Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

The Perineum Falcon

Didn't think this deserved it own thread, but I thought it a delightful suggestion:

There's this blog titled "Nerd Boyfriend," where the blogmaster (or mistress, as the case may be) finds the odd picture or two of famous peoples from yester-year and today, then links to articles of clothing that resembles the threads in the photo. Get it?

And do you see where this is going?

yer goddamn right
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Sleepless

aren't those suits more Austin Powers than Barry Egan?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

RegularKarate

Nerd boyfriend is a great site, I've been going there for at least a year or two.

but yeah, those suit jackets are off.

blackmirror

a brilliant film

and amidst all the to and fro, someone can say hello, here we go

Pubrick

Quote from: blackmirror on May 18, 2010, 11:44:38 PM
a brilliant film

and amidst all the to and fro, someone can say hello, here we go

hi, welcome to xixax.

don't feel obliged, but if you wanna tell us a bit about yourself (like fave movies/directors/how'd you find this place) you can do so at the newb introduction thread..

cool av.
under the paving stones.

Reel

I thought it was funny the last time I saw it how Barry's shoe's always squeak

Fernando

Pubrick

She looks like she's had work done.

She's no longer a quirky delight.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

At first glance I thought it was that hip, new, mildly attractive (which apparently makes her more funny) brunette comedienne "Whitney"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Just watched this again a couple days ago.  Rebought the Superbit after making the mistake of loaning out my original (yeah, never do that unless you're willing to never see it again).  Got sick of waiting for the Blu-Ray to come out, and hey, this was only $8-ish new! Also: the computer "final cut" random order extras thing was an interesting novelty I didn't remember from the 2-disc DVD.

It's hard to know if I'm repeating anyone else.  Quickly glanced this thread, but who knows if it has been said elsewhere.  I probably said it before a long time ago in my paper, but the compositions in this film are nothing short of stunning.  One that always stands out for me is when Barry's sisters are making fun of him, he's shown in front of a china cabinet before he smashes three windows.  Bull in a china shop and whatnot.

Much has been made of the fact that he has seven sisters.  Not as much has been said about the fact that he employs no women (though the same conclusions can be drawn and expanded upon).  Also Barry's business employs the use of cheap Mexican labor.  No wonder he's looking to/can afford to diversify.  Again, proving PTA is clearly racist.

children with angels

I just wanted to volunteer the information, in case people didn't know, that there exists a Jersey Shore episode called "Drunk Punch Love".
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Neil

http://www.omg-facts.com/view/OMG/25165

I'm sure this is already known.  But, here is a 'news story' about a man who buys a bunch of pudding for the airline miles.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pozer

where's Farkus at? i only back up the taunts. cant start em.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Neil

there's a shot where Barry gets back in his vehicle after keeping Lena safe from the brothers and they have the camera mounted on the door.  So, when he shut the door the camera slams with the door, thus pulling the shot into a close up.

Pubricks comment recently about PTA's love for Huston made me realize this exact shot is in WISE BLOOD!!!

Neat nod.

Great thread btw.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.