Inglourious Basterds [sic]

Started by brockly, May 20, 2003, 06:05:39 AM

diggler

somewhere out there mike myers is suggesting that he play the general as scottish instead of british.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

pete

I think he just misses the good ol' days of SNL.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Pegg Not a Bastard
Hot Fuzz star reteaming with Nick Frost instead.

Hot Fuzz and Star Trek star Simon Pegg will not be appearing in Quentin Tarantino's World War II movie Inglorious Bastards after all. He was to have played a British lieutenant in the film.

Ain't It Cool pointed out a blog entry at Pegg's MySpace page where the funnyman actor disclosed that he had to drop out of Inglorious Bastards "due to insurmountable scheduling difficulties. We really tried to make it work but in the end, it just was not possible without severe ramifications elsewhere."

Pegg later posted some better news regarding Paul -- his reunion project with Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead co-star Nick Frost -- where he revealed that Superbad helmer Greg Mottola will direct the comedy. Pegg previously told IGN that Paul is "a road movie set in America about two British comic book geeks that get into an adventure across America."

Inglorious Bastards, starring Brad Pitt, begins filming this October in Germany.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Fassbender in talks for 'Bastards'
German actor eyes role in Tarantino film
Source: Variety

Teutonic thesp Michael Fassbender is in final negotiations to join the cast of Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorious Bastards."

Simon Pegg had been in talks for the role (Lt. Archie Hicox), but was forced to ankle after what he described on his website as "insurmountable scheduling difficulties."

Brad Pitt has signed on for the lead role as a Tennessee hillbilly who assembles a team of eight Jewish-American soldiers to take on the Nazis. Also on board are Mike Myers and Eli Roth. Tarantino is courting Nastassja Kinski, David Krumholtz and B.J. Novak.

Role would arguably be the highest-profile yet for Fassbender, who has begun to draw comparisons to Daniel Day-Lewis for his intense dedication to his work. Thesp emaciated himself to play Sands in the latter stages of his hunger strike.

Fassbender is also attached to play the iconic role of Heathcliff in "Wuthering Heights."

That project, however, has been hit by high-profile departures.

Helmer John Maybury ankled recently after creative disagreements over the script. Natalie Portman, who had been set to play Heathcliff's ill-fated lover Cathy, left the project in May because of a scheduling clash. Aussie thesp Abbie Cornish has since taken over that role.

Pic producer, U.K.-based Ecosse Films, is seeking a new helmer and hopes to make an announcement in the coming weeks.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Kruger, Waltz join Tarantino film
'Inglorious Bastards' also stars Pitt, Myers
Source: Variety

"Inglorious Bastards" writer-director Quentin Tarantino has set thesps Diane Kruger, Christoph Waltz and Paul Rust in the Weinstein Co./Universal drama.

Pic begins production Oct. 13 in Germany.

The trio join Brad Pitt, Eli Roth, Mike Myers, Michael Fassbender, B.J. Novak and Samm Levine.

Kruger ("National Treasure") plays German actress Bridget Von Hammersmark, who figures prominently in a plot to sabotage the Nazis. It is a role for which Nastassja Kinski was first mentioned.

Waltz, who is best known in Germany for his television work, has landed the role of Col. Hans Landa, who is the primary antagonist in the drama.

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

BJ Novak in a war movie........this seems odd to me, but then again, I have not read the script and have no idea of what type of character he's playing.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ravi

Forget BJ Novak, what about Samm Levine in a war film?

72teeth

Myers anyone? this whole cast is bananas...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

tpfkabi

Quote from: 72teeth on September 01, 2008, 10:39:17 PM
Myers anyone? this whole cast is bananas...

oh wait, i was thinking he turned it down.
:ponder:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

diggler

i think novak is perfect for the role he's supposedly playing... although i think levine can play the same character.  i liked krumholtz more in the role, but levine is pretty inspired casting. 

christoph waltz is flawless.  exactly how i pictured landa
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

modage

QT must be a Freaks & Geeks fan because Krumholtz was the elder Schweiber, while Levine the younger.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

'Bastards' portrayals draw fire in Germany
Quentin Tarantino's script leaks, sparks controversy
Source: Hollywood Reporter

BERLIN -- Seems you can't even be nasty to Nazis anymore.

A leaked script of Quentin Tarantino's World War II drama "Inglorious Bastards" already is stirring up controversy for scenes of vengeful Americans bashing, scalping, shooting and strangling German soldiers.

What began as an Internet murmur here went mainstream with a recent article by Tobias Kneibe, film editor of the Suddeutsche Zeitung, who predicted the project could have an explosive effect similar to that of Tom Cruise's "Valkyrie," which has been savaged in the German media even though it won't hit theaters until 2009.

"All the German historians and critics who were left gasping for breath by Tom Cruise and his worthy attempts will be so shocked by 'Inglorious Bastards' that they will savage it on the spot," Kniebe wrote.

Even though he personally likes the script, Kneibe saidthat "the collision between Tarantino-style pop culture with the themes of the Holocaust and Jewish revenge (the 'Bastards' of the film are Jewish-American Nazi hunters) is unprecedented in Germany and its results are completely unpredictable."

More potential fuel for the fire: Tarantino's pulp fiction version of German history will almost certainly get German state financing. Germany's DFFF film fund gives automatic tax breaks for local shoots and "Bastards" is set to shoot almost entirely in Studio Babelsberg outside Berlin.

"I don't see how it should not be eligible for DFFF money," said Kirsten Niehuus, director of the Berlin-Brandenburg regional film fund.

Producers the Weinstein Co. declined comment but sources near the shoot said the controversy has had no effect on Tarantino or the German talent connected to the film, which includes Til Schweiger, Daniel Bruhl, Christoph Waltz and Diane Kruger.

"Most in the German industry love it that Tarantino's in Berlin," one insider said. "They love it that this kind of popcorn film is getting made here."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Samuel L. Jackson Says "Oui" To Tarantino's "Inglorious" Possibility
Published by Larry Carroll ; MTV

"Pulp Fiction" shot him to superstardom, he had a hilarious-but-intense role in "Jackie Brown," and eagle-eyed fans might have even noticed Samuel J. Jackson behind the piano in a brief "Kill Bill" cameo. So now that Quentin Tarantino has his much-hyped script for "Inglorious Bastards" completed, and half the world has seemingly read it, will he be playing the role of African-American role?

"I called him to find out if I had to learn French or not!" Jackson laughed when we asked him this week, insisting that he'd love to reteam with QT once again. "Because the only black person in the script spoke French."

In the Tarantino script, the character of Marcel is a French movie theater projectionist who works for the film's beautiful young female lead Shosannna. If SLJ was to take on the part, he'd have the tall order of reciting pretty much every line of his dialogue in the language of love.

He said, "so do you know any black French actors?" I said, "what the f***?!? Yeah, me!" I gave him the name of some guys. So yeah we had a small conversation about it. We'll see what happens. I thought the script was a lot of fun.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Mike Myers 'Thrilled' To Work With Quentin Tarantino, Play A British General In 'Inglorious Bastards'
'He has such a complete vision of how he wants it to go,' Myers says of director.
Source: MTV

HOLLYWOOD — John Travolta. Pam Grier. Daryl Hannah. Robert Forster.

Ever since Quentin Tarantino burst onto the Hollywood scene, he has taken great pride in defiantly dusting off Hollywood talents in a career slump and making moviegoers remember why we fell in love with them in the first place. When he recently announced Mike Myers as one of the stars of his next film, "Inglorious Bastards," eyebrows were once again raised. Although the funnyman is still an A-lister, he needs a career makeover after the recent failure of "The Love Guru," and Tarantino could be just the man to give it to him.

Now, Myers is speaking about the role for the first time, and while discussing the sharp left turn with MTV News, he could hardly contain his boyish giddiness.

"I can't believe I got the call, to be honest with you," marveled Myers, who is sporting a shorter, died-black hairdo and eyeglasses these days. "It's one of those unbelievable, magical calls that you get."

Tarantino's fifth proper film (following the instant classics "Reservoir Dogs," "Pulp Fiction," "Jackie Brown" and "Kill Bill" parts one and two) will finally bring to life the now-mythical script that he's been working on since the '90s. Co-starring Brad Pitt , Eli Roth and "National Treasure" star Diane Kruger, "Inglorious Bastards" tells the dual stories of prisoners-turned-soldiers eager to strike a blow against their Nazi captors and a young Jewish woman who also holds a grudge against the same Nazis.

"I get to play a British general," Myers said of Ed Fenech, a military mastermind who devises the plan to take on the Nazi soldiers. "I get to be in a World War II movie, which has been my goal since I think I was, like, 6 years old. And I get to play one of those brainiac British generals."

At one point, Tarantino had sought out Adam Sandler for the Fenech role. The director has described the flick as his "bunch-of-guys-on-a-mission film," and such movies have a tradition of sometimes casting comedic actors like Bob Newhart ("Hell Is for Heroes") or Don Rickles ("Kelly's Heroes") in roles that play against type. Myers, a big fan of old movies and comedians dating back to the silent era, is flattered by such comparisons.

"I am so thrilled," remarked the comedian, who was in Hollywood to attend the AFI Night at the Movies event to introduce his original Austin Powers film as one of the dozen classics being screened. "I have spoken [with Tarantino]. Our conversations are supposed to be, like, 20-minute check-ins, and we end up speaking for three hours just about different films that we love."

Filming is due to begin this month, with plans to have it ready for the Cannes Film Festival in May and a theatrical release in the months to follow. An image was recently leaked on the Web of a key location for the film's German shoot, and Myers and Tarantino have been spending the last several weeks planning out the latest, most dramatic addition to his chameleon-esque stable of characters (Austin Powers, Wayne Campbell, the guru Pitka).

"Yeah, there is a lot of makeup," Myers revealed. "[Tarantino] is amazing. He has such a complete vision of how he wants it to go. I feel like I am a tube of paint in his painting, and it is a very beautiful feeling."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Inglourious Basterds Commences Principal Photography
Source: The Weinstein Company, Universal Pictures

Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds (sic) began principal photography last week on location in Germany. The ensemble cast of Inglourious Basterds includes Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, Mélanie Laurent, Christoph Waltz, Daniel Brühl, Eli Roth, Samm Levine, B.J. Novak, Til Schweiger, Gedeon Burkhard, Paul Rust, Michael Bacall, Omar Doom, Sylvester Groth, Julie Dreyfus, Jacky Ido, August Diehl, Martin Wuttke, Richard Sammel, Christian Berkel, Sönke Möhring, Michael Fassbender, Mike Myers, Rod Taylor, Denis Menochet and Cloris Leachman.

Inglourious Basterds reunites Tarantino with Academy Award-nominated editor Sally Menke, Academy Award-winning director of photography Bob Richardson, and production designer David Wasco. Joining Tarantino for the first time is Academy Award-nominated costume designer Anna Sheppard.

Academy Award-nominee Lawrence Bender is producing Inglourious Basterds. Erica Steinberg and Lloyd Phillips, and Bob and Harvey Weinstein are the film's executive producers. The co-producers are Charlie Woebcken, Christoph Fisser and Henning Molfenter. Pilar Savone is the associate producer.

The Weinstein Company and Universal Pictures, through its newly formed International Studio, are co-financing and co-presenting the film with TWC handling domestic distribution and Universal handling international distribution. The two companies are partners on the project.

Zehnte Babelsberg Film, a subsidiary of Studio Babelsberg AG, is producing Inglourious Basterds. The film will shoot at Studio Babelsberg as well as in Berlin, Saxony and Paris.

Inglourious Basterds begins in German-occupied France, where Shosanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent) witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz). Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris, where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema.

Elsewhere in Europe, Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) organizes a group of Jewish soldiers to engage in targeted acts of retribution. Known to their enemy as "The Basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) on a mission to take down the leaders of The Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquee, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own...

Inglourious Basterds will be released worldwide in 2009.

Skeleton FilmWorks