Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Started by wilder, June 30, 2011, 05:03:37 AM

wilder

In the bleak days of the Cold War, espionage veteran George Smiley is forced from semi-retirement to uncover a Soviet agent within MI6's echelons.

Directed by Tomas Alfredson
Release Date - December 9, 2011
International Teaser - http://tinyurl.com/6j5jta9
IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1340800/

socketlevel

yo let the right one in guy. this trailer is pretty great. awesome cast and amazing music
the one last hit that spent you...

Pubrick

hey freaks get interested in this movie it looks awesome despite a shitty title and kinda boring premise!

and there's someone in it called Cumberbatch.. haha what a dumb name.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Benedict Cumberbatch is all kinds of awesome. He also happens to have the single Britishest name of all time.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

He made up that name so he would dominate the Google results. There are basically no other results for "Cumberbatch." No one else has this name.

P Heat

Quote from: socketlevel on June 30, 2011, 01:05:43 PM
yo let the right one in guy. this trailer is pretty great. awesome cast and amazing music

exactly what i would of said.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: P Heat on July 19, 2011, 11:40:57 AM
Quote from: socketlevel on June 30, 2011, 01:05:43 PM

exactly what i would of said.

Considering his Let the Right One In temperament, he's perfect for John le Carre. It would be cool if he was dedicated to adapting all the George Smiley based novels because the character does deserve an extended film coverage so audiences can get to know him the way fans of novels already do, but odds are this will be a one time deal only. Too bad.

Pas

The novel is pretty awesome. I also liked the TV series, though I can't remember if it was Tinker or Smiley's People... maybe both???

Anyway I'm very excited for this.

shadow_hippie

Looks fantastic. Been wondering, is it worth reading the book or watching the prior series now or should I just wait and watch Oldman knock it out of the park? I'll probably get around to the others eventually, but I can't decide if I should go into this one fresh or not.
There Will Be Bastardo

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

samsong

took me a while to find this thread.  damn you wilderesque and your extraneous commas.

tinker tailor soldier spy is excellent.  a dense, confounding, brilliantly constructed espionage procedural that's so confidently slow and so satisfying by its end.  i wanted to see it again immediately.  i wasn't huge on let the right one in but it's the work of a talented filmmaker and here he's honed his talents to near perfection.  the actors are as on point in their craft as alfredson is, the entire cast giving uniformly excellent performances.  comparisons to zodiac will be both inevitable and legion, and while i find these types of comparisons lazy ("it's the _____ of this year!!!") it should give you a sense of this film's greatness.  absolutely recommend this.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: samsong on December 09, 2011, 06:06:26 PM
took me a while to find this thread.  damn you wilderesque and your extraneous commas.

Fair enough... edited.

pete

holy shit this was good. I was a little lost in parts, thank God wikipedia clears shit up.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mogwai

Quote from: pete on December 25, 2011, 02:48:49 AM
holy shit this was good. I was a little lost in parts, thank God wikipedia clears shit up.

That's exactly my thought during some parts during the movie. :yabbse-smiley: I liked it too.

pete

it was also the best shot film of the year, next to tree of life.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton