David Gordon Green

Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2003, 10:50:11 AM

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02i was partially kidding. but your avatar is really making me  :oops: over missing ATRG in the theatres and wishing august would get here sooner.

I was pissed cause I only saw it once...but yeah, at least I got to see it. You got PDL to tide you over though, right? I like your idea for the 19th too, with the double feature...that's cool. Your either setting yourself up for an absolutely overwhelming, orgasmic, beautiful feeling times 2 or...well, I couldn't imagine you not liking them but, maybe you'll be disappointed beyond belief...I really really hope it's the former. That's a risky idea.  

God, I can't believe I started something this big, it feel good. Glad a lot of people are so interested in DGG...he's the best thing since PTA, I've said that many times. I'm glad he won't go overlooked.

Gold Trumpet

Anyone else feel DGG has become the most famous director here besides PTA of course? I feel like I can associate this place with DGG as I do with PTA very much so even if DGG has yet to get his own forum.

~rougerum

BonBon85

I just saw George Washington for the first time, and I though it was fantastic. Maybe it's because I haven't seen ATRG for a while, but I think I might have liked GW a little more. Now I'm dying to watch ATRG again.

And as far as 24 frame news goes the commercial showed DGG on the set directing, so it's more than simply an interview.

Ernie

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAnyone else feel DGG has become the most famous director here besides PTA of course? I feel like I can associate this place with DGG as I do with PTA very much so even if DGG has yet to get his own forum.

~rougerum

I'd like to think that he is, just cause I think he is (or will be) an equal to PTA...but I really don't know. I'm not sure how many people like his stuff here actually. I could make a rough estimate but it's hard to say. If I had to guess, I'd say either Scorsese or Kubrick are the second most popular here...or maybe Wes Anderson if your talking about new wave only. I'd say Scorsese is probably my all time favorite and DGG is my most recent favorite for what that's worth.

Anyway, I personally think DGG at least deserves his own forum but one could argue that there's very few actual threads concerning him, most of which made by me...so I don't know. Just my 2 cents of course.

DavTMcGowan

I would just like to personally thank ebeaman.  For a while I thought he was just psycho obsessed or nuts for raving about DGG.  Then I just recently saw George Washington.  Yeah...thanks.  Can't wait for All the Real Girls on DVD.

Ernie

Quote from: DanTMcGovernI would just like to personally thank ebeaman.  For a while I thought he was just psycho obsessed or nuts for raving about DGG.  Then I just recently saw George Washington.  Yeah...thanks.  Can't wait for All the Real Girls on DVD.

Lol, alright...your definitely welcome. I guess I am kind of a psycho but just bear with me, I mean well. I was the same way when I came across PTA and Scorsese and Kubrick and oh so many others. This is not to say I'm like this with every film or filmmaker I come across...they really do have to be something really special to get this kind of attention and praise from me.

Anyway, I just can't say enough how glad I am that DGG is getting more and more exposure, even if it's just on this site. He really deserves as much respect as PTA...if not now then in the near future. He's not making smaller films as many have said...they're just different.

modage

ebeaman, have you seen this?

Zooey is the IT Heartbreaker in Entertainment Weeklys IT List.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02ebeaman, have you seen this?

Now you did it. ebeaman's computer is now all sticky.

Don't get electrical shock from licking the screen, ebeaman.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Lol, yes I have seen the beautiful picture, I almost caused a disturbance in the Ohio hotel I was at upon my discovery of it. I was very very very happy to see her get some recognition (albeit not enough)...it's about fucking time, she's better than every other young american actress you can name and so few people have heard of her. Lol, she was so unknown when I first came to this site I managed to convince at least a couple people that she was my girlfriend...when I had put her as my avatar.

I gotta say one thing, I really think she looks a lot better in ATRG than in that picture. She still looks beautiful of course (duh) but I hate hate HATE fucking HAAAAAATE makeup on beautiful girls, it's a SIN I tell you! The dress is very cool though.

One last thing, DGG really should have freaking gotten the IT auteur (sp?) thing...especially after Lisa Schwartzbaum or whatever her name is loved ATRG so much. They gave it to the guy who made Better off Tommorow or whatever.

tpfkabi

i saw George Washington and The Last Temptation of Christ on DVD in a store and i may be moved slightly because of my job, so i rented both. the fact that Hasting's had these two Criterion discs really blew my mind to begin with.

tonight i watched GW. i think it needs to sink in a bit. the tension in that bathroom scene is crazy.
how is the commentary track?
A Day with the Boys is really great too.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ernie

Quote from: bigideasi saw George Washington and The Last Temptation of Christ on DVD in a store and i may be moved slightly because of my job, so i rented both. the fact that Hasting's had these two Criterion discs really blew my mind to begin with.

tonight i watched GW. i think it needs to sink in a bit. the tension in that bathroom scene is crazy.
how is the commentary track?
A Day with the Boys is really great too.

I love the commentary track. It's just great. DGG and Paul Schneider seem really cool. You get to hear about some influences and I love to hear about them. It's really awesome to hear about DGG's meeting with the kids and how he chose them too. Hope you like it once it sinks in, I know the feeling.

Hey, I totally forgot...you still interested in the Mon Oncle dvd or did you change or your mind or did you get it from someone else? Just wondered.

Ernie

Oh my god, I just read some damn good news: The Undertow has wrapped...it is now in post production according to a June 11th IMDB update.

The bad news is it also says that it's coming out in 2004. Why so long? If it's post now, I would think they could get it out in the fall at least, like October-November 2003, right? Anybody think they'll move it up a little? That would be awesome. Either way, I hope it's not a limited release. I don't want to wait over 2 months after the NYC release date to see this one.

I missed that 24 Frame News unfortunately...I was still on the road back from Ohio. I'm going to catch the rerun tommorow. Did anybody watch it? Is it cool? Informative?

ono

Just popped George Washington into my DVD player.  I love my university library.  Back in an hour and a half-ish with impressions.

Gold Trumpet

Ebes, don't get too excited about the 24 Frame News segment, it was a very short one and not too informative or revealing about the film. My shock came from DGG's new hairdo but thats it. All in all, a 2 to 3 minute segment only saying very little.

Reason I suggest post production will take so long because DGG's mastery comes in during the editing and fully realizing how his film will be given the fact he worked on a schedule, but acts upon improv completely too.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

Plus, with smaller films like that, there usually isn't a big rush to get them into theaters. The distributor will wait till the moment is right -- witness PDL. If Undertow turns out really good and the distributor has a lot of faith in it, it could end up getting delayed all the way until next fall, so that it can premiere at Cannes in the spring.

But I'm with you -- I want to see it sooner rather than later. The combination of Green and Malick (and Jamie Bell, who I loved in Billy Elliot) sounds too good to be true.