Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

fulty

Quote from: av8raaron(just because they drive on the left dosen't mean THAT much, does it?).
Do you mean the opening crash scene happening on the left side of the street,
followed by Lena entering the driveway from the left side of the street?
I took that to be the subtle connection.
Crash = devastating divorce
Harmonium = discarded broken love
Then because Lena is on the wrong side of the street....she's the one.!
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

av8raaron

Actually, I was going for a stupid reference to the fact that Emily Watson and therefore Lena (presumably) is British.

I've agreed with the Lena's love=harmonium metaphor, that's one of only a few obvious harmonium references.  I'm not totally convinced that there's anything to the Jeep being on the left side when it flips or Lena's Geo pulling in from what appears to be the left side of the street.  That seems like it could easily be that way simply because it looked right at the time or somebody thought it would be cool and quirky to do it as such.  Especially since both the taxicab that actually drops off the harmonium and the Atlas "Relocation at it's best" moving van both drive on the right side.

"There's a piano in the street."
"Uh, yeah."
Fresh buttered toast.

children with angels

I was obviously on the lookout for Magnolia-like tiny delights the second time round and came up with kind of a weird one: there's this really prominent bright blue bottle of cleaning fluid in Barry's appartment, sitting on the table, as he's making his phone sex call - and the exact same bottle is in Phillip Seymore Hoffman's place of business at the end. Now: what does THAT mean?! I have no idea, but I like it anyway...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

av8raaron

There's actually a pretty good amount of stuff that appears both at Barry's office and home and in Dean's office.  Most of the stuff has been covered in forums and at places like ptanderson.com, but there are things like their "first dollars," a harmonium in each, and even a Ukelele in the back of D&D Mattress Man which we only see after the Hawaii sequence.  At Dean's office, there's certainly some "adult entertainment" going on as the phone sex operators are in the next room over, with a few bits of things seen at Barry's business (harmonium, etc.).  At the Funger place in L.A., it looks like the workers have taped up a few nudie photos - they're on the wall above the computer and phone in the warehouse.
Fresh buttered toast.

silentasylum

im very curious to find out if that is Lena following Barry in the supermarket, does anyone know for sure or will i have to wait until this comes out on DVD to find out?

in the thread for the award for best editing in this forum, it definetly appears to be her.
J.C. Rangel

MacGuffin

Quote from: silentasylumim very curious to find out if that is Lena following Barry in the supermarket, does anyone know for sure or will i have to wait until this comes out on DVD to find out?

in the thread for the award for best editing in this forum, it definetly appears to be her.

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=443
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

number9

there's a copy of this book on barry's desk at work and I think, I may be hearing things, that the noises the truck makes when turning, when barry and lena are leaving the restaurant, are the notes from the music that's playing in the scene.

sphinx

it's the brakes of the truck that match, the sequence of the notes go

C B A A# C D

bonanzataz

Quote from: sphinxit's the brakes of the truck that match, the sequence of the notes go

C B A A# C D

that doesn't sound right. i don't recognize that tune. are you sure?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

sphinx

go play it on your piano and come back to me!

actually, i accidentally switched the order of two notes, sorry.

it's C B A# A C D

bonanzataz

i had just played it on my piano. but the note switching would explain it, let me go check.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

bonanzataz

yeah, i got confused. there's no A regular and the C and D at the end are an octave lower than the first C (i was playing them in the higher octave). sigh.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: bonanzatazthere's no A regular and the C and D at the end are an octave lower than the first C (i was playing them in the higher octave). sigh.

Well then speed it up a few octaves

sphinx

Quote from: bonanzatazyeah, i got confused. there's no A regular and the C and D at the end are an octave lower than the first C (i was playing them in the higher octave). sigh.

there is an a natural if you're playing what barry is.  the score drops it, though

Pedro

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: bonanzatazthere's no A regular and the C and D at the end are an octave lower than the first C (i was playing them in the higher octave). sigh.

Well then speed it up a few octaves

:lol: HAHA.  That's my favorite John C. Reily moment.