South By Southwest (& Other Music Festivals)

Started by RegularKarate, February 24, 2004, 02:03:32 PM

Dirk

Lollapalooza Canned!
Source: NME.com

LOLLAPALOOZA has been cancelled, just three weeks before it was due to kick off.

The 31-date, 16-city tour was pulled due to poor ticket sales, according to organisers.

Festival co-founder and Jane's Addiction singer Perry Farrell said: "My heart aches along with the bands and all of our employees, whose hard work developed one of the most exciting and important tours that this nation was to see."

This year's bill was set to feature Morrissey, PJ Harvey, Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips, and The String Cheese Incident.

Advance ticket sales were below estimates, except in New York, and promoters and organisers were facing losing several million dollars. The decision to cancel Lollapalooza made last night (June 21).

Marc Geiger, co-founder of the tour said: "I am in utter disbelief that a concert of this stature, with the most exciting line-up I've seen in years did not galvanise ticket sales. I'm surprised that given the great bands and the reduced ticket prices that we didn't have enough sales to sustain the tour. Concert promoters across the country are facing similar problems. Many summer tours are experiencing weak ticket sales."
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Just Withnail

So I'm pretty fucking pumped for Roskilde right about now. Leaving in just a few hours now, should be there sunday evening. I'll try to post updates on the most important gigs, when they kick off next thursday.

Film Student

(Edit: Here ya go, RK, my deepest apologies)

Okie dokie, I'm going to this festival next week (along with RegularKarate and Pedro), and I need some help sorting through the bands... I'm extremely excited, but a lot of the bands I've never heard of, and many are playing at the same time.

I'm definitely seeing Pixies, Ben Harper, Elvis Costello, Cat Power, The Killers, Ryan Adams, Dashboard Confessional, Spoon, Wilco, The Roots, and Modest Mouse. The other time slots are totally up for grabs, and I need some direction on who to see.

So here goes:

Should I see Gomez or Franz Ferdinand? (I know both of them, I just can't decide which I want to see more)

Louque or Tea Leaf Green?

Bob Schneider or the Slip?

Neko Case or Sloan?

Broken Social Scene or Particle?

Howie Day or The Gourds?

My Morning Jacket or Los Amigos Invisibles?

Neville Brothers or the Wailers?

Ben Kweller or North Miss. All Stars?

Cake or Medeski Martin and Wood?
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

mogwai

©brad

these are the ones i know.

Quote from: Film Student
Bob Schneider or the Slip?

Broken Social Scene or Particle?

My Morning Jacket or Los Amigos Invisibles?

Neville Brothers or the Wailers?

Ben Kweller or North Miss. All Stars?

RegularKarate

Louque or Tea Leaf Green? <-neither if you're seeing the Killers

Neko Case or Sloan? <- Neither, Patty Griffin

Howie Day or The Gourds? <- the Gizourds

My Morning Jacket or Los Amigos Invisibles? <second half of MMJ (you'll be at Modest Mouse till after 6)

Neville Brothers or the Wailers? <- Neither, you're getting a good spot for the Pixies (just keep your place from the Dashboard show, it's the same stage)

Ben Kweller or North Miss. All Stars? < Neither, you've got less than an hour to get from The Roots to a good spot for Elvis Costello

Cake or Medeski Martin and Wood?< Cake, unless you want to see Ben "Snoring" Harper

mogwai

Quote from: RegularKarateBen "Snoring" Harper
blasphemy!

RegularKarate

sorry... I think he's a very talented overrated hippy

Pedro

it's all about broken social scene, though.  i've seen them twice before.  both were amazing shows.  im looking forward to the third.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Film Student

.if anything you must see medeski martin and wood......they get lumped into that jam band scene w/ phush, string cheese, moe ..etc.....but their sh*t is wicked stuff....and they just put out a new album thats their best yet...they are more greyboy allstars than typical hippy stuff.....but yet they are more experimental jazzy stuff...not so mainstream sounding [i.e. galactic]....

plus they look cool:

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: RegularKarateBen "Snoring" Harper
blasphemy truth!
under the paving stones.

Film Student

Quote from: RegularKarateLouque or Tea Leaf Green? <-neither if you're seeing the Killers

Neko Case or Sloan? <- Neither, Patty Griffin

Howie Day or The Gourds? <- the Gizourds

My Morning Jacket or Los Amigos Invisibles? <second half of MMJ (you'll be at Modest Mouse till after 6)

Neville Brothers or the Wailers? <- Neither, you're getting a good spot for the Pixies (just keep your place from the Dashboard show, it's the same stage)

Ben Kweller or North Miss. All Stars? < Neither, you've got less than an hour to get from The Roots to a good spot for Elvis Costello

Cake or Medeski Martin and Wood?< Cake, unless you want to see Ben "Snoring" Harper

Thanks RK, I'm still trying to get the schedule straight and that helps a lot...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

bigperm

Safe As Milk

Reinhold

fuck. i even read the nefarious search thread for pointers before i created the Vegoose Thread. thanks for the RD

Quote from: Reinhold Messnerthis looks like a nice one to check out. ... it's not quite as much of a stoner lineup as bonnaroo, and it seems like it'd be kickin.

n addition to Dave Matthews and Friends, the following artists are scheduled to perform:

The Vegoose Music Festival in Las Vegas, Oct 29-30

"VEGOOSE will draw inspiration from its Las Vegas location and, of course, the spirit of Halloween to create a unique and unforgettable festival experience. There will be interactive attractions, performance artists, and art installations including elements of the Las Vegas entertainment and performance community. Don't forget to bring your costume!"

» Widespread Panic
» Jack Johnson
» Phil Lesh & Friends w/ special guest Ryan Adams
» The Meters (Art Neville, Zigaboo Modeliste,
George Porter, Jr., Leo Nocentelli)
» Trey Anastasio
» The Arcade Fire
» Primus
» The Flaming Lips
» The String Cheese Incident
» Ween
» The Shins
» moe.
» Spoon
» Gov't Mule
» Digable Planets
» North Mississippi Allstars
» Michael Franti & Spearhead
» The Decemberists
» Atmosphere
» Blackalicious
» The Magic Numbers
» Lyrics Born
» ALO
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

Quote from: Reinhold Messnerfuck. i even read the nefarious search thread for pointers before i created the Vegoose Thread. thanks for the RD

Quote from: Reinhold Messnerthis looks like a nice one to check out. ... it's not quite as much of a stoner lineup as bonnaroo, and it seems like it'd be kickin.

n addition to Dave Matthews and Friends, the following artists are scheduled to perform:

The Vegoose Music Festival in Las Vegas, Oct 29-30

"VEGOOSE will draw inspiration from its Las Vegas location and, of course, the spirit of Halloween to create a unique and unforgettable festival experience. There will be interactive attractions, performance artists, and art installations including elements of the Las Vegas entertainment and performance community. Don't forget to bring your costume!"

» Widespread Panic
» Jack Johnson
» Phil Lesh & Friends w/ special guest Ryan Adams
» The Meters (Art Neville, Zigaboo Modeliste,
George Porter, Jr., Leo Nocentelli)
» Trey Anastasio
» The Arcade Fire
» Primus
» The Flaming Lips
» The String Cheese Incident
» Ween
» The Shins
» moe.
» Spoon
» Gov't Mule
» Digable Planets
» North Mississippi Allstars
» Michael Franti & Spearhead
» The Decemberists
» Atmosphere
» Blackalicious
» The Magic Numbers
» Lyrics Born
» ALO

i found this by typing music festivals into the search field. then clicked "search for all terms".

the first thing i mention in the Nefarious Search guide is to ALWAYS click "search for all terms". if u do that, u will find what ur looking for, ALWAYS. i hav now stickied the "how to search" topic. we WILL make it through this!
under the paving stones.