The Fugitive- appreciation thread

Started by NEON MERCURY, September 15, 2003, 12:28:32 PM

NEON MERCURY

The film The Fugitive was a "mesmerizing" thriller.  It had me on the "edge of my seat".  There were so many twists and turns I almost got dizzy.  To celebrate Tommy Lee Jone's birthday,  who plays Samuel Gerard in this film,  I thought we ought to take time out to revisit this Oscar nominated "classic".  Happy 57th Tommy!

-filmcritic :wink:

phil marlowe

haha that was really funny. the happy 57th tommy! was just perfect. 'mesmericing' haha.

Alexandro

The Fugitive is one of the last truly great action movies to come out. This was smart, thrilling and had great performances. It was before al this cartoonish cgi crap, which makes it even better..........

I don't like the fact that since then, Tommy Lee Jones has been playing cops after  suspects every year...

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Find Your Magali

I'm pretty much middle of the road on this one. I don't have anything really bad to say about it, but if I never see it again, that's fine, too.

The combination of Ford's dull performance and Tommy Lee Jones' brilliant work gives the movie a weird kind of unbalance. Which I guess is why the (dreadful) sequel ended up being about Jones' team of marshals. "The Fugitive" was, in essence, a Tommy Lee Jones movie with Ford as the celebrity guest star. Also a changing of the guard, in terms of movie stardom, between Jones and Ford.

Anyway, I always think of this movie in tandem with "In the Line of Fire," since they both came out in the summer of 1993, and I much, much prefer the Eastwood flick, which is more entertaining and more rewatchable.

My two cents.

Weak2ndAct

I used to be a huge fan of The Fugitive.  Watched it again recently and hmmm... I dunno, it just didn't hold up IMHO.  Jones is great, though some his team kinda got on my nerves.  Completely spaced that Juilanne Moore was in it.  After seeing 'The 4th Man,' I'll never look at Jeroen Krabbe the same again (I won't spoil it for those who don't know).

FYM, yeah, I'm with you on In the Line of Fire.  Eastwood at his grizzled best.