Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

bonanzataz

i always thought the clapper scene was hokey and sort of mocking to barry's character. like a cheap gag that didn't serve much purpose. i've grown to like it, but not much.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

oakmanc234

Little stuff I liked.....

-When 'Georgia' calls Barry back the next morning, Barry walks (slowly) further and further away from the camera as the conversation proceeds...
-Barry's little 'No thanks' when threatened on the phone.
-How he is all pleasant at the party but we notice his smile fading more and more as the camera slowly closes in on him.
-'And bye bye, you stupid motherf***er'
-Tells Lance that he's gotta talk to him about some 'guy'.
-After he tells Dean to go f*** himself, Dean tries to keep his cool, then explodes- 'f***!'
-That sleek kick in the gut/slam in the face that he delivers to one of the brothers (looked so damn cool).
-The bit where he try's to find Lena's apartment again (almost on the brink of tears).
-When he absolutely goes off at his sister over the phone 'I'm gonna f***in' kill you!!! You want that?!!!
-Buys shitloads of pudding so that he can fly to see Lena straight away (so happy about it that he's tap dancing) before it cuts straight to him being told over the phone that the info won't process for 6 to 8 weeks....
-Is more freaked out about a harmonium that's dumped on the street than the car that crashed infront of him just seconds before...
-When ordered to leave the resteraunt after destroying the bathroom ('Sir, I'm gonna crack your f***in' head open') he tells Lena 'I don't like it here, we should leave'....
-Those little glances that Lance does...

I gotta see that movie again.....soon.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazi always thought the clapper scene was hokey and sort of mocking to barry's character. like a cheap gag that didn't serve much purpose. i've grown to like it, but not much.

That wasn't scripted. Actually, in relation to those bed scenes, Barry's quirk was that he was supposed to be a sleepwalker, waking up dressed in different clothes. Lena wakes up to watch him changing into a hotel bath robe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Travis Bickle

Those are also the only two scenes where he's not in his suit.

Duck Sauce

I dont know if this has been discussed yet but what does "D&D" stand for in "D&D Mattress Man"?

Dirk Diggler possibly?

or just Dean Trumble

Cecil

Quote from: Duck SauceI dont know if this has been discussed yet but what does "D&D" stand for in "D&D Mattress Man"?

"drugs & dessert"

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: Duck SauceI dont know if this has been discussed yet but what does "D&D" stand for in "D&D Mattress Man"?

"drugs & dessert"

ahh a fine diet

Sigur Rós

D & D....Dirk Diggler! Yeah! didn't notice that! :-D
cool!

tpfkabi

i like the weird foot movements sandler does.....at the first when he's talking to Guzman about the piano and backs up kinda weird...right before the first color swipe.....and then at the hospital when he's framed in the door and we see Lena's legs and he goes off to the phone.........i wonder if sandler just did that on the spot?.......i also love the supermarket dance......i've caught myself doing it every once in a while
=====================
oh, i love when barry calls angry to georgia.....the time when she connects him to Hoffman.....when she comes back on she still calls him "sexy"
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

oakmanc234

bigideas wrote: i also love the supermarket dance......i've caught myself doing it every once in a while

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to say it but I do it every now and then too (it's pretty fun but it's become a habit). I did it in a supermarket aisle last week when fooling about with my mate.

Gladly, no one saw.

Duck Sauce

I like when Barry is talking on the phone (to Dean I think) and he has his hand over his ear and keeps flipping it forward and down every couple seconds.

oakmanc234

That's when he's being told about the pudding coupons not being able to process immediately 'But I had this planned in my head'
(right before he punches a hole in the wall, love those little outbursts)

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: oakmanc234bigideas wrote: i also love the supermarket dance......i've caught myself doing it every once in a while

:shock: yikes

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideasi also love the supermarket dance......i've caught myself doing it every once in a while
Check yo nuts if dey still works.
under the paving stones.