Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2012, 12:24:47 PM
there's a shot where Barry gets back in his vehicle after keeping Lena safe from the brothers and they have the camera mounted on the door.  So, when he shut the door the camera slams with the door, thus pulling the shot into a close up.

Pubricks comment recently about PTA's love for Huston made me realize this exact shot is in WISE BLOOD!!!

Neat nod.

Great thread btw.
I absolutely love that shot, it's like manic up until when the door slams, like a crescendo, and then it calms the scene down, exactly how Barry is trying to calm Lena down.
That exact shot is in Sexy Beast (2000) aswell btw

InTylerWeTrust

I'm sure these have been mentioned before... But my favorite are:

- He's in Hawaii and the phonebooth lights up when Barry hears Lena's voice  (Also the way the cheering increases in the background)

- When Luis Guzman's chair breaks HAHA

- The Signs throughout the film, at very specific moments... "exit" "Relocation at it's best" "we''re open", etc...  Reminds me of that Part in MAGNOLIA right before the rain of frogs, there's a sign that says "Exodus 8:2" and another that says "Everything must go"   :yabbse-smiley:

This movie really needs to be on fucking Blu-ray... Criterion needs to get on that shit!
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Pubrick

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on September 05, 2012, 01:55:34 PM
This movie really needs to be on fucking Blu-ray... Criterion needs to get on that shit!

This is true. Does PTA have any say on this? He must. It's like how woodsy allen can't be bothered releasing his movies on anything but the most barebones of discs, and David Fincher always goes above and beyond on the home releases.

Maybe he thinks he got it right the first time by insisting on that special "superbit" thing that no else ever bothered to do. Maybe that was his quirky delight. It'd be a good interview question to ask anyway.
under the paving stones.

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: Pubrick on September 05, 2012, 05:00:11 PM
Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on September 05, 2012, 01:55:34 PM

This is true. Does PTA have any say on this? He must. It's like how woodsy allen can't be bothered releasing his movies on anything but the most barebones of discs, and David Fincher always goes above and beyond on the home releases.

Maybe he thinks he got it right the first time by insisting on that special "superbit" thing that no else ever bothered to do. Maybe that was his quirky delight. It'd be a good interview question to ask anyway.

Nice one, it would be a great interview question. Put that comment in the thread.

RegularKarate

While it's far from the same, PDL IS available in HD on Netflix streaming. I watched it a few weeks ago and the transfer was pretty decent and the colors are deeper and crisper than the DVD even if it is a bit more digital looking.

I do find that when something hits Netflix streaming in HD, a bluray release often follows. I'm hoping for this and Thief.

Sleepless

I'm sure someone else has probably already pointed this out before, but the woman in red who stalks Barry through the grocery store is supposed to be Lena, right? 'Cos she always wears red like he always wears blue.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

Oh, it's only been mentioned like a million times ( it's actually the VERY FIRST quirky delight in this thread ) but I, personally have never seen it. I'm gonna have to watch it again and give this thread a run through, it's been a couple years  :ponder:

Sleepless

Haha, I knew someone would have said it. Just exposed how lazy I am in searching through the thread before. All I can remember is that someone once mentioned on here years ago about "the woman in red" and I was thinking, I wondering if anyone ever said it was Lena...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drenk

I saw a YouTube video saying that the woman came from Barry's mind. He's obsessed. I prefer this. I know Lena could be an alien or something, but she has her alien life with harmoniums, following Barry all the time is too creepy. Even for creepy Lena !

Here is the video I saw !

Ascension.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sleepless on September 21, 2012, 02:15:11 PM
Haha, I knew someone would have said it. Just exposed how lazy I am in searching through the thread before. All I can remember is that someone once mentioned on here years ago about "the woman in red" and I was thinking, I wondering if anyone ever said it was Lena...

The Playlist took credit for it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

Quote from: RegularKarate on September 06, 2012, 10:25:16 AM
While it's far from the same, PDL IS available in HD on Netflix streaming. I watched it a few weeks ago and the transfer was pretty decent and the colors are deeper and crisper than the DVD even if it is a bit more digital looking.

thanks for the tip! I was getting ready to watch the DVD this morning and I remembered this. It looks really good.

I had never noticed this, didn't see anyone else bring it up.

When Lance first enters he's like "What's with the suit?" and can't take his eyes off of Barry, sizing him up. The next day when Barry comes in, Lance is in a suit. He holds out his arms like, "Check me out" but Barry is too preoccupied with the phone scam to notice. The next day Lance wears no suit. Poor guy.

In Blossoms and Blood, Barry is going to pick Lena up for their first date. The apartment he goes to is 217- number of the haunted room in The Shining novel. IDK, but this old lady seemed a little too eager to open her door to a stranger. If Barry didn't have a better head on his shoulders and got lured in, he might not have gotten out of there without sustaining some serious trauma. Isn't it funny how her apartment building is like a maze to Barry? Completely deserted too. Something to mull over...

after the 'Thank Yous' in the end credits, it says "Boom - Bang - Larrabee - 91 Hunjee - Hi there - Bye There - For TD"

WTF? I think the 'TD' stands for Ted Demme, but that's the only thing I understand. 91 hunjee?

modage

Don't think I ever noticed the Lance thing, that's great.

But I think "The Shining" room is right down the hall.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

I think there should be a "quirky delights in The Master" thread, since they ARE sister films...  Maybe just go by a different title, Queasy delights?