Know Your Xixax: Donation begging and site news

Started by Xixax, December 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

Alethia

polkablues

Quote from: eward on December 20, 2019, 10:04:53 AM
Hmm, not that I'm aware of.

Whatever you did appears to have fixed it, at any rate.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilberfan

I can't remember if I've brought this up with any of you other than Jeremy before.

I have constant formatting issues with this site.  For example, if I hit ENTER twice to get a blank line and start a new paragrah, there will often be TWO lines in between paragraphs when I actually POST it.  It looks fine in the WYSIWYG editor.

Thusly. (See first attached capture.)  The only way to fix it is to toggle the view and manually go in and remove each extra line.

The other issue is I will often get a font size formatting tag inserted (unrequested)--and it's always size "2".  If I don't check it, it will post that way--rendering that text unreadable.  (I'm having trouble finding an example of that at the moment.)

I just tried posting this issue over in the simplemachine.org community, but got some 'tude about it.

Quoteno offense, but this site has nothing to do with any other sites ;) the site owner where you are having problems from would have to fix it

they probably just need to turn off the wysiwyg editor for most of the issues

as for the spacing issue, that was a modification that they did to stop people from doing multiple empty lines (you know how you see sometimes there's a line of text and then like 10 empty lines then another line of text), which they would, if they wanted to, have to edit it to allow double spacing

My memory is that Jeremy reports not seeing ANY of this behavior on his end.  I tend to use Vivaldi as my main browser (or other chrome-based), but I've seen this on Firefox as well, I believe.  And on multiple devices and OSs.  Just curious if any of you have experienced anything similar.

polkablues

I'll be honest, I've never seen any behavior like this myself. My first inclination is that the forum software doesn't play well with Vivaldi, but that doesn't explain why you've had issues with Firefox as well. Out of curiosity, let me try something:

Does the preceding show up for you as one blank line or two?

Jeremy Blackman

Alright, this is interesting. I think the root of the problem is the WYSIWYG editor. Hopefully you're not too reliant on it, because I think the solution for now would be to not use it.

I'm able to reproduce your exact issue in Chrome with the WYSIWYG editor. When I try the WYSIWYG editor in Firefox, I get the opposite issue—there are no spaces between lines.

wilberfan

Quote from: polkablues on August 27, 2020, 01:56:36 PM
I'll be honest, I've never seen any behavior like this myself. My first inclination is that the forum software doesn't play well with Vivaldi, but that doesn't explain why you've had issues with Firefox as well. Out of curiosity, let me try something:

Does the preceding show up for you as one blank line or two?

Here's how it looked when it arrived.

wilberfan

Firefox has the opposite problem?

[edit] Ah, Jeremy pointed this out, yes.  I guess for the moment I'll have to toggle off the WYSIWYG editor.  That's not too difficult--except when I trying to embed links.  I can never remember the sequence of tags.

polkablues

I don't know. I'm baffled. I can't seem to reproduce a single one of these issues on my end.

wilberfan

Because I tend to use a lot of privacy and ad-blocking extensions, I just tried Firefox in "Safe" mode.  Same result, so apparently those aren't the problem.

polkablues

We're officially beyond my level of expertise.

Anybody else reading this, let us know if you have these or similar problems. Maybe with more data points we can zero in on the specific cause.

Jeremy Blackman

It's definitely just a bug in the WYSIWYG editor. If there's a documented way to fix it, I can take a crack at it. There is probably a specific source file to edit, if someone has figured out a fix. But to complicate matters, the bug might be specific to our new theme.

Quote from: wilberfan on August 27, 2020, 02:36:21 PM
Ah, Jeremy pointed this out, yes.  I guess for the moment I'll have to toggle off the WYSIWYG editor.  That's not too difficult--except when I trying to embed links.  I can never remember the sequence of tags.

You can click the icon to get started. Then type an equals sign after the first "url" like this:

[url=][/url]

Then put the address after the =

Then put your text between the two tags.

[url=address]text[/url]

wilberfan

Is there an option to have the WYSIWYG toggled-off as default?  Not a huge deal if not.  I wonder if the 2-point font after pasting is related also.  Hope you can narrow it down.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wilberfan on August 27, 2020, 03:49:55 PM
Is there an option to have the WYSIWYG toggled-off as default?  Not a huge deal if not.  I wonder if the 2-point font after pasting is related also.  Hope you can narrow it down.

I went ahead and toggled off WYSIWYG-default in your profile. Looks like you should be able to change that and other options here:

http://xixax.com/index.php?action=profile;area=theme;u=8479

And it looks like new members have that toggled off by default. Yours must have got flipped on somehow.

wilberfan

I probably chose that option myself.  How do you go about trying to debug whatever's going on?  Or maybe it's not worth it.  I'll use this option for awhile; see how it goes.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: wilberfan on August 27, 2020, 04:23:52 PMHow do you go about trying to debug whatever's going on?

I don't know enough of the code to tinker with it from scratch. If we can find that someone has come up with a fix, though, I can try implementing it.