Ask The Gold Trumpet

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 30, 2003, 07:35:07 PM

aclockworkjj

Quote from: NEON MERCURY3.0  the lost boys
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet3.0 - Missed.
that's a shame...that movie is great.  Probably the best of the "cor{e}y's" in my opinion.  The ode to Jim Morrison is great....the soundtrack is a cracked up, but still great.  Kiefer, Patrick....go figure.  Star (Jamie Gets or something, right?) is kinda sexy at times too...

GT....what's yer opinion on cigarette smoking in bars?...nay or ney?

Pedro

Quote from: ©badcan't u take this to a pm?
They could, but I sorta like it when GT offends me...

Gold Trumpet

I don't see the problem with its current status. At best, it gets two replies a day now. How innocent is that? Like any other thread with little interest for someone, its very easy to skip over when looking at a page of many threads.

And some people do read this. Pedro, the very best example of disagreeing with me and thinking I'm still cool, seems to enjoy the thread. Most people wanna kill me.  I must give him props. I figure two or three other people out there exist.

and Clockwork......Yay for sure. A health nut going to a bar for clear air is as logical as a gay couple going to Alabama for better human rights. You either are into the bar atmosphere or you're not. You know what you're getting though when you go. Also, second hand smoke CAN'T give you cancer. Watch Penn and Teller's "Bull" for that info.

~rougerum

aclockworkjj

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetHow innocent is that?
exactly man...carry on.  

Pass over it if you don't like it.

ps.
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet......Yay for sure.
yer a good man.

©brad

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
And some people do read this. Pedro, the very best example of disagreeing with me and thinking I'm still cool, seems to enjoy the thread. Most people wanna kill me.  I must give him props. I figure two or three other people out there exist.
~rougerum

no one wants to kill u.....yet.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ©badcan't u take this to a pm?

.. i thought abouthat but . ..from reading  many of GT's posts in the past alot of films he disses I like and I find him very opinionated and  he likes to discuss films  so I just ask him about random films that i like and see/read his opinions on them...and some of his critiques on certian films that I mention have/has changed or re-sparked my feelings for the films in question..

And when GT's replies its NO BS and very straightforward......

I apologize if this is a waste of space but I think/hope  some poeple will find it interesting.......

5 more:

1.0  Three Kings
2.0  The Thin Red Line
3.0  Big
4.0  Wall Street
5.0  The Wizard of Oz

SHAFTR

L'Avventura
Rocco and his Brothers
American Splendor
Contempt
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

Neon:
1.0 - The moral center of drama in this movie ultimately is that these soldiers who are looting for their own good come to an understanding of the plight of the Iraqi citizens they meet and help them to the cost of the gold they stole. To be able to describe the movie as just that is impossible. The actual center of the film is filmmaking adventure on hand and constant innovation of everything filmmaker. Defenders of the movie cite that it may be the only movie (sorry Mike Nichols) to capture the spirit of the novel Catch 22. Roger Ebert was the main example. Though I do agree with this in a way, Catch 22 was driven by the idea it was ultimately showing all view points of WWII and the style drove the eccentrities of that. The style here is just for style. Nothing really drives it. To say it speaks for our times in film land and quick cutting, that would just rationalize. Besides the climate being Gulf War, it speaks for nothing significant really in our times. The heist and understanding of human suffering is both general stuff. Even M.A.S.H spoke on satire of war without this style and succeeded well for the most part. The film doesn't explore satire in our times of war enough for it to be called specifically one and its use of filmmaking understood.  The film isn't the masterpiece it is said to be. I tried to respond to on that level, but it is a fun ride in which to watch and George Clooney, as usual, provides a cool confidence no one today can grab.

2.0 - I'll speak on The Thin Red Line a lil later. I've only seen it once and that was a few years ago. I want to watch it again.

3.0 - Tom Hanks was the right guy for it. During his early years, his performances screamed youth trapped in man's body and completey uncomfortable. In all his other movies ( 1980s comedies) he seemed a bit off in that sense, but this movie he is quite right for obvious reasons. The movie does charm, involve and ultimately move us so it does its purpose. The romance between Hanks and the lady does suffer in believability. Hanks is so appealing, but not really as a mutual love interest for her; more just in a cute and charming sort of way. I guess the script in exploring him as man felt it had to touch on that because of how different it was from his life as a kid. It could have dug for better ways to separate Hanks from his kid friend. All in all, an enjoyable movie that still is fun to watch. The dance scene on the large toy piano in the toy store achieves dance better than any dance movie now. Unlike those, its characters charm you. That was one of the main appeals of the great old dance movies.

4.0 - Never seen it. Should have. Stone is usually a requirement but just got to it.

5.0 - You either love it or you don't. I don't. The appeal of charm just isn't there for me. I just don't care about these actors dressed up in costumes and giving children's stories to how bad their life is. I wasn't brought up on this movie (people who love it usually are) and I only discovered it when in late teens and skeptical as ever. I love the Astaire and Rogers musicals, but this movie never hooked me. Its so glorified children's fantasy I really never got into it. Unless you grew up with it, I don't see much charm to it. At least with the Astaire and Rogers musicals, the stories can be identified by adults and appreciated by kids with its comedy. This movie is just kid comedy in all its dated form.

Shaftr: Sad to say, I've only seen L'Avventura of the ones you mentioned. Almost caught American Splendor over the weekend but was too sick to go see it or even want to.

L'Avventura may the one of the best examples of a movie absorded in its own world. The Apu Trilogy also comes to mind, but that movie doesn't have the depth of center in creating a new film grammar that L'Avventura does. The Apu Trilogy seems there more or less to capture a world and record it. The film grammar is set up for the film to be understood or felt as if observing a painting. Everything that is shown is for a specific reason. The movie doesn't have a general story with general approach and use this idea of film grammar as an excuse for its greatness. This movie is for the idea of film grammar alone. Looking at is as a painting, a scene can be felt and understood in so many ways. One example is the final scene, with Claudia discovering her flame Sandro has cheated on her in the middle of their own fling. She runs off and he runs after her. He finds her sitting on a bench and in the shot, in the far off distance, is a dorment volcano. Other object in the shot is a tree which has its leaves blowing from wind but no other signs of wind exist. The rest is a destitude environment. To observe the movie on its language, this scene would be understood in relating all the possible objects to the situation of the characters at hand. With the dorment volcano, a possible explosion happening between the couple. The blowing of the leaves restlessness in the couple at this time. Desititution in the environment could be the couple's depth as a couple.

This movie is so grand in achieving something new and using all the resources of a film for something new and continually intriguing it may be the very best film I've ever seen. Not favorite or anything else, but maybe the best in pure achievement.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

You haven't posted anything in the Outkast thread yet...have you given the new album a listen yet?

Gold Trumpet

Ah yes. I definitely have listened to the album. well, at least dre's disc. Haven't got to Big Boi's yet that much. Let's just say Dre achieves genius for most of it and I'm still trying to get off the initial kick of hearing it even if listening to it for a few weeks straight. I'm hoping soon to comment and analyze the whole thing on that thread. Expect me to drag myself to Big Boi sometime before the end of the decade. Not that I dislike Big Boi, but Dre does indeed something wonderful.

General complaint, though: Dre, like most hip hop artists trying to be soulful, tends to talk too much about how they are different from general hip hop instead of showing it. They should leave classification up to us. They are spending too much time on acting as critics without much to back it up. Dre, though, for most of the album, does back it up.

~rougerum

SHAFTR

L'Avventura may the one of the best examples of a movie absorded in its own world. The Apu Trilogy also comes to mind, but that movie doesn't have the depth of center in creating a new film grammar that L'Avventura does. The Apu Trilogy seems there more or less to capture a world and record it. The film grammar is set up for the film to be understood or felt as if observing a painting. Everything that is shown is for a specific reason. The movie doesn't have a general story with general approach and use this idea of film grammar as an excuse for its greatness. This movie is for the idea of film grammar alone. Looking at is as a painting, a scene can be felt and understood in so many ways. One example is the final scene, with Claudia discovering her flame Sandro has cheated on her in the middle of their own fling. She runs off and he runs after her. He finds her sitting on a bench and in the shot, in the far off distance, is a dorment volcano. Other object in the shot is a tree which has its leaves blowing from wind but no other signs of wind exist. The rest is a destitude environment. To observe the movie on its language, this scene would be understood in relating all the possible objects to the situation of the characters at hand. With the dorment volcano, a possible explosion happening between the couple. The blowing of the leaves restlessness in the couple at this time. Desititution in the environment could be the couple's depth as a couple.

This movie is so grand in achieving something new and using all the resources of a film for something new and continually intriguing it may be the very best film I've ever seen. Not favorite or anything else, but maybe the best in pure achievement.

~rougerum

The film's style is very similiar to Sleeping Beauty, the disney animation.  The background is set up very specifically and everything is there for a reason; the actors just act with the landscape in the background; but really the movie is about the landscape.  This might not make sense, but it does in my head.

Did you notice the slight nipple slip when Claudia discovers Sandro with that girl, the girls nipple shows.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTRDid you notice the slight nipple slip when Claudia discovers Sandro with that girl, the girls nipple shows.

Shit. I missed it. My favorite Antonioni nipple tease came in La Notte with Jeanne Moreau in the bathtub. When I first saw it I was infatuated with her but hadn't seen many of her movies so a nipple peak was a major breathrough. I've seen more of her films and know more about her career and found this is nothing unusual for her at all. Still, the way it is shot, how we shouldn't be seeing it is all the more enticing.

Interesting idea on The Sleeping Beauty reference. I've never seen it.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

Sleeping Beauty kicks ass. Wonderful use of the 2:35:1 ratio, which if I'm correct wasn't used again in animation until that lame horse movie from Dreamworks.

SHAFTR

Interesting idea on The Sleeping Beauty reference. I've never seen it.

~rougerum

you haven't seen Sleeping Beauty?  It is great, animation is amazing; it is very undisney like considering the main characters rarely speak (infact not at all the last half of the movie).  I haven't see La Notte; I havn'et seen anyother Anonioni films actually; Red Desert is probably next.

NEON MERCURY

good job on three kings..

1.0  training day
2.0  one flew over the cuckoo's nest
3.0  Wonder boys
4.0  straw Doogs
5.0  the score