Subjects for future Paul films

Started by Vicko99, April 07, 2019, 09:10:43 PM

Vicko99

PTA have tackled worlds that are not widely explored in cinema; say oil, scientology or dressmaking. What do you think he is gonna go for next and better... what would you like him to do?

Lottery

Not exactly subjects but...

That early days of television broadcasting story he was thinking of doing still sounds like a great idea to me.

Adapting 20th century American novelists remains a goldmine for him. I know he has a Vonnegut movie in him.

I want him to do something really warm and delicate and earthy like McCabe and Mrs Miller. Maybe something really natural and Appalachian in style.

Some sort of suffocating, heady horror/love/thriller movie would be great. Especially with how he subscribes to the 'shooting love scenes like murder scenes and murder scenes like love scenes' idea. A more extreme variation on his most recent work, I suppose.

He's also long overdue for another contemporary era movie.

Drenk

I watched his last contemporary movie a few months ago and it looked as old as it was—or I realized for the first time how old it was while watching it. He said that technology made drama more difficult. I see what he means. But he might worry too much about that. And Eighth Grade showed that there's a cinematic way to film screens.
Ascension.

Vicko99

Kinda weird that he still didn't go for some sunset boulevard type of hollywood piece. Possibly a faulkner-esque(??) family drama? The gay underworld before the seventies would be priceless.

Pretty bitter he didn't do Vineland instead of IV.

Drenk

I love IV, but I don't want him to adapt novels anymore. I don't count TWBB, it's way more PTA than IV which is more Pynchon than PTA.
Ascension.

Alethia

Quote from: Vicko99 on April 08, 2019, 11:29:49 AM

Would love to see him adapt Vineland as an unofficial sequel to IV. There are a ton of similarities.

Tdog

Quote from: eward on April 08, 2019, 02:12:04 PM
Quote from: Vicko99 on April 08, 2019, 11:29:49 AM

Would love to see him adapt Vineland as an unofficial sequel to IV. There are a ton of similarities.
I would love that too. If he could get permission to use the IV character names to replace the Vineland names and keep the same actors. That would be awesome. Also I think Vineland kind of covered the death of the hippie dream better than IV as it was well and truly dead by then.

axxonn

I've been reading a book lately about the mysterious death of Thelma Todd. I don't know whether a movie directly about it would be achievable or in the best taste necessarily, but that age of Golden Age Hollywood (and indirectly California) struck me as an amazing avenue for PTA in the future. There are so many threads there, you could go in all sorts of directions.

martinthewarrior

next one is set in the present. you heard it here first.

Tdog

Quote from: martinthewarrior on April 17, 2019, 05:56:30 PM
next one is set in the present. you heard it here first.
Wishful thinking or inside scoop? Is it the Tiffany Hadish movie?

martinthewarrior

scoop. I know the male lead (as of now), but haven't heard anything about Hadish.

Robyn

Quote from: martinthewarrior on April 20, 2019, 04:20:43 PM
scoop. I know the male lead (as of now), but haven't heard anything about Hadish.

Is it Robert Pattinson? 

I don't know your post history here, so I don't know how credible you are.  At the same time I don't see why anyone would be trolling about this.

A film set in the present makes me excited, but a female lead (like Hadish) made me curious as well. Kind of disappointing that we don't get that next.

martinthewarrior

It is not Robert Pattinson, but it will make a lot of sense when it's made public. That said, stuff changes all the time so who knows. This could very well be the Hadish project, but the current lead makes me dubious.

Alethia

Vicko99

Quote from: martinthewarrior on April 20, 2019, 05:08:50 PM
It is not Robert Pattinson, but it will make a lot of sense when it's made public. That said, stuff changes all the time so who knows. This could very well be the Hadish project, but the current lead makes me dubious.
To continue on topic... What world (jazz, television, etc.) is he tackling in this one?