Libertines

Started by SoNowThen, August 27, 2003, 10:22:38 AM

SoNowThen

Didn't know anything about them until the frontman went insane from his crack and heroin habit and broke into the other musician's house...

then I said, better check these kids out.

So anybody listen to them? I'm gonna go buy the album Up The Bracket.
Seems like they just released a new single called Don't Look Back Into The Sun. Now, is this a stand-alone single, or is it supposed to be included on an up and coming album???
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

eff the music, tell me more stories about the crack/heroin habit..
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

go to nme.com for the whole hilarious story

but seriously, i need to know if the new single is gonna be on an album, because i fucking hate overlapping songs. i'd rather just get an album... but it's such a good song, i wanna buy it...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

I got the album. It's fantastic. Go buy it you bastards!!!!!

Pwaybloe

Does it come with free crack and heroin?

SoNowThen

actually, it does!!! but no needle or spoon or pipe. you gotta supply those yourself

but hey, it's only $11, so whadda you expect...

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenI got the album. It's fantastic. Go buy it you bastards!!!!!

yeah its a really good album.  i saw them (sans pete) in washington dc about a month ago.  (the single is a stand alone, crazy brits!)  you should download the single version of I Get Along, i prefer it to the one on the album.  its a little less straight ahead, and bit slower.  it grooves more.  i'd like to see them again, but the FULL band.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

so is Carl the singer then?

'cause I was under the impression that Pete did a lot of the singing...

yeah, so, the single for I Get Along (which has Don't Look Back... as a b-side), it's different? If so, I'm buying it tomorrow.

I'm jealous that you got to see them...

modage

hmm.... i'm not sure.  i thought pete was the "main" frontman, but they were like a lennon/mccartney thing with songwriting.  although, i could be wrong.  yeah, carl sang all the songs and a guitar tech played in place of pete i guess.  so, not the full experience, but pretty rockin.  the drummer is really good.  
umm i dont know if its the different version or not on the single.  i know that before "up the bracket" came out, their debut single was the double a side with What A Waster/I Get Along on it.   i dont know if it even came out on cd, because the sound quality on the downloads i have from a long time ago is pretty primitive, i think the versions of those floating around were transfered from vinyl.  but thats just a guess i really have no idea.  you should definitely look into it though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

May I say a cross between the Strokes and The Smiths ? I don't know what makes me think that but I do. Pretty good.

SoNowThen

gotta throw the Clash in there somewhere...

I love 'em. I can't stop listening to this disc.

Pas

Yes it's true, even the Pistols on some songs.

SoNowThen

D'you listen to the single for I Get Along? It's got four other songs, including Don't Look Back Into The Sun. If you dig the album, pick up this ep!! Good good good!

GoneSavage

Not sure what to make about all the Clash references being tossed at The Libertines, because, god love them, The Clash never had this much fun.  Up The Bracket is 'alternative' music in the age of 'so-called alternative'.  I recommend this slab to anyone who likes to smell whiskey and cigarette smoke when they listen.  Please buy it.

Stefen

Just picked this up. This cd rocks. I haven't had this much fun with a new album in a long time. Good stuff. Chances are they aernt going to be releasing any new music for awhile eh?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.