28 Days Later

Started by bonanzataz, February 25, 2003, 07:59:34 PM

modage

very true.  dv usually bugs the shit out of me, but this was very good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mutinyco

That was part of my argument in my article. The film was shot the same way it would've even it had been 35mm. What you had was a beautiful degraded image.

Understand, it's only in the last decade or so because of TV, and especially digital video, that we've had these sparkling clean images. Most of that is the influence of videos and commercials. But if you go back through history, a lot of films preferred a very grainy aesthetic. In modern times, I'd say Eyes Wide Shut is the most influencial. Everybody was complaining when it came out. They weren't used to grain.

It's quite a nice effect.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Sleuth

I already said that if you wore red you get special promo stuff like stickers and dog tags
I like to hug dogs

Sleuth

I'm so pissed off at you right now
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiHow the hell is Pubrick?
goin to bed.

"And u know this, man!"
under the paving stones.

Jake_82

This was a real treat... there aren't too many good horror flicks out there these days, and this one was great. Anyone know what DV camera it was shot on?
your reality is at the end of your dream

Ghostboy

DavTMcGowan

Danny Boyle...auteur?

I think this was a great step in that direction.  Once you get past the b-movie cliche manifestation of the film, it's got a great social commentary and a very coherent structure.  A longer explanation might come soon, just testing the waters.

BTW... I don't know why everyone's complaining about the ending, the ending was fantastic.  It's the beginning that's problematic.  Should've opened subjectively. Show us the main character's wonderful family life before the accident (since family is a theme), show the accident, then cut to "28 days later..."  Perfect.  Why spell out for the audience the cause of the epidemic.  It would work as a much better social commentary if this rage just sprang up overnight in the eyes of the main character.  Just my opinion.

Sleuth

Is family really the main theme though?  I see it more as human nature VS "sub-human" nature
I like to hug dogs

DavTMcGowan

Main theme?? What does that mean.  The best movies have many equally important themes.  I think it is telling that family is the source of salvation for our three main characters.  Obviously this main character had a wonderful family before the epidemic, just thought it should be emphasized a bit more to juxtapose the individual isolation that results from rage (i.e. black chicks willingness to kill ANYONE infected in a heartbeat to save her own ass, which she does early on, with that other dude)

OK, only seen it once and too lazy to go to IMDB to look up names.  Don't discount my opinion just because i said "black chick" and "that other dude"  Thanks.   :lol:

Sleuth

Well, I was saying that I think the family theme is sort of a subdivision of the nature theme.  But maybe I have it all wrong

and by the way, their names were Selena and Mark you racist feminist
I like to hug dogs

DavTMcGowan

sorry bout the double post

Beyond that, I was humbly suggesting that the beginning would be more effective if it was subjective.  The family recommendation was just an afterthought.  Why do we need to see the chimps?  What purpose do they serve other than providing a "nice neat explanation" for the people who like their movies perfectly wrapped.  

(I just got into Lynch, big time.  So obviously I'm just hugely in favor of subjective movies.)

Hey, racist feminists are people too.  Don't hate.

The racist part is off.  The feminist part is way off  

:-D

Sleuth

SPLOIURLRLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the chimps are necessary because you see the science view to study the chimps and the activists' view to save them from the cruel captivity.  Captivity shows up again with Mailer (you might know him as Black Army Zombie) and the quarantine of England.
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

MT TAKE---------------

man this movie is great gimmme some good visuals, story, acting, score/soundtrack, etc(production design etc,........) and i more than likely like your film ...Boyle did this for me i am generaly a fan of all his films EXcept Life lesssssss.......  but the beach and 28 days later made up for that.. loved the deserted part through London w/music  the most they could have extended that  for much longer and i would not have been bored or thought  it was TOOOOOOOO much.  (It's just something about being alone in a huge city thats cool on  film I.E. Vanilla Sky & devils advocate)    ..I really though this wasn't B-filmish  just a diferent take on  epidemic/zombie/WHAT-HAVE-YOU  type of film   D. Boyle has got a style that i think  keeps viewer interested and  glued  (trainspotting, the beach and Shallow grave ) fit the bill for that....VISUALL Bliss IMO -aronofsky also merits   admiration from me for visual reasons like boyle.....        The only thing that kind of  seeemmmed odd to me is that  the film ends like the beach man vs man  instead of   zombie/"non HUMAN thinking"   VS. man

INTERESTing     don't wish to blabber so i will end..    But NONEtheLESS  GREAT film  Can't wait to own on DVD..

DavTMcGowan

I really didn't see science as a big part of the film.  After all, the epidemic is "Rage".  i think this is more of a social commentary ala this insightful article:

Quote from: mutinycoI interviewed the producer and writer of 28 Days Later. Go to:

http://www.movienavigator.org/digitalrage.htm

After all, the scientists weren't really exposing the primates to scientific research, they were just making the monkeys watch footage of modern society at its worst, fostering rage.  It's more of a study in the effects of modern culture more than it is a study of modern scientific technology.  Even though technology has caused many of the problems, I still think Rage is the real problem here.  The violence that is so deeply rooted in society; from the national level, to the individual level (i.e. Fight Club)
This is the epidemic that the attitudes fostered by films like Fight Club will eventually cause.

Anyway, I just love on how many levels this movie works.  You can take anyone to see this movie and they'll love it.  Non-film-maniacs will love it because it's a great innovation on an old genre.  Film lovers can sit there and love the aesthetics and teh many layers of meaning.  Truly a film for everyone, snobs and normals alike.