The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

polkablues

Quote from: Sleepless on June 07, 2013, 03:45:56 PM
Never watched the show, so I don't know who this is or if she's a main character or what:

'Walking Dead' Actress Arrested in Ricin Letters Sent to Obama, Bloomberg

Actress Shannon Richardson, who has appeared on "The Walking Dead" and "Vampire Diaries," was arrested Friday afternoon in connection with ricin-laced letters sent to President Obama and New York mayor Michael Bloomberg.

NBC News first reported the arrest.

News comes two weeks after Richardson had reached out to authorities claiming her husband, Nathan Richardson, had sent the letters. Nathan, an army veteran, has since been questioned by the FBI.

Shannon recently contacted authorities claiming she had found suspicious materials in her refrigerator that could be connected to the letters but investigators are now saying she was the one who sent the letters.

"You will have to kill me and my family before you get my guns," the message sent to Bloomberg read, according to NBC New York. "Anyone who wants to come to my house will get shot in the face. The right to bear arms is my constitutional God given right and I will exercise that right till the day I die."

Richardson is currently at federal court in Texas awaiting arraignment.

Source: Variety

"Walking Dead Actress" is a little misleading. Apparently she was a zombie extra once.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

So I just finished watching the entire 3 seasons - watched it all in about a month, which for a show like this makes a big difference as you get to see how the story evolves and the characters develop without forgetting the details from season to season.

SPOILERS

- As entertaining as this show is, and the plot of Woodbury vs. Prison worked well, I don't understand how the bigger picture isn't explored better. Did they give up looking for answers or for the possibility that there is something else out there? They've been in the same area for over a year now. The prison, Woodbury, the farm, their hometown is all very close together.

- Thanks for finally killing Andrea. What a terrible, stupid character. Talk about someone who doesn't learn, doesn't get it, doesn't evolve and constantly makes the wrong judgement. With all the Lost comparisons out there, makes me think they wanted to make her be their "Kate", but she sucks and she is not interesting at all.

- Speaking of Lost, I think exploring the history of the characters would have been a great element to explain how they react under these circumstances now. It's been three seasons and we don't know much about Glenn other than he used to deliver pizzas. We don't know much about Rick either. If there is anything Lost did very well, is highlight that the important experiences in your life make you who you are today and help you make decisions when you're put in shitty situations.

- I liked Season2 more than most people I guess. It still explored the basic elements of the show and how they had to adapt to this new world. It was all about survival from the walkers instead of some nutcase. Speaking of the nutcase, the Governor makes me think of the villain from a movie The Postman, and that is not a good thing.

- Shane was also the best character, even though they took him over the edge too quickly. The episode when he kills Otis was brilliant.

- Hope Season 4 goes back into trying to find some answers and maybe a new setting. Would love to see what is happening in the big cities. Or by the coast. I had heard that Darabont had ideas to make standalone episodes that explored other areas of the world. Would be cool if they actually did that. They had the farm, now the prison, we all know that shouldn't last or it would be boring as hell.

MacGuffin

'Walking Dead' spin-off series is officially in the works
by Dalton Ross | EW

AMC has announced that it is developing a companion series for The Walking Dead that is targeted to make it on air in 2015. Current Walking Dead executive producers Robert Kirkman (who also creatred the comic book on which the show is based), Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert will also work on the new series.

"After 10 years of writing the comic book series and being so close to the debut of our fourth, and in my opinion, best season of the TV series, I couldn't be more thrilled about getting the chance to create a new corner of The Walking Dead universe," said Kirkman in an announcement by AMC, who will also produce the series.. "The opportunity to make a show that isn't tethered by the events of the comic book, and is truly a blank page, has set my creativity racing."

Charlie Collier, AMC's president and general manager, added: "Building on the success of the most popular show on television for adults 18-49 is literally a no-brainer. We look forward to working with Robert, Gale and Dave again as we develop an entirely new story and cast of characters. It's a big world and we can't wait to give fans another unforgettable view of the zombie apocalypse."

No word yet on if the series will feature any characters and events from the comic book or introduce completely new story lines, as Kirkman's quote seems to suggest. The Walking Dead returns with season 4 on October 13.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mel

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 16, 2013, 02:48:27 PM
Charlie Collier, AMC's president and general manager, added: "Building on the success of the most popular show on television for adults 18-49 is literally a no-brainer. We look forward to working with Robert, Gale and Dave again as we develop an entirely new story and cast of characters. It's a big world and we can't wait to give fans another unforgettable view of the zombie apocalypse.

Walking Dead: Miami... another TV franchise?

As for quality of the show, I will take season 2 over season 3 any day.

Some episodes of season 2 were placeholders (especially early ones), but at least ended with cliffhanger or moved narrative a bit. It got better in second part and we got nice buildup towards finale, which worked for me.

Season 3 is quite the opposite, started great and then second part dragged forever till weak finale. Placeholders were just awful: episode, were Rick finds his old pal was edited very badly (photo searching part had some serious issues - budget problems?).

Still I would say that season 2 had some boring parts, yet lowest parts weren't as bad as in season 3. Moreover highest point in season 2 was never reached by season 3. Overall story about farm was much more solid than prison story.

btw. I'm not big fan of TWD - dropped it after season 1 and picked it up again without any expectation, just to kill boredom. I probably could argue that it is the weakest series broadcasted by AMC (mind that I hate "The Killing").
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Mel

'The Walking Dead' Season 4 Premiere is Highest Rated Episode Ever With 16.1 Million Viewers
via TV by the Numbers

New York, NY – October 14, 2013 – AMC's The Walking Dead returned last night for its fourth season, delivering the highest ratings of any episode in series history. The season four premiere was watched by 16.1 million total viewers and 10.4 million adults aged 18-49. Last night's ratings confirm The Walking Dead continues to be the #1 show on all of television among the coveted 18-49 demographic. 2013/14 season to date, last night's premiere ranks as the #1 telecast in adults 18-49, outperforming all programs including primetime NFL football. With time-shifted playback, last night's premiere should exceed 20 million viewers.

"Sincere thanks to the fans, who have welcomed The Walking Dead back for its fourth season with the highest-rated episode in the show's history," said AMC President Charlie Collier. "We could not be more proud of this show and everyone on both sides of the camera who work so hard to give life to this story of character, leadership and survival. It starts with series creator, writer and executive producer Robert Kirkman, show runner and executive producer Scott Gimple and the director of last night's episode (and the man behind the make-up) executive producer Greg Nicotero, their fellow executive producers and an extraordinary cast and crew who are giving their all every day. So clearly, thanks to them, the dead have never been more alive."

The previous record for an episode of The Walking Dead was 12.4 million total viewers and 8.1 million viewers 18-49 for the season three finale.

Jeremy Blackman

It was a good episode. I feel like the actors from The Wire have reached critical mass in their distractingness, but maybe I'll get over that. Crazy lady was a bit predictable, and there was a little too much "be safe out there / don't go out there / I don't want to go out there" talk, but otherwise things are looking good.

The prison is surprisingly interesting now, which I did not expect. I still feel like they will need a change of scenery soon, but I guess the farm is helping. (Do they really go scavenging for hay?)

I loved the ceiling gag. Also loved Rick's 3 questions.

It looks like they may never return to the absurd level of bickering over nothing that almost swallowed up the first two seasons, and that is something I will continue to celebrate. Here's to another wonderfully dark season, with 100% less Andrea. Thank God.

Brando

If I remember correctly, Last season's showrunner was fired midseason so this season would have a new showrunner. There's a couple of things I've noticed. The first being it is a hundred times gorier than it's ever been. The show now seems to go out of if it's way to show as much gore as possible.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 17, 2013, 12:17:18 AM
I loved the ceiling gag.

I did too. The show never had memorable visuals but I'll remember the zombie hanging from the ceiling from it's intestines.

It's too early for me to think this and I could be proven wrong but there seems to be a shift in approach to the show. While ones could argue and would be correct about the short comings and failures of the show, the approach had always been in line with the new cable dramas. In this last episode, I got the impression that the approach to the show has shifted to the standard/generic cable drama like a Falling Skies. I hope I'm proven wrong.

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Mel

Quote from: Brando on October 21, 2013, 01:16:40 PM
It's too early for me to think this and I could be proven wrong but there seems to be a shift in approach to the show. While ones could argue and would be correct about the short comings and failures of the show, the approach had always been in line with the new cable dramas. In this last episode, I got the impression that the approach to the show has shifted to the standard/generic cable drama like a Falling Skies. I hope I'm proven wrong.

You mean going into more episodic procedure? Long-term story arcs were never strong point of TWD. Every season so far was riddled with fillers - distribution of story was very uneven. Nothing new here.

Moreover it seems to me we will get another season with Big Bad Villain or two of them (rats seems like inside job and not dealings of Governor). More of old than anything, yet it is too soon to say for sure.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 17, 2013, 12:17:18 AM
Here's to another wonderfully dark season, with 100% less Andrea. Thank God.

Two female roles were upgrade to main characters - there is still "hope" they will end up with something annoying.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm pinching myself. This might be the most promising season. There's no cheese, no super annoying character, no drawn-out ridiculousness of any kind (so far). It's just a lot of delicious bleakness, which is working for me.

They've come a long way since Season 2, when everyone was bickering over absolutely nothing like eighth graders, and refused to work together in any way like a bunch of libertarian sociopaths. Now the characters actually behave like semi-rational human beings with actual motivations. Even Michonne has some complex emotional stuff bubbling to the surface, whatever that will turn out to be. And Carol is interesting... what?

I'm even starting to downgrade Season 3 by contrast. Maybe this is premature, and maybe I'm still handicapping the show, but I like where it's going.

It's definitely not a show I would ever binge watch, but a weekly dose of humorless post-apocalyptic frontier life is just about right.

Brando

Quote from: Mel on October 21, 2013, 06:26:09 PM
Quote from: Brando on October 21, 2013, 01:16:40 PM

You mean going into more episodic procedure? Long-term story arcs were never strong point of TWD. Every season so far was riddled with fillers - distribution of story was very uneven. Nothing new here.

The outcome/reasons behind the rats will determine a lot for me. Is someone in the prison feeding the zombies? If so, then TWD has dealt with people treating the zombies as alive multiple times. And will it come off as just a plot conflict the writers thought up and then forced a character's motivation into that action in an uninspired way. That's something they would do in a lesser show.

Also, I thought Cutty bringing flowers to find her dead wasn't in the right tone for the show. His demeanor was out of character. He's in a zombie apocalypse, there is a deadly disease sweeping the prison and he's on his way to visit his sick girlfriend yet he's acting like it's the happiest day of his life. I'm not expecting a lot of good things from all the focus on the kids.

Again, I could be proven wrong. The success or failure for me will depend on how they move forward with the rats.

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Mel

Lots of characters with death wish in this episode: Tyreese, Karen, Hershel. I could understand old man, not so much the rest (they didn't wait long to start acting irrational).

It looks like infection is meant to kill most of Woodbury survivors - cleaning after season 3 finale.

Car scene was kinda interesting - redneck and three black people. Will writers play with this?

i watched it again, and i believe that last nights episode is one of the best, and definitely my favorite, of the series.
there was a lot going on there, but in a fluid way that wasnt distracting.
some amazing moments from several characters, and of course, the ending.
discuss! this season doesnt suck, this calls for discussion!

Mel

SPOILERS.

4x04

• Heavyweight and long monologues all over the place - this reminded me why I love Justified for: light and quick dialogues (exact opposite).
  • Introduction of couple was a bit unnecessary - Carol's empathy is all gone and it was well established in previous episodes, no need to show it again.
  • We will see more of Bob or at least he will go away in spectacular way - too much back story paving just to waste him like the others.
  • I was lost when it comes to spatial awareness - jumping from one location to another in inconsistent way. Probably good indication of location recycling. Filler episode?
  • Carol is gone - there are some rumours of using this as setup for spin-off.
Overall very lousy episode.

4x05

• Very quiet episode - there are numerous scenes, where they did hold back with talking. Instead of explicit use of words, story is driven by close-ups, gestures and decisions leading to actions. Major reason why I liked this episode so much.
  • Hershel centric episode. Scott Wilson is given opportunity to do more than just preaching and he delivers goods. Moment after Rick  informed Hershel about Carol is one of the best in the series so far - great timing from writers and subtle performance (skipping whole conversation worked very well). That was repeated few times across the whole episode.
  • Sense of danger - this is very problematic area for TWD. This season is very promising so far - group is constantly attacked from every direction. Infection has ended - group is weak, still has to face consequences of things done by Carol (what will Tyreese/Daryl do?) and the Governor is back in the picture (I hope they won't wait till season finale to resolve this conflict).
  • I liked the look of the episode: cold lights of the lamp, flashlights and cars mixed with deep shadows.
Hard to say anything negative about this episode. Can we get more of this on regular basis?