every song felt distinct and in its right place (how can anyone forget that classic btw? that song alone trumps their entire output this year..) i don't know what direction they're going in right now.

maybe they're* about to break up.

*/we're
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

We know they can still make great music (Limbs does have 2-3 amazing songs), so maybe they've just gotten bad at judging the relative quality of their songs after the fact.

It is disappointing... tragic, even... that after Limbs, we can now reasonably expect filler in future Radiohead albums... kind of like most other bands.

tpfkabi

Quote from: ono on May 03, 2011, 09:02:50 PM
I think I'm alone in liking Little by Little, but it's delightfully creepy.  And I loved how Chuck used Codex.

I have always liked LBL. My friend who I've seen 3 Radiohead shows said he would take LBL off and put either one or both of those 2 new tracks in it's place. I can't really see what it is specifically about LBL that people don't like.

Now that I have the BBC channel I need to see if From the Basement airs regularly on there.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Weezer covers Paranoid Android
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

^^ me likey

i've always wondered where they got the name 'pablo honey' from, turns out its this jerky boyz skit

love jerky boyz

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

cronopio 2

edward tufte would be so embarrassed.

Pozer

new song Staircase from that BBC Basement thing. never cared for the acoustic solo Thom version too much but likes this. anover one that could have been Limbs'd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFTLxkMmY4M&feature=share

what does Mr. Pubs think? keeping their steady pace towards writeoffsville? Thom's haircut only advancing the step backwards??

mogwai

Quote from: Pozer on June 21, 2011, 11:37:53 AMThom's haircut only advancing the step backwards??

Well, he can't beat his own haircut in 1994 though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFbktwoxz6Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=366s

Can't say the same about Phil Selway's though. :yabbse-tongue:

cronopio 2

very good song. that mixture of drum and bass is kind of like radiohead's trademark now, isn't it? phil is so great in this. thom would be better if he'd contain his excitement about the muppets movie.

ono

Quote from: cronopio 2 on June 21, 2011, 08:00:14 PMthom would be better if he'd contain his excitement about the muppets movie.
Brilliant.  :yabbse-thumbup:

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche