Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

life_boy

Quote from: bonanzatazInteresting tidbit for anybody who didn't know - Being There was the first movie to feature a blooper reel during the end credits. In 1980 I believe it was.

Being There was 1979.

Satcho9

RegularKarate

Quote from: Satcho9Best end credit bloopers- Run Ronnie Run.
You're a bastard for having seen that.  It'll never get released now.

oakmanc234

I especially loved how there were little touches of Sandler goofiness in PDL that you'd never see in a PTA film.

e.g. Sandler walks into the door after trying out the harmonium/showing how unbreakable the plunger is by...breaking it/Sandler falls while running back to his office/Sandler randomly starts tap dancing in the supermarket/concentrating on chatting up Lena while all hell is breaking loose at work/the hilariously wimpy 'No,no,ow,ow,ow' as one of the brothers comes up to punch him/running around with a phone handle cause he doesn't realise he has it etc.

All very cool.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

ReelHotGames

After Adam Sandler beats up the bathroom he's in his office and there is a shot of his hand, I believe as he dials or answers a phone call, and the cuts on his knuckles SPELL OUT "L-O-V-E"
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

joke08

YES!!
I read all the messages planning to post that shot of "LOVE" on his bruised knuckles, but you beat me to it. That was pretty cool. This was a beautiful movie.

OH, I like the rehearsed bloopers at the end of the Toy Story movies.
i've been drinking more wine lately.
it's good for you pop.
yeah, well anyway, i've been drinking more wine
(vito to michael, Godfather I)

Cecil

Quote from: joke08

OH, I like the rehearsed bloopers at the end of the Toy Story movies.

hands down the funniest "bloopers" ever!

fulty

Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

av8raaron

I got a good laugh out of every "Yeah no,..." sentance - that's something I do on a fairly regular basis.

When Barry and Lena are sitting at the table in Hawaii, right between the lines "You got me out of my hotel room.  So nice." and "It really looks like Hawaii here," a man in a gorilla suit walks across the beach in the background.  Why?  Beats me, but I've gotta love an inside joke that PTA knew only a couple people would pick out.

I'm still trying to figure out why the Apollo space mission footage is on every TV.

"What, is it like a secret pudding?" is an incredibly funny line - I have no idea why, though.

Carter's phone extension is 215.  Lena lives in apartment 216.  Why?

While I'm writing details, apologies to Paul at 818-775-3993.  It's Barry's phone number in the movie and while a Paul does answer the phone, it's not the Paul we would want to talk to.  Same goes for Eckhart Auto Body - I figured the number was on the sign so I'd give it a call.  Turns out to be a real body shop that's not too interested in discussing film over long distance.
Fresh buttered toast.

sphinx

the guy who runs eckhart actually posted a lot on the old boards, showed up pictures and told us stories about the filming there

av8raaron

There's also some amusing stuff in conversation chatter, though not all theatres had audio good enough to make it clear.  At Barry's sister's house, in the chatter immediately before the glass doors get smashed, there's some good stuff - all at Barry's expense.  On the right side of the shot through the glass, the smiling photo of Sandler always got a laugh as well.
Fresh buttered toast.

fulty

Quote from: av8raaronI'm still trying to figure out why the Apollo space mission footage is on every TV.
I think they say "Here we go" as they decide to land.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

av8raaron

It kind of fits with PTA's "sci-fi" feel, though sci-fi would be much better than vintage NASA shots.  I suppose it works pretty well with the metaphor put forth that Lena is the first "visitor" from her planet that has reached Barry (just because they drive on the left dosen't mean THAT much, does it?).

I don't know - mabye when the PDL DVD that actually has commentary and special features comes out there will be some better explanations.
Fresh buttered toast.

MacGuffin

Quote from: sphinxthe guy who runs eckhart actually posted a lot on the old boards, showed up pictures and told us stories about the filming there

He followed us here. He also sent out T-shirts to those who requested them:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks