TOP 10 2005

Started by modage, January 02, 2006, 05:14:12 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: pozer on January 26, 2006, 02:42:29 PM
Does Downfall qualify for '05?
Yes.  It goes by the theatrical release year of whatever country you live in.  It would be unfair to not have it be on your '04 list because you had no way of seeing it and then not have it on your '05 list because it played in Germany earlier if you really felt it belonged on your top ten list.

It's my number one of '05.  But The New World isn't playing here (extremely angry face)!

killafilm

1. The New World
2. Munich
3. Brokeback Mountain
4. Batman Begins/WoW
5. The Squid and the Whale
6. A History of Violence
7. Syriana
8. 2046
9. Good Night and Good Luck
10. Last Days

Honorable mention: Jarhead, Capote, Wallace and Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Corpse Bride, Elizabethtown, Grizzly Man, Layer Cake...

Didn't see: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Constant Gardner, Broken Flowers, Downfall

I didn't include Revenge of the Sith, which otherwise would have sat at the top of my list.  I feel that my fandom of all things Star Wars probably gets in the way a bit when judging it.  I'm sure it will be my most watched movie of 2005 in the years to come.  And seeing it with a large large group of friends and family (many of whom I haven't seen since) will be one of my lasting memories of 2005.

Also, I at first had WoW in my honorable mention list.  But that just wouldn't suffice.  I'm not sure about it being in the number four spot, but pretty much everything not in the top three can move around depending on my mood.

Alethia

grizzly man
the new world
the brown bunny
no direction home
the 40 year-old virgin
capote
last days
the squid and the whale
downfall
match point

Gamblour.

Goddamn I do not know when I will find the time to watch Junebug, 2046, Oldboy, Last Days, The New World, Match Point, King Kong, Syriana, or Cache. Until I do, my top ten list is something as follows:

The Squid and the Whale
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Grizzly Man
Munich
Rock School
The Aristocrats
Downfall
Brokeback Mountain
Walk the Line
Batman Begins

This year was pretty great.
WWPTAD?

pete

even though 2005 we didn't get bombarded by documentaries like 2004 with the political ones or the year before with the cute ones, I think overall this year's documentaries are much better in quality in general.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

for petes sake

top 10:

1. Broken Flowers
2. Grizzly Man
3. The New World
4. Match Point
5. March of the Penguins
6. Munich
7. King Kong
8. Syriana
9. Good Night, and Good Luck
10. Saraband

top 5 dissapointments:

1. brokeback mountain
2. star wars III
3. crash
4. me and you and everyone we know
5. sin city

following weren't considered cause i wasn't able to see them: a history of violence, junebug, the squid and the whale, walk the line, the constant gardener, downfall

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

1. Syriana
2. The Squid and the Whale
3. Brokeback Mountain
4. Walk the Line
5. Me and You and Everyone We Know
6. Serenity
7. War of the Worlds
8. The Producers
9. La Marche de l'Empereur (Morgan Freeman and children narration, grace judgement for movie compared to the movie-going experience, should just Shareaza everything from now on.)
10. Hauru no Ugoko Shiro (Howl's Moving Castle)
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

Gamblour.

Quote from: Gamblour on January 30, 2006, 09:22:14 AM
Goddamn I do not know when I will find the time to watch Junebug, 2046, Oldboy, Last Days, The New World, Match Point, King Kong, Syriana, or Cache. Until I do, my top ten list is something as follows:

The Squid and the Whale
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Grizzly Man
Munich
Rock School
The Aristocrats
Downfall
Brokeback Mountain
Walk the Line
Batman Begins

Holy crap, new addition! JUNEBUG is incredible. Bye bye Aristocrats.

The Squid and the Whale
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Grizzly Man
Munich
Rock School
Junebug
Downfall
Brokeback Mountain
Walk the Line
Batman Begins
WWPTAD?

diggler

1. Millions
2. Batman Begins
3. 40 year old virgin
4. Hustle & Flow
5. The War Within
6. Munich
7. King Kong
8. Kung Fu Hustle
9. Sin City
10. Me and You and Everyone We Know

Didn't see brokeback mountain, capote, or the new world.  how was junebug? i keep thinking of renting it then chickening out. is it worth it?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Gamblour.

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on January 30, 2006, 11:46:17 PM
Quote from: Gamblour on January 30, 2006, 09:22:14 AM

The Squid and the Whale
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Grizzly Man
Munich
Rock School
The Aristocrats
Downfall
Brokeback Mountain
Walk the Line
Batman Begins

Holy crap, new addition! JUNEBUG is incredible. Bye bye Aristocrats.

The Squid and the Whale
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Grizzly Man
Munich
Rock School
Junebug
Downfall
Brokeback Mountain
Walk the Line
Batman Begins

Damn I totally forgot Paradise Now, bye bye Brokeback Mountain:

The Squid and the Whale
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Grizzly Man
Munich
Rock School
Junebug
Downfall
Paradise Now
Walk the Line
Batman Begins
WWPTAD?

godardian

1. Cache/Hidden

2. Saraband

3. 2046

4. The Passenger (re-release)

5. Capote

6. My Summer of Love

7. Brokeback Mountain

8. Match Point

9. Me & You & Everyone We Know

10. The Assassination of Richard Nixon

Runners-up: The Squid and the Whale, Thumbsucker, Good Night, and Good Luck, Heights, Happy Endings, Last Days, Palindromes, A History of Violence, The Holy Girl, and The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Overrated: Crash and Kontroll
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

at least he hated Crash

pete

kontroll overrated?  it was barely seen by anyone.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

godardian

Quote from: pete on February 04, 2006, 12:47:38 PM
kontroll overrated?  it was barely seen by anyone.

True. . . but those who did see it (at least among acquaintances of mine and the critics I read) gave it far too much credit, I thought.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

samsong

no love for The New World, godardian?