Quirky delights in Punch-Drunk Love... discuss them here

Started by Marty McSuperfly, February 08, 2003, 03:57:04 AM

Redlum

Just came across this, thought it was pretty cool...

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

©brad

last days of gerry the elephant

When Barry is in his office, talking on the phone to his sister I believe, and Luis is with the clients showcasing the new break-proof plungers, and the whole time I was wondering if that thing would break as the last one!

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

tpfkabi

calm down, calm down, yes i know it's an old thread.
with no Search feature, sorry if i'm repeating something.

Watching Goodfellas on TV last night, has anyone noticed that Barry cries exactly like Jimmy after Tommy is whacked? Down to the sound and even how he buries his face in his hands and bends over.

They also say "So that's that," or some variant when it cuts back to the overhead shot of Tommy dead on the floor with blood pouring out, which, as we know, is a repeated phrase in PDL.

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

squints

i'm sorry for being mean to last days of gerry the elephant

sorry...four years later.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

this is a fucking brilliant thread.

bigideas, oh child, you don't even realise.. you've done very well in resurrecting this thread, as per the current news ticker imploring everyone to do exactly that. but you've also done very badly by apparently ignoring the previous news and corresponding postings that the search function has been working for months now. it appears you have done both things, failed and triumphed, unknowingly.. you are a true life Chauncey Gardiner.

anyway, i can't wait to watch PDL again and check all these observations, including yours. we should have a thread dedicated to Quirky Delights in CMBB if there isn't one already..
under the paving stones.

Pas

Quote from: P on April 28, 2010, 12:00:22 PM
you are a true life Chauncey Gardiner.

Hahahaha!

It is true this is a very good thread.

Quote from: last days of gerry the elephant on February 16, 2006, 02:05:24 PM
When Barry is in his office, talking on the phone to his sister I believe, and Luis is with the clients showcasing the new break-proof plungers, and the whole time I was wondering if that thing would break as the last one!
Quote from: squints on February 16, 2006, 04:11:44 PM
That is neither quirky..nor a delight

Good times hahaha

Stefen

Quote from: squints on April 28, 2010, 11:57:05 AM
i'm sorry for being mean to last days of gerry the elephant

sorry...four years later.

A little too late. Our friend over me under you passed away on Christmas day. I was friends with him on facebook and what.cd.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Is that true?  I've wondered from time to time if someone from the board died if anyone would know it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Quote from: modage on April 28, 2010, 01:55:54 PM
Is that true?  I've wondered from time to time if someone from the board died if anyone would know it.

I weirdly wonder if Sloth is dead all the time  :yabbse-undecided:

Pubrick

Quote from: Stefen on April 28, 2010, 01:35:09 PM
A little too late. Our friend over me under you passed away on Christmas day. I was friends with him on facebook and what.cd.

details or it didn't happen. getting tired of your pathological lying. no wonder you don't believe anything anyone says..
under the paving stones.

Pozer

Quote from: P on April 28, 2010, 12:00:22 PM
i can't wait to watch PDL again and check all these observations, including yours.

me too. havent watched the movie in some time, been holdin out for bluray so i can finally get Barry's suit blue, blue blue.  

tpfkabi

well, had anyone noticed the Goodfellas/Jimmy laugh/Barry thing?

i guess the difference between me and some people here is that it's always about movies, i don't care about board politics.

the pure reason for this post, any post, is to make conversation for/about a film and stanley kubrick's favorite nightie.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.