nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

SoNowThen

Pirates, Gerry, Owning Mahony, and The Cooler should be watched by the end of the week.

Does Big Fish count for 2003? I hope not, as I just don't have time to see it...

Oh, I would also like to take this moment to remind everyone about the stellar dvd releases in January, not the least of which is Band Of Outsiders. Transfer and extras are primo -- I would keep that in mind when picking my 5 dvd noms...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThenDoes Big Fish count for 2003?
Yes.

Quote from: SoNowThenOh, I would also like to take this moment to remind everyone about the stellar dvd releases in January, not the least of which is Band Of Outsiders. Transfer and extras are primo -- I would keep that in mind when picking my 5 dvd noms...
Can somebody share a link to some 2003 DVD releases? I think we need some help with this category...

Once again, I encourage everyone to vote, even if your ballot has a lot of empty spaces. We really need more votes...

SoNowThen

Good dvds SoNowThen can think of that came out this year:

Once Upon A Time In America
Once Upon A Time In The West
La Strada
Adventures Of Antoine Doinel box
Three Colors Trilogy
Le Cercle Rouge
Band Of Outsiders
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
Knife In The Water
The Bergman film Trilogy
BRD Trilogy
Schizopolis
Straw Dogs
Two Towers: Extended
Umberto D
Throne Of Blood
Gangs Of New York
Black Hawk Down: Special Edition
Casablanca
Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
Tokyo Story
In A Lonely Place
Femme Fatale
All The Real Girls
All That Jazz

...to name a few
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

to name some more...

Alien Quadrilogy
West Side Story: Special Edition
Finding Nemo
The Lion King: Platinum Collection
Punch-Drunk Love
The Adventures Of Indiana Jones Box Set
Scarface: Deluxe Gift Set
The Matrix Reloaded
The Adventures Of Robin Hood
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Seabiscuit: 2 Disc Collectors Set
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
Pirates Of The Carribean: Curse Of The Black Pearl
The Pianist: 2/3 Disc Canadian Edition
Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
X2
The Chaplin Collection Volume One
About A Boy
25th Hour
About Schmidt
Road To Perdition
Solaris
Adaptation
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Let's not forget the Fox Studio Classics such as SUNRISE (:wink:), Trouble in Paradise, and the Best of the Will Ferrell.

And um.... may I ask for an extension for January 28th perhaps? I ask because I'm seeing Monster, Girl With A Pearl Earring, and the House of Sand and Fog on the 27th. Is this extension possible or do you just want what I have now?

just enter www.dvd.ign.com and watch the release dates on each dvd.  that form you'll know if it's 2003 or not.
context, context, context.

modage

Quote from: CinephileIs this extension possible or do you just want what I have now?
well, just remember even if you dont nominate the films, if you see them before final voting you'll be able to vote for them as long as they're on the ballot.
i am not an admin
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

xerxes

so if patricia clarkson's work in the station agent is not going to be considered supporting (which i'm pretty sure i read somewhere in here), does that mean that the same will go for bobby cannavale?

cine

SoNowThen

Can we vote for 400 Blows as a dvd, seeing as how it was remastered and has more extras than the original Criterion oop disc?

RegularKarate

Quote from: SoNowThenCan we vote for 400 Blows as a dvd, seeing as how it was remastered and has more extras than the original Criterion oop disc?

If this version was released in '03, then I would imagine so

Myxo

I wonder if PDL will win "Best DVD"

:?

Pubrick

Quote from: MyxomatosisI wonder if PDL will win "Best DVD"

:?
if it does then i will campaign for the DVD category to be taken off next year's XIXAXIES. ppl are just not ready for it.

anyway VOTE NOW SLACKERS DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE?????????? YOU DON'T WANT SLORG TO WIN AGAIN DO YOU?
under the paving stones.

life_boy

How about a little senseless campaigning?

For Your Consideration: Best DVD

cine

Quote from: life_boyHow about a little senseless campaigning?
How about not?