The Master - SPOILERS!

Started by polkablues, August 18, 2012, 01:41:45 AM

Lottery

I wonder if Scientology can work as the prime pieces of evidence against religion as a whole.

Probably not, a bit harsh.

Neil

Using the words, 'evidence' and 'religion' in the same sentence was your 1st mistake.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Lottery

It's interesting to look at scientology as a microcosm of the more established religions.  It's had a relatively peaceful growth in comparison to the others, that is until the great Scientology Wars of the 2340s

Cloudy

Everyone needs to read this, it's an analysis on the film, PTA, Joaquin, in such well thought out detail. It would be great if he would post here.

Modage recently posted it on Twitter, long and dense:

http://okc.net/2013/02/26/california-dreamin-absorbing-paul-thomas-andersons-master/

Cloudy

Modage just posted this video analysis of PDL, TWBB, The Master all together as a trilogy. I love the connection between PSH's characters from PDL/Master the most. This guy has done really interesting video essay's on PDL/TWBB as well if you haven't seen them. Hoping he does one for The Master.

*edit: in the first 10 seconds he says he'll be posting a full Master analysis later this week, didn't catch that...right on.

Cloudy

Definitely not as good as his other analysis' in my opinion. His PDL/TWBB were way more interesting.

Lottery

Quick show of hands. Who thinks Freddie changed? Who thinks he is the same animal he ever was?

Just want to gauge opinions.

Sleepless

Are we talking about The Master's Freddie or Xixax's Freddie?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Lottery

You know what, either will do.

Jeremy Blackman

I was of the opinion that he improved slightly. He hasn't sobered up, but a certain amount of self-actualization seems to have occurred.

He's certainly not the same, and definitely not worse.

Ulivija

A great article about Scientology that mentions "The Master":

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/apr/25/scientology-story

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This part definitely reminded me of Freddie's radio ad for the Cause when he says: "It works".

The Beat writer William S. Burroughs, an early enthusiast, described it in a letter to Allen Ginsberg: Scientologists "do the job without hypnosis or drugs, simply run the tape back and forth until the trauma is wiped off. It works. I have used the method—partially responsible for recent changes."

socketlevel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 10, 2013, 04:42:42 PM
I was of the opinion that he improved slightly. He hasn't sobered up, but a certain amount of self-actualization seems to have occurred.

He's certainly not the same, and definitely not worse.

agreed, same flawed man who's more at peace with his flaws... and hey that's all we can really ask for.
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel

Quote from: Lottery on April 10, 2013, 07:07:48 AM
Who thinks Freddie changed? Who thinks he is the same animal he ever was?

I like the way this dude put it, from the article Cloudy posted on the previous page:

"Like "There Will Be Blood" the film ends when a son figure must accept or reject the father figure. By this moment Freddie Quell has under our noses experienced what all heroes in novels are supposed to, he has experienced change. He knows himself. He will go drink, but he will not be controlled, at least by men like Dodd. And that's a lot of freedom."

Jeremy Blackman

I don't think Dodd is a father figure, and I don't really think Freddie "rejected" him.

Cloudy

The more I think about it the more I'm not sure if he grew or not, and the more I realize that's not the point of the film. If we think of him as someone from a bad break-up, it seems like at the end he's going back to who he used to be, but with more experience. Instead of trying to be someone he's not. I think that's a happy ending because maybe this could help him find something that will help his real potential to grow later. The movie showed a vulnerable soul go to a place where he could have been brainwashed and abused, but instead learned more about what doesn't work for him.

*EDIT: Here's a FANTASTIC 3 minute analysis of The Master, probably the most insightful compilation I've seen thus far.  (cred:modage)