Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

©brad

I saw PDL (for the 4th time) in Liverpool last friday night. Took a girl I've been hanging out with lately, she had not seen it. I was delightly surprised to get our seats in a packed theater. I was worried that some would walk out, hearing the many stories of this happening. My previous three viewings of the film have been with scarce audiences.

As I saw the Columbia logo come up, I could barely contain myself mentally as I eagerly anticipated the opening wide angle shot of Barry on the phone. It was a really cool, almost surreal experience being in another country watching a film I love with people who have never seen it. I fell in love with the movie all over again- the music, Adam, Emily- my favorite part is def. the scenes in the apt. building with Adam running around. The audience really enjoyed the film too, much laughter at 'the right parts.' No one walked out, in fact, most stayed in their seats as the credits rolled. It was just a good night. The girl I took really liked it too. She is more into literature than film, but even she couldn't get over the innovative sound effects/score and the cinematography. Thank you PTA.

Travis Bickle

Xixax

Just goes to show you... America's taste is all in its mouth.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

soixante

I liked how there was no opening credits, just going from the studio logo straight into the movie.  Then, when you think there will be opening credits a little later, we get multi-colored abstract shapes instead.

Is there any other movie that doesn't have any opening credits whatsoever?  Probably, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Cecil

Quote from: soixante

Is there any other movie that doesn't have any opening credits whatsoever?  Probably, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

i think solaris, right? and traffic too... (just off the top of my head).

its not that uncommon

bonanzataz

Traffic has it. It just says "Traffic" really small at the bottom left hand corner.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Travis Bickle

MacGuffin

Quote from: soixanteIs there any other movie that doesn't have any opening credits whatsoever?

The Pianist
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

Quote from: Travis BickleGangs of New York
everybody's doing it all of sudden

yeah, just like every comedy now has bloopers and outtakes during or after the ending credits.

Travis Bickle

Exactly.
i went and saw shanghi knot funny at all..i just knew that blooper reel was coming at the end. i'm sorry, it just gets incredibly old to me.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Travis BickleExactly.
i went and saw shanghi knot funny at all..i just knew that blooper reel was coming at the end. i'm sorry, it just gets incredibly old to me.

Does anyone else get really annoyed when the bloopers are obviously faked ?  Example: "Baseketball"

life_boy

The 'blooper reel' at the end is one of those things that was funny at first but now, not.  I don't even think outtakes are that funny anymore.  Maybe I'm just cynical.

RegularKarate

Quote from: life_boyThe 'blooper reel' at the end is one of those things that was funny at first but now, not.  I don't even think outtakes are that funny anymore.  Maybe I'm just cynical.

No, you're right... I think people have just gotten used to the fact that people make mistakes during movies.  It's just not very funny.

They should only show those at the end of movies when they're really fucked up or funny.  Like people's hair catching on fire.

bonanzataz

Interesting tidbit for anybody who didn't know - Being There was the first movie to feature a blooper reel during the end credits. In 1980 I believe it was.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

soixante

I especially enjoyed the bloopers during the end credits of Ordinary People and Gandhi.

But seriously -- I think Hal Needham pioneered this dubious practice, with Smokey and the Bandit back in 77.  Or Hooper in 78, or The Villain in 79, which preceded Being There.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Certainly there were bloopers at the end of Smoky 2 in 1980, Cannonball Run in 81, Stroker Ace in 83, Cannonball Run 2 in 84, etc.
Music is your best entertainment value.